70+ cache day?

The most obvious part of planning a day like that is properly planning your route. Just finding the next nearest cache willy-nilly makes for hard work and poor use of time. When planning my 50+ (an quite often 100+) cache days, I generate a GSAK list of all the caches, GPS loaded with hints at quick access, PDA/Phone for on-site intel plus my geocaching bag with tools and other accessories needed during the hunt.

Here is a copy of one of the lists I made:

http://www.showstop.org/geocaching/list/tarot.html

The most obvious part of planning a day like that is properly planning your route. Just finding the next nearest cache willy-nilly makes for hard work and poor use of time. When planning my 50+ (an quite often 100+) cache days, I generate a GSAK list of all the caches, GPS loaded with hints at quick access, PDA/Phone for on-site intel plus my geocaching bag with tools and other accessories needed during the hunt.

I have a plan and route but how did u make that list it would be so helpful

Copy/paste from a previous post-

Many people have seen the cache lists I publish from GSAK such as this one:

http://www.showstop.org/geocaching/list/colton.html

Here is how you can make your own list just like the one above.

(Directions apply to GSAK v7.x. Other versions have minor differences in the Tools and Filter menus.)

Add the USER SORT column (View ->Add Column)

http://www.gsak.net/help/hs32550.htm

This will automatically be placed as the first column.

Set the starting number and increment for the USER SORT column (Tools->Options->General)

This is usually 0 (Current Value) and 1 (Increment).

http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7500.htm

Double click on the USER SORT box next to the cache you want to add. GSAK will automatically add the number. Select another cache, then double click in the USER SORT box. GSAK will automatically add the next number in the sequence. Repeat until you have ordered all the caches. (You can also manually enter numbers with a single click and type in the number).

When done, you can view just those selected in the USER SORT column with a filter. (Search->Filter->Other)

http://www.gsak.net/help/hs4005.htm

On the User Sort option, select the pull down (default shows Not Applicable) and select GREATER THAN. A new box will pop up next to it, enter 1 in that box, then click GO at the bottom.

This filter will exclude all caches that do not have a USER SORT number. Click the top of the column to sort numerically.

(The filter can be canceled at any time: Search->Cancel Filter)

If you are ready to print, select File->Print. The print option window will pop up. If you want to add the hints as the last column, you need to add that to the CUSTOM COLUMN.

Print options-

Grid Colums - Check this button

Report Heading - Add any text here for the print heading

Print Grid Lines - Check this button

Replace graphics with text - UNcheck this button

Hotlink waypoint code - Optional, UNcheck for print only

CUSTOM COLUMN

Print - Check this box

Heading - Hint

Length - 50

Special Tags - %hint

Once that is done, select the PRINT PREVIEW option. This will generate the page in your default web browser. Print the page directly from your browser. You may want to change the page orientation from Portrait to Landscape depending on how many columns you wish to display.

If you wish to publish the list to the web, just save that .html file in your browser and publish to your personal web space. Be sure to publish any necessary image files for the cache types.

Another quick note about views. The print list I made included the specific columns I wanted to have print. I have this saved as a custom view that I use just when printing. Your columns and the order of those columns may differ.

My standard GSAK view has another 6 columns that I don't print because they waste space on the page. It would be best to design your print view with only the necessary information that will fit on the page and save that view.

http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7780.htm

Be sure to save your default view so that you can switch back and forth with the view selection tool (upper right). Be sure to select the print view before printing.

I have done this twice, once for 77 caches and once for 130. The 130 day was a power trail over 5 hours, no real planning there. The 77 day was out in the plains of Denver, also over about 5 hours. As previously stated, the key is to make a plan and stick to it. Particularly, stick with easy caches that were found on the previous attempt. Avoid parts of town that are difficult to navigate around (traffic, lots of 1 ways, divided highways, etc).

WRITE DOWN your list on a sheet of paper and check them off as you find them -- deal with the logging later. Hopefully you're going with a buddy; when one of you is signing the log, the other should be pulling up the next one on the GPS so as not to waste any time.

Good luck, have fun, and don't run out of gas!

Patience....I always wanted to have a big caching day (87 total in one day) and I ended up regretting it. I was bored to tears after about the 50th one (it was a series....same containers....same hiding spots) and the logging......my GOD the logging!!!!! Swore I'd never do over 30 in one day again. I hope you have a better experience.

Patience....I always wanted to have a big caching day (87 total in one day) and I ended up regretting it. I was bored to tears after about the 50th one (it was a series....same containers....same hiding spots) and the logging......my GOD the logging!!!!! Swore I'd never do over 30 in one day again. I hope you have a better experience.

I'm curious, why didn't you stop after the 50th. one?

Ok so im planning a very big cache day, about 70 ish. I was wondering what things i will need. I know the essentials, gps, cache bag--things like that, but what else???

Where you plan on doing this? Somewhere in Ohio, I assume? I mean you could do 70 parking lot micros in Suburban Youngstown in 5 hours. Whatever you want to do, you'll need a Pocket Query and a plan.

A plan.
I will agree with those that said, a plan. I've had a few pretty large number days, and I've cached with some pretty large number folks, and that is what they all have in common. Make a plan, a good, carefully thought out plan, but most of all, stick to that plan!! Do not be tempted, once in the field, to make a side-trip to grab that one that's only 300 feet away. You knew that when you made your list, and there was a reason why you didn't stop for that one yet. It made more sense to pick it up later on. Believe in The List. The List is your friend.

I have a plan and route but how did u make that list it would be so helpful

I have made routes using Microsoft's Streets and Trips. There is a free trial version available online. But all that will give you is a rough guide that you will still want to fine-tune. Also, much depends on what you select as your starting and ending points.

Good luck with this, and I hope you'll take a minute to let us know how you did!

Ok so im planning a very big cache day, about 70 ish. I was wondering what things i will need. I know the essentials, gps, cache bag--things like that, but what else???

Where you plan on doing this? Somewhere in Ohio, I assume? I mean you could do 70 parking lot micros in Suburban Youngstown in 5 hours. Whatever you want to do, you'll need a Pocket Query and a plan.

Actually, I've found that parking lot micros (aka LPC's) tend to be counter-productive for a power cache run. Perhaps I simply haven't planned those parts well enough, but I find that I spend way too much time crossing roads, driving slowly around buildings, waiting for stoplights and driving way past the next cache until I can find a place that will let me make a U-turn.

I've used GSAK to make lists similar to ShowStop's links, but added UserData4 column to break the list down into segments based on location on the map.

Having the map-segments in a column allowed me to make the decision to skip a segment and know what caches I could still find before being at an event.

Which brings us to: Make sure you don't have to be anywhere by a certain time, that will limit your caching. Instead of 50 or 70 caches, you'll only be able to get 27 caches.

Make a path that is circular. If it is linear, start at the far end and work your way back.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

Actually, I've found that parking lot micros (aka LPC's) tend to be counter-productive for a power cache run. Perhaps I simply haven't planned those parts well enough, but I find that I spend way too much time crossing roads, driving slowly around buildings, waiting for stoplights and driving way past the next cache until I can find a place that will let me make a U-turn.

Good point. That could be true, but I don't indulge in that kind of stuff. :( I just noticed he's from Akron Ohio, and brought up Youngstown because there is/was a parking lot micro power trail along a suburban shopping strip. Which I remember from these forums because it was designated a power trail and closed to further cache placements way back when power trails weren't allowed.