How do you contact a Reviewer?

I was reading this forum because I too am curious how long it takes for a new cache to be published-- I hid my first cache on 6/30/10 and have had no acknowledgment since submitting my online request that day. Perhaps the holiday weekend has something to do with that. I see the advice to "contact your local reviewer" -- how does a person do that? I would like to add something to the description I submitted, namely a list of the items I enclosed. One of them is a hitchhiker (a toy monkey) with a TB attached that has a mission to travel to all the other 49 states and then return home to me, so I am very anxious to have him found so his journey can begin.

I was reading this forum because I too am curious how long it takes for a new cache to be published-- I hid my first cache on 6/30/10 and have had no acknowledgment since submitting my online request that day. Perhaps the holiday weekend has something to do with that. I see the advice to "contact your local reviewer" -- how does a person do that? I would like to add something to the description I submitted, namely a list of the items I enclosed. One of them is a hitchhiker (a toy monkey) with a TB attached that has a mission to travel to all the other 49 states and then return home to me, so I am very anxious to have him found so his journey can begin.

Did you leave the checkbox checked that says "Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)"?

You can edit the listing anytime.

Once it's listed you can't change the cache type or move the coords very far, but everything else can be changed now or after publication.

You can usually contact a reviewer through the email contact on their profile page. Find a reviewer by looking at the very first log on a local cache.

One of the most common reasons for a reviewer not responding to a new submission is the first time hider neglects to check the "this cache is active" box on the submission page.

Your reviewer may have taken a trip to. Many folks went to Geowoodstock this past weekend. That's a very big geo-event.

Good luck.

There is no cache in your home state awaiting review under your account. Did you check the box that says "Yes, this listing is active"? If you didn't the reviewer will not see your cache. Same if you disabled the listing.

It is also possible it was never actually submitted. Can you go back into your profile and see the cache page?

If not, it was never actually submitted.

Edited by briansnat

The others are correct, you haven't checked the "Yes, this listing is active" box. Until you do the reviewer won't see your cache in the queue. However, there is another traditional cache very close to yours. Your reviewer is going to tell you to move it.

I would like to add something to the description I submitted, namely a list of the items I enclosed. One of them is a hitchhiker (a toy monkey) with a TB attached that has a mission to travel to all the other 49 states and then return home to me, so I am very anxious to have him found so his journey can begin.

Go to the cache page you created - it should start with http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details. . .

On the upper right side of the page, select "Log your visit." On the "Type of Log" option, select "Write note." Write about the items and the TB you`re leaving, then at the bottom of the page where it says "Dropped off any trackables?" select the TB`s name and hit the "Submit log entry" button. The TB will now be listed in the cache`s inventory. If you want to leave the log there you can, or if you want a clean cache page you can delete the log and TB will still stay in the inventory.

I should write a book for new geocachers.

It will be amazing.

And have a big picture of my face on the front, back and inside covers,

and a full sized fold out of me in the middle, the rest will mention briefly the history of, present rules, and future of the game, according to me and how I like to play.

The title will be ripped straight off the side of the outback steakhouse near by.

"No rules, just right."

There is a lot of bad information in [The Joy of Geocaching]. I would not recommend it for new geocachers.

Really? That's the first Geocaching book I read. What was bad about it? Now I'm worried I may have learned something I need to forget! :(

--Q

P.S. Shortly thereafter I read The Complete Idiot's Guide..., Groundspeak's baby, so maybe it cancels out the other...

There is a lot of bad information in [The Joy of Geocaching]. I would not recommend it for new geocachers.

Really? That's the first Geocaching book I read. What was bad about it? Now I'm worried I may have learned something I need to forget! :(

--Q

P.S. Shortly thereafter I read The Complete Idiot's Guide..., Groundspeak's baby, so maybe it cancels out the other...

I didn't like that they featured a cache where the CO painted graffiti on a bridge to mark the location and included a photo of the graffiti in the book. They made no mention that it was not acceptable. A newbie might see that and think it's a grand idea.

Regarding burying caches, they said "as long as it isn't covered with soil, anything goes" and "The only hard and fast rule is that caches can't be buried. They can be all but buried, but must be available without digging". That is not true.

They also recommend carrying a knife to cut through vines and overgrowth. Bad idea. We try to be low impact, not high impact.

They stated that Waymarking requires a separate premium membership fee from Geocaching.com. Not true. Your premium membership here covers you on Waymarking.

They make it seem OK to keep geocoins, when in reality there are rare circumstances where keeping them is OK

They state that a difficulty rating of 3 should take 15 minutes and 5 difficulty a few hours. Not if they are rated correctly.

There is probably more but I forget.

Edited by briansnat

Thanx for so many fast replies! Is there a book called "Geocaching for Dummies"? -- I obviously need a copy. Next question; where and how can I activate the listing??

I haven't read any of the books, but i did spend some time browsing them at the book store. If I were to buy one I would buy the Idiots guide to geocaching. It seemed to be the best to me, and if Groundspeak is endorsing it, it should be filled with accurate information, approved by Groundspeak.

Thanx for so many fast replies! Is there a book called "Geocaching for Dummies"? -- I obviously need a copy. Next question; where and how can I activate the listing??

I haven't read any of the books, but i did spend some time browsing them at the book store. If I were to buy one I would buy the Idiots guide to geocaching. It seemed to be the best to me, and if Groundspeak is endorsing it, it should be filled with accurate information, approved by Groundspeak.

lol.gif

Thanks for that info, briansnat. I enjoyed the book, but I recall it did seem a little fluffy in places, and I can see where those things might cause a newbie who didn't continue to educate themselves to go wrong. If I read it again now, I might catch those things, too!

I recall when I read FTF recently, I was totally indignant that our hero had created a cache from an Altoids tin. :lol:

--Q