Police blow up geocache

An online search conducted by OPD revealed that this particular container has been hidden since 2007 and over 65 geocachers have located the item.

A search of the same web site revealed numerous other locations for geocaches in the

Owensboro area.

These containers may cause alarm if located by members of the public.

Investigators warn that all suspicious containers should not be assumed to be a geocache, and in fact, they could potentially be hazardous.

The general public should still contact police anytime a suspicions container or device is located.

hell yeah! someone should suggest to this news group that they should publish the exact locations of said "geocaches" in the Owensboro area. we demand public safety! save us from the mctoys! :blink:

OWENSBORO, KY (WFIE) - Monday evening, Owenboro Police located and detonated a suspicious device near Gabe's Tower.

Well, if I did my research right, Gabe's Tower is at or near the corner of Triplett St and 18th St. I don't see a cache there now, so if that's where it was, its been archived already.

OWENSBORO, KY (WFIE) - Monday evening, Owenboro Police located and detonated a suspicious device near Gabe's Tower.

Well, if I did my research right, Gabe's Tower is at or near the corner of Triplett St and 18th St. I don't see a cache there now, so if that's where it was, its been archived already.

i was going to log a find. i think a piece of the logbook fell into my backyard. :lol:

i was also going to post a "NM" log... :blink:

I love when the media sensationalize everything, even after they determined it was not an explosive device they still have this headline above the video

EXPLOSIVE.jpg

Technically they are correct. They just failed to mention that they were the ones who brought the explosive device to the premises. :blink:

Actually I think it reads "Explosive device found in parking lot of Gabe's Tower..." The ... meaning "well it wasn't actually an exploseive device. It did explode, but it was not explosive, now a word from our sponsor"

Technically they are correct. They just failed to mention that they were the ones who brought the explosive device to the premises. :blink:

A bit off topic: That's similar to an ideal I express to newly hired deputies:

"Every conflict you respond to is an armed conflict, because you are bringing a gun into a volatile environment"

oooh wooow breaking news lol

An online search conducted by OPD revealed that this particular container has been hidden since 2007 and over 65 geocachers have located the item.

A search of the same web site revealed numerous other locations for geocaches in the

Owensboro area.

i wonder what name they used to register to be able to see the caches, maybe THIS ?

:blink:

And another one bites the dust.

I firmly believe that geocaching should be standard training for all bomb squad members. :blink:

Because if it were............................................................?

Then they would know that they were blowing up a geocache!

I firmly believe that geocaching should be standard training for all bomb squad members. :blink:

Exactly - they'd feel bad when their superiors order them to blow it up.

Exactly - they'd feel bad when their superiors order them to blow it up.

nah... it'd still be awesome to blow up. hey boss, i know where 4 more of these are... can we go get them too?

So what is it, don't worry if the thing is plastic? An Ammo Can? A five gallon pail?

You've got to be seriously kidding. I wonder what the wives, mothers and children of our bomb squad members would have to say about that?

And since we have seen reports in here on more than one occasion that those in positions of responsibility at GS are talking to police agencies on a regular basis, I wonder if they could possibly share their insight wrt this issue? You know, since they must have certainly brought the topic up during these discussions.

Maybe, perhaps?

Edited by Team Cotati

Because no one would ever think of taping a geocache sticker to a bomb ever...

And yet, miraculously, it hasn't happened. Yet. And when it does and some idiot calls for an "End of Geocaching for All Time" I will be there to remind people of all the other, much, much more common items that people see everyday in there waking hours that have been used to hide and/or contain an explosive device.*

*Hint: goes "vroom vroom" and kills more people than bombs every day. When have you ever heard of somebody discussing the "End of Interstate Travel for All Time" because somebody put a bomb in a Chrysler??

Edited by Castle Mischief

Hmmm. I'm sensing perhaps there's a problem with the name "Bird Cage" for caches.

GCD531

Note that the Bellevue Bomb Squad signed the log on that one...

Also note they did NOT blow it up. They cut a hole in the end to see what was in it: a TLLOSL - took look, left hole, signed log. :(

:42 into the video shows it going boom boom loudly and with a big red flash of light.

Nevermind. You meant GCD531. :(

Edited by GeoBain

And yet, miraculously, it hasn't happened. Yet. And when it does and some idiot calls for an "End of Geocaching for All Time" I will be there to remind people of all the other, much, much more common items that people see everyday in there waking hours that have been used to hide and/or contain an explosive device.*

*Hint: goes "vroom vroom" and kills more people than bombs every day. When have you ever heard of somebody discussing the "End of Interstate Travel for All Time" because somebody put a bomb in a Chrysler??

"Yet." Great observation. And just as soon as a close relative or loved one of yours joins a police force bomb disposal squad, maybe then you'll have reasonable standing.

Until then, you and the rest of the glib jokers might want to keep it zipped.

Despicable.

Edited by Team Cotati

"Yet." Great observation. And just as soon as a close relative or loved one of yours joins a police force bomb disposal squad, maybe then you'll have reasonable standing.

Despicable.

Do you have a close relative that has lost his or her life by joining the police force or "bomb disposal squad"? or are you just trying to argue?

I am glib and you have no say in deciding if I keep it zipped. And go put a shirt on.

Guess this will save the owner some maintenance that it apparently needed.

Three observations:

1. A parking lot micro, in full view of people's houses across the street. What the heck is that building? Looks interesting. 2. Nice to see there is a new "bad idea" bookmark list, to replace "bomb scares and other fun stuff" bookmark list which was adopted when Questmaster was banned, but has been long since abandoned by the new owner. 3. The cache page contains a useless hint. Sorry, wrong thread. Couldn't resist. :(

Despicable.

I'm more worried for the safety of the actual (not hypothetical) members of my family and friends that are members of the police that do a laundry list of tasks that does not include bomb disposal.

Don't you have an Off Topic forum to spam?

Despicable.

Just FYI, all of our relatives are mortal too, you don't have the monopoly on it.

I firmly believe that geocaching should be standard training for all bomb squad members. :D

I was watching some of the Latitude 47 Blog videos and there was one about a bomb squad team member recommending Geocaching.

"Sgt. Byrd believes that other members of the bomb disposal community can learn to sharpen their awareness and stay safer through geocaching."

http://blog.geocaching.com/2010/08/geocach...st-found-video/

OH NOES! THERE'S A CONTAINER! CALL THE POLICE! this kind of pisses me off. people need to stop freaking out over such stupid things. Just a little investigation on the caller of bomb squad would have been enough to know what it was. But EOD just needs to roll on the counter explosives right away. People cant drop their wallet or forget their backpack at school anymore without EOD being called.