New attribute suggestion

dfx

i think a few of the very remote caches would benefit from that. the difficulty/terrain rating alone isn't enough to indicate whether or not the trip to the cache and back can be completed in a single day. a yes/no attribute would clearly tell the cacher if this is doable, or if it's required to take camping equipment/research accomodation.

This could be handy for some, but certainly too subjective to be universal.

If someone is contemplating going after a cache that remote, shouldn't they be able to figure out how long it would take for themselves?

CERTAINLY there are people who can do in one day what will take me two days ( I've seen them out there trotting up the trail as I wheeze along wishing for a flat spot...).

This could be handy for some, but certainly too subjective to be universal.

If someone is contemplating going after a cache that remote, shouldn't they be able to figure out how long it would take for themselves?

CERTAINLY there are people who can do in one day what will take me two days ( I've seen them out there trotting up the trail as I wheeze along wishing for a flat spot...).

I think the attribute could be useful. I'm immediately caused to remember the signs on the edge of the Grand Canyon --- the hike to the Colorado river being a half day down but a full day back, it tricks people into thinking they can make it in one day.

On the other hand, this information should also be in the cache listing text itself.

An attribute like "MAY Require Overnight Stay" also deals with the differences in skill levels of different cachers.

If we're going to have attributes for Telephone, Drinking Water and Available 24/7 this attribute idea makes perfect sense to me.

I agree with both points. I would like to see the attribute but yes when someone is contemplating going after a cache that remote they should be able to figure out how long it would take for themselves but way too many will go after a cache without reading the whole description first. Just like TB's that are to go do something and then return home, many have picked one up and said I am bringing it back for you right after It was started it and not even left the state yet.

Oh and AZcachemeister,,, "I've seen them out there trotting up the trail as I wheeze along wishing for a flat spot" I have had those excact thoughts! LOL

and I will be using your quote! "Oh!, but I am mad! As are we all. Only in our shared madness can we claim any degree of sanity"

LOL

There's always the backup options...

..contact the co

..read past logs

..if it looks like it's a significant trip, prepare for a significant trip.

I mean, the only time I can see unexpectedly getting looped into a far broader cache trip than planned is if the first stage or step or whatever leads to more unexpectedly. A multicache I prepare for more work and time by default. I take the cache description to heart, and if still uncertain read past logs to see what others thought.

An overnight attribute might be useful, but requiring time or length with the cache seems redundant and unnecessary, imo. If it could be a concern with a cache, it should be sufficiently discernable or explained in the cache description, or through past logs. And if not, then I presume it's not a time consuming cache, else I'd complain to the owner after finding out that it is :lol:

my 2p

An overnight attribute might be useful, but requiring time or length with the cache seems redundant and unnecessary, imo. If it could be a concern with a cache, it should be sufficiently discernable or explained in the cache description, or through past logs. And if not, then I presume it's not a time consuming cache, else I'd complain to the owner after finding out that it is :lol:

my 2p

I agree - but this is how I view all the attributes anyway. People SHOULD read the listing, and fortunately most caches that appear to be overnight trips do mention this fact in the listing and tend to scare people into reading. There's always that ONE guy though.

Attributes to me are convenience items to help with filtering.

I have a multi cache that's 180+km. If you use a car, you're in for about 6-8 hours of travel. If you, on the other hand, choose to walk you'll be staying overnight at least four nights (and you'll have very tired legs!). Because the listing recommends use of a car, I wouldn't put an "overnight stay" attribute on that one.

I'd say 'Significant Hike' already covers it.

Just how significant is up to the seeker to determine based on their own skills and ability.

I'm certainly not above considering any extra advice the CO may have to impart in the write-up!

that has nothing to do with having to spend the night someplace...it can be a long hike or just very steep, its a very broad statement not reflecting any particular meaning

Attributes to me are convenience items to help with filtering.

that's exactly the point. either you're looking for extended adventure trips, in which case you can try a PQ with that attribute, or you don't, in which case you can exclude it in your PQ.

Yes, attributes shouldn't be used (primarily) as descriptive of the cache - that's what the description's for. Yes, they can be useful for that for things like the hazards or details that could either be assumed or whatnot, but attributes are MOST useful for filtering. Things like plant hazards are good for people who have to avoid certain things for health concerns, or moral or safety or accessibility concerns, etc, etc.

They're not meant just for informational purposes. So I agree, really only the most significant 'properties' of a cache are feasible as attributes. Not for convenience, but practicality in sorting and searching.

They're not meant just for informational purposes. So I agree, really only the most significant 'properties' of a cache are feasible as attributes. Not for convenience, but practicality in sorting and searching.

in effect yes. in theory no. in theory, attributes are for informational purposes, and for convenience because they provide a quick overview without having to read the full description first.

public restrooms nearby? telephone nearby? drinking water nearby? can you think of any situation where a cacher would want to filter for those? (of course there's not a whole lot of caches which actually have those attributes set. but that doesn't change the fact that they exist.)

attributes tell you about certain qualities and properties of the cache and the location it's in, whether useful for filtering or not. the description will tell you why it has those certain properties.

Edited by dfx
in theory, attributes are for informational purposes, and for convenience because they provide a quick overview without having to read the full description first

Which is why I said...

They're not meant just for informational purposes
attributes shouldn't be used (primarily) as descriptive of the cache
Yes, they can be useful for that
attributes are MOST useful for filtering

etc... :anibad:

This was defense as to why attributes shouldn't just be created because it's 'nice' info to see. Only the most important or significant or practical or useful properties of a cache, imo, should be made attributes, otherwise it should be in the description or as notes in previous finders' logs.

I'd say 'Significant Hike' already covers it.

Just how significant is up to the seeker to determine based on their own skills and ability.

I'm certainly not above considering any extra advice the CO may have to impart in the write-up!

that has nothing to do with having to spend the night someplace...it can be a long hike or just very steep, its a very broad statement not reflecting any particular meaning

Sure, I was assuming a hike that required an overnight stay to complete would also be considered a Significant Hike.