Droid Geocaching

Nirvanadiver

I used to be able to use Geobeagle to find caches on the fly from my Droid but it no longer works. Is there another app that works for finding caches without having to download them ahead of time ?

I have a Driod too and yeah the GeoBeagle didn't work very well at all... It did however suggest that I download this one app to help the GeoBeagle run better and I ended up using that instead, it's called GPS Status and it's a compass and tell you your coordinates and everything! It's really helpful and works awesome on the Droid, plus it's FREE! :) Only problem is that you have to have another phone to look up the geocache coordinates or go back in forth between the app and the website or write them down. :lol: My friend and I have been going together and she takes her phone and I take mine and that works for us...

Edited by cacti_talon

GeoBeagle -> Menu -> Search Online -> use geocaching.com works fine for me - I just tried it.

GPS Status is a great app. However, I thought a GPS app of some kind is required to use the 'search nearby' feature on GeoBeagle and the app notifies you if you don't have one? At least I recall this happening to me.

You may find it worth using GeoHunter instead of GeoBeagle - very similar but slightly better.

Edited by joshism

The way to use GeoBeagle to search for nearby caches on the fly is documented here:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/GeoBeagle#..._geocaching.com

Basically, you use Menu > Search Online to get to the search page (if it isn't already your default page in GeoBeagle), then select the geocaching.com link. This opens the Android browser to the geocaching.com search page. Once you've chosen a cache in the Android browser, you select the "Google Maps" link on the cache page (in the list of map links above the logs). The browser will offer to open the link in the browser itself, in the native Maps app, in GeoBeagle, or in any other apps you've installed that register an interest in Google Maps URLs. If you select GeoBeagle, then GeoBeagle will get the GCxxxxx ID and the coordinates of the cache so you can find it.

The app that I use for my Droid for caching is called (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak). It's totally free on the marketplace, and though I just got started geocaching this week, it seems like a quality app. It is really intuitive to use. It shows you a list of 20 caches at a time (or so), sorted by the distance they are from your gps location. Once you pick one that you want to search for, you can view the cache description, all posted comments, and use the different navigation modes. There is a turn by turn direction mode for driving, compass mode to point you in the right direction on a walk, and a radar mode which requires a plugin. Hope this helped, and that I'm not pointing out obvious things because this is the first geocaching app that i've used, but have had a great time with it.

EDIT: well, I didn't realize that I was using an unauthorized app. o_0 is there a list of authorized ones out there or something? This is kind of dissapointing, though, because the app is very easy to use and got me through my first 5 logs.

Edited by thecrazytaco

The app that I use for my Droid for caching is called (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak). It's totally free on the marketplace, and though I just got started geocaching this week, it seems like a quality app. It is really intuitive to use. It shows you a list of 20 caches at a time (or so), sorted by the distance they are from your gps location. Once you pick one that you want to search for, you can view the cache description, all posted comments, and use the different navigation modes. There is a turn by turn direction mode for driving, compass mode to point you in the right direction on a walk, and a radar mode which requires a plugin. Hope this helped, and that I'm not pointing out obvious things because this is the first geocaching app that i've used, but have had a great time with it.

EDIT: well, I didn't realize that I was using an unauthorized app. o_0 is there a list of authorized ones out there or something? This is kind of dissapointing, though, because the app is very easy to use and got me through my first 5 logs.

No, there is no list. There is no reference to that app being banned either, unless you say you are using it. Type "geocaching" into the market, and get the results. All of the free ones are good, some have features others dont, and you will need to try them all out to decide what you like and dont like. If I HAD to choose, I prefer GeoHunter over GeoBeagle, but most of us use what we use, and keep to ourselves about it.

Warning! Do not use Internet Explorer or Firefox to access geocaching.com. They scrape the website in the same way as (the app that shall not be named). Using any of these tools is a violation of the Terms of Use.

I knew there was a reason I stayed with gopher.

Warning! Do not use Internet Explorer or Firefox to access geocaching.com. They scrape the website in the same way as (the app that shall not be named). Using any of these tools is a violation of the Terms of Use.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that mean that the vast majority of GeoCachers in the World are in violation of the Terms of Use??

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that mean that the vast majority of GeoCachers in the World are in violation of the Terms of Use??

Well according to the post counter, Lil Devil has scraped the Groundspeak forum nearly 3300 times :laughing: but I guess he (she?) doesn't understand there is a difference as far as TOU is concerned,, lol

It was an attempt at humor actually. A good many Droid users are using the unauthorized app that doesn't fit geocaching.com TOU.

I use <reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator> Groundspeak won't let me post the app (lame) for the android and it works great! It just downloads everything that's on geo-beagle to your phone. It will give you all the info and maps, radar, compass... nice app!

I used to be able to use Geobeagle to find caches on the fly from my Droid but it no longer works. Is there another app that works for finding caches without having to download them ahead of time ?

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Folks, you can discuss applications that do not violate the Groundspeak and geocaching.com Terms of Use.

You may NOT use the Groundspeak Forums to discuss applications that violate the terms of use.

Do not make attempts to get around the automatic filters to discuss them.

Thanks.

Could somebody please tell me which application I'm not allowed to use, so that I at least know that I'm not allowed to use it, and can stop using it if I am already doing do?

How do I know if I'm following the rules if the rules are not known to me? This is a load of [CENSORED].

Folks, you can discuss applications that do not violate the Groundspeak and geocaching.com Terms of Use.

You may NOT use the Groundspeak Forums to discuss applications that violate the terms of use.

Thanks.

Could somebody please tell me which application I'm not allowed to use, so that I at least know that I'm not allowed to use it, and can stop using it if I am already doing do?

How do I know if I'm following the rules if the rules are not known to me? This is a load of [CENSORED].

It's not hard to figure out.. If the Android app has "Geocaching logos" (unauthorized) all over it, and even worse if it asks you for your Groundspeak userid & password in it's set up, that's probably the one :)

Thanks.

Check your email.