New Garmin 62st

One issue I'm having is when I download a new .gpx file to my 62st from GSAK it overrides the .gpx file that's already loaded in the 62st. I have to combine all databases from GSAK and download as one .gpx file. Sometimes I just want to add caches when I still have ones loaded that I'm yet to find. Does anyone know how to keep the new file from overriding the old one?

One issue I'm having is when I download a new .gpx file to my 62st from GSAK it overrides the .gpx file that's already loaded in the 62st. I have to combine all databases from GSAK and download as one .gpx file. Sometimes I just want to add caches when I still have ones loaded that I'm yet to find. Does anyone know how to keep the new file from overriding the old one?

I think you can just give it a different name. Not sure though.

I think you can just give it a different name. Not sure though.

Thanks, that's what I did. Couldn't give the .gpx file I download from GSAK a different name but I changed the name in the GPX folder in the 62st and now the new .gpx doesn't override the old one. Thanks.

For what it's worth, I took the 62st on another 7+ mile geocaching hike today. We found 20 caches. The 62 was extremely accurate and easy to read and use. I completely disabled the built-in topo map, and instead used a calibrated version of the park map that I made using Google Earth following Garmin's procedure.

Downloading caches and maps into the unit and uploading the track afterwards is simple and easy. Battery life was excellent.

This is 4 long hikes that it's been on, in a variety of conditions including deep redwood tree cover. It's performed as well or better than any other GPS I have ever owned.

In short, I'm very happy with the 62 at this point, when running the current beta firmware. Anyone want to buy a PN-40? :unsure:

...Sam

To test this I placed silicone grease on the rubber seal and plastic that contained the seal, so basically I greased anything that might compromise the case integrity or waterproofness. When I put the unit back together it still squeaked. So in my next test I greased the "fingers" and screwed the case back together and the squeaking stopped.

This sqeaker issue really didn't bother me until I started reading this thread, THEN I couldn't stop noticing it... so yesterday evening's activities included opening up my 62s, and greasing the plastic edges of the unit, closing it back up, still squeaked. Then I greased the top of the rubber gasket - still squeaked. Then I pulled out the rubber gasket, greased it, and greased the 'trough' that the rubber seal sat in, and put it back in.. NO MORE SQUEAK! It's the rubber that's squeaking, shifting around in it's 'trough'.

Much easier than sending back to garmin, and being without my beloved new toy for weeks! Somehow it just feels more solid now :unsure:

Then I greased the top of the rubber gasket - still squeaked. Then I pulled out the rubber gasket, greased it, and greased the 'trough' that the rubber seal sat in, and put it back in.. NO MORE SQUEAK! It's the rubber that's squeaking, shifting around in it's 'trough'.

There has been a bit of debate over what exactly causes the squeaks. What is known are various methods of stopping the squeak. There is also mention on a german website of a paper shim between the PCB and the clamshell. I like the silicone grease method if indeed it is the rubber shifting. It seems to address the problem at it's source. The paper shim method, while effective, acts to add tension to the clamshell which keeps it from "squeezing in" as much which apparently keeps the rubber from moving. If indeed it is the rubber gasket.

Somehow it just feels more solid now :unsure:

Garmin should learn something from this one. Unit squeaks=flimsy / Unit doesn't squeak=Rock solid unit. There is alot to be said for human perception and the commercial product. (what, you think they couldn't make Harley's quieter? They could but wouldn't sell as many.) Same materials, same unit, only the asthetic issue has been addressed. The next unit from Garmin should be built like a brick $#!+ house! (yeah, I'll say it) Just like the 60csx was!

Edited by yogazoo

Yes, I think this is all about psychology.

The conversation started with comments like, "if it's squeaking it's going to fail, break and leak". A reasonable reality-based concern.

But a month later that's evolved into something quite different. Now folks seem no longer concerned that the squeak makes the unit likely to actually fail, but instead they just want to make the noise stop. So folks are actively opening up the cases (the failure they want to prevent) and sticking foreign items in just to make the noise stop.

This is borderline crazy, of course. Surely opening the unit makes future leakage and damage MORE likely, not less. And since it seems now that the squeaking isn't related to anything that would cause future damage or leakage, "fixing" the squeaks ironically is likely to do more damage to the units than just leaving them alone. Oh, and violates the warranty, which would have protected them if in fact the squeaking units did fail.

But human psychology being what it is, people are happier with a non-squeaking but opened and warranty-violated unit than with one under warranty, uncompromised, but that makes little noises. :unsure:

Bottom line: Human beings are not always rational, but that's not news. B)

...Sam

Yes, I think this is all about psychology.

The conversation started with comments like, "if it's squeaking it's going to fail, break and leak". A reasonable reality-based concern.

But a month later that's evolved into something quite different. Now folks seem no longer concerned that the squeak makes the unit likely to actually fail, but instead they just want to make the noise stop. So folks are actively opening up the cases (the failure they want to prevent) and sticking foreign items in just to make the noise stop.

This is borderline crazy, of course. Surely opening the unit makes future leakage and damage MORE likely, not less. And since it seems now that the squeaking isn't related to anything that would cause future damage or leakage, "fixing" the squeaks ironically is likely to do more damage to the units than just leaving them alone. Oh, and violates the warranty, which would have protected them if in fact the squeaking units did fail.

But human psychology being what it is, people are happier with a non-squeaking but opened and warranty-violated unit than with one under warranty, uncompromised, but that makes little noises. :unsure:

Bottom line: Human beings are not always rational, but that's not news. B)

...Sam

I think it is a little to early to tell if the squeaking will contribute to failure down the road. If it is the gasket making to noise it will wear out over time, and the gps will no longer be water tight. To me making the unit stop squeaking was the best solution, using .012" and .015" thick plastic shim stock did the trick. I don't have to worry about it being water tight, I gave a dunk test and it still works. ;) But hey whatever floats your boat. But seriously, is this the best design garmin could do?

My 62s came today. I spent most of the evening setting it up. So far so good. No sqeaking!!

Maps loaded just fine. So far my only complaint is that the carry case I got with it covers up the ports on the back, so I cannot use the case and cigarette lighter power adapter at the same time.

Will take it out tomorrow for some caching and some comparisons to my Colorado 400T. Will post what I find out.

Ok, I went out yesterday and found 35 caches with the 62s and the Colorado 400T. After about 10-15 caches I stopped using the Colorado. The 62s is far more accurate!!! On the first 10-15 caches, the 62s was on average 15' more accurate than the Colorado.

The 62 was easy to use, and once I got the hang of logging finds, it was a great unit. I even had an Oregon owner play more with my 62s than his Oregon 450!! He loved it as well.

My only two complaints are 1. Battery life was great for about 9 hours. The unit gave the battery low signal, and it meant it. The batteries were dead in about 10 minutes after that.

2. When you wirelessly send a cache to the 62, you cannot see it on the map. You have to go the geocache list, and it will be in there. Select it, and then it shows on the map.

Overall, I am very pleased with the 62!! I would recommend this unit to anyone!!

got my RMA, another squeaker! 21F006***

i specifically asked them to open it and test it before sending, but i guess they didn't.

perhaps it's time to walk away from the 62s and grab a rock solid 60cx from walmart or bite the bullet, keep this one and hope the squeak goes away. this one appears to be a bit better, only squeaks on the side opposite the power button.

here the video of my new squeaker (sound looks like it's off a bit, it was recorded with my lifecam webcam)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwtW2QuQxlk

I'm not sure how they would be able to test it. Mine didn't squeak for about a month and in the last few days it's gotten progressively worse, especially on the "find" key. The new unit Garmin tests may not squeak at first, but I guess its most likely that's gonna start sooner or later. I think I'll wait this out until near the end of the warranty and then get a replacement. Maybe They will have a fix by then.

Guess the st in 62st stands for "SQUEAKY TOY"

Edited by Sierra Rat

More testing of this 62s, still on 2.40, led to unhappy results. I tried to make a track around the 10ft circle on one of the backyard waypoints. Set the time to 1 second, and walked it at about 1 mph. The track looked like a square inside of a mangled stop sign. Had to walk at about 3 mph to get a fairly good circle. Then over to the storage unit, wood with a flat roof, in the open, where I set the receiver up against two scrap 4x4's in order to watch it's settle rate,etc. After about 10 min, the Trip Odometer suddently jumped from 380 ft, to 420 ft. These happenings, after the overnight scatterplot showing up as a rectangle, are a bit dishearting. Bugs, or just how it is, with the Cartesio chip? And the User Grid, in this unit, is a disaster.

Putting in the requested info in the page for Trans Merc, dosen't work, and I had to go back to the -9999999 Fal North, like in the 60 series, to get it to work. In the Lambert selection, I got it to display in meters, but the scale didn't work. No way to set it up to display State Plane in ft.

Also, when I walked between the two E/W backyard waypoints, that are 100 ft apart, I walked the first 60 ft fast, then slow, with some baby steps added in, like I was looking for something. When I got to the waypoint, it took about 7 min for it to catch up with the correct L/L's, UTM, or Grid feet. "Sho nuff" failed the test that the GPS 60, and the SiRF 60CSx, do with ease.

The squeeks in my unit wern't all that bad; drowned out by the sound of an elephant walking around on the collapsed circus canvas tent, every time I slightly touched the rocker panel, or some of the keys. I had to box it up and send it off.

Take heart, yours couldn't possibly be that bad, I hope not, anyway.

I recently bought a 62S to replace an Oregon which died while on a trip and I find I like the 62 a lot.

It has a more legible screen than the Oregon series, under most conditions, and especially when riding on the bike.

For those who want the 60/76 menu style, the 62/78 has a profile called "Classic" which does the trick.

Mounting the 62 on a bike: RAM does not have a mount yet for the 62 but the 60 mount works reasonably well. Garmin has gone away from the button on the back which RAM used as part of their mount, so a complete redesign is probably necessary.

But when I bought my 62 I needed something to hold it so we tried the 60 mount and the bottom of the 62 fits snugly into the holder, and a heavy duty elastic band holds the top in very well. In about 1500 kilometers of motorcycle riding so far, it has not come off once. I do have it tethered to my handlebars, though, just in case.

IMG_4767.JPG

When I get my Oregon back from repair it's going to be tough trying to determine which to sell, as I really don't need this many gps units...

I can get the entire US Topo (including Alaska and Hawaii) in 1.26GB (which doesn't include the index) in 370 map tiles. :D

Not from DVD... :)

Seeing that you either haven't caught on yet or are purposely being obtuse, lets clear something up. He's referring to MapSource Topo US. It only came on CD. :)

BZZZ! WRONG

MapSource Topo US (2008) definitely comes on...tada!!! DVD. Just like mine did. So :) yourself.

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmstp.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-MapSource-Top...K/dp/B000RAASFK

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...r:referralID=NA

Enough links for ya there, Einstein? :)

Edited by sviking

I can get the entire US Topo (including Alaska and Hawaii) in 1.26GB (which doesn't include the index) in 370 map tiles. :D

Not from DVD... :D

Seeing that you either haven't caught on yet or are purposely being obtuse, lets clear something up. He's referring to MapSource Topo US. It only came on CD. :D

BZZZ! WRONG

MapSource Topo US (2008) definitely comes on...tada!!! DVD. Just like mine did. So :D yourself.

Enough links for ya there, Einstein? :P

Lots of links to the wrong product that clearly show you don't know witch way the mop flops. Prime never said he had TOPO US 2008, you assumed he did and you know what they say about that. :D

Seeing that you either haven't caught on yet or are purposely being obtuse, lets clear something up. He's referring to MapSource Topo US. It only came on CD. :D

BZZZ! WRONG

MapSource Topo US (2008) definitely comes on...tada!!! DVD. Just like mine did. So :D yourself.

Lots of links to the wrong product that clearly show you don't know witch way the mop flops. Prime never said he had TOPO US 2008, you assumed he did and you know what they say about that. :D

Nope, wrong again. You incorrectly, very much so, said MapSource Topo US only came on CD. That is not the case. Read your OWN quote...again... :D

BZZZ! WRONG

Nope, wrong again. You incorrectly, very much so, said MapSource Topo US only came on CD. That is not the case. Read your OWN quote...again... :D

I think it's time you two put your toys away. Kiss and make up :D

BZZZ! WRONG

Nope, wrong again. You incorrectly, very much so, said MapSource Topo US only came on CD. That is not the case. Read your OWN quote...again... B)

I think it's time you two put your toys away. Kiss and make up :D

Oh, come on. Halloween is fast approaching and he needs to practice riding his "floppy witch mop" toy. Then he can put it away...or not...WHICHever he decides... :D:D:D

Edited by sviking

I'm using the standard Garmin CO/DK/OR/62 mount. I know some people don't think its secure enough, but I've never had trouble with it.

D'you have a picture of that?

Here's Garmin picture of their bike mount:

cf-lg.jpg

It work with all their GPSrs that have the spine mount.

Thanks for that. I have a rail mount like that at home, but it's not good enough for a motorcycle, imho.

I'm using the standard Garmin CO/DK/OR/62 mount. I know some people don't think its secure enough, but I've never had trouble with it.

D'you have a picture of that?

Here's Garmin picture of their bike mount:

cf-lg.jpg

It work with all their GPSrs that have the spine mount.

Thanks for that. I have a rail mount like that at home, but it's not good enough for a motorcycle, imho.

I would think one would be on the way from RAM mounts.

Can the 62s handle more then One 100 tiless custom map? Or can I just have One custom map with 100 tiles i the unit?

Not sure about tiles, but I have 5 or 6 custom map KMZ files in mine and it works fine.

Thanks, i read in another topic that the unit could have only 100 tiles in total. so, one map with 100 tiles or 2 with 50 each.

If the unit can handle more then 100 tiles in total i will order one...

Can someone test it out? :rolleyes:

anyone in canada interested in the 62 or 62s, MEC now carries it and with their rocksolid guarantee, it might be worth checking them out over some 30 day return places.

i walked away from this unit once, but with MEC's reputation and the way they stand behind their products, i might take a 2nd look.

I find MEC gps prices a little high, but if you have a LeBaron nearby, this is the cheapest I've seen 62 and 78s so far in Canada. And GPSCity and GPSCentral might match the LeBaron price...

http://lebaron.ca/fall%202010%20pages/garmin_nuvi3700.pdf

anyone in canada interested in the 62 or 62s, MEC now carries it and with their rocksolid guarantee, it might be worth checking them out over some 30 day return places.

i walked away from this unit once, but with MEC's reputation and the way they stand behind their products, i might take a 2nd look.

I find MEC gps prices a little high, but if you have a LeBaron nearby, this is the cheapest I've seen 62 and 78s so far in Canada. And GPSCity and GPSCentral might match the LeBaron price...

http://lebaron.ca/fall%202010%20pages/garmin_nuvi3700.pdf

wow, cheapest i've seen it too. i was going to get MEC to price match wholesale sports for $420, but if they'll PM lebaron at $399, that's even better. i'll give it a try.

thanks

I find MEC gps prices a little high, but if you have a LeBaron nearby

Is John Voight around? Sorry, couldn't resist. :huh:

successfully PM'd at MEC for $399CDN from lebarons price. thanks Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide for pointing out this price.

turns out MEC will PM any canadian sale price and i don't think they factor in shipping charges. here is their reply on the lebaron PM:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our price matching. We will match

prices on any product that we carry, provided it is a regular sale price,

and is regional competitive to our stores. With our online ordering system,

our region is Canada-wide, so we will be able to match LeBaron's price on

the Garmin 62s.

Edited by brucered

successfully PM'd at MEC for $399CDN from lebarons price. thanks Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide for pointing out this price.

turns out MEC will PM any canadian sale price and i don't think they factor in shipping charges. here is their reply on the lebaron PM:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our price matching. We will match

prices on any product that we carry, provided it is a regular sale price,

and is regional competitive to our stores. With our online ordering system,

our region is Canada-wide, so we will be able to match LeBaron's price on

the Garmin 62s.

Awesome! Lucky you. I needed mine in a hurry, and found it on a shelf in a marine store in Newfoundland so I paid list price. But I was darn happy to find it, after having killed both my Oregon 550 and Nuvi 780 on the same day, so I see having paid full price as my way of helping the economy of Newfoundland. :huh:

I could return it now that I'm home but what the heck, it's only money.

It's amazing how much you come to depend on a gps when you're so far from home, as I was.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Is the odometer fixed in the 2.50 firmware?

Or is it a Hardware bug that cant be fixed with software?

Is there no way to get correct data?

Its a really important for me to get such data. I do a lot of slow walking, as when I pick berries and mushroom in the deep forest.

Will the "trip computer" give correct data? What is the difference between a trip computer ad odometer?

Edited by jlw82

Hi I'm a total noob. Geocaching sounds awesome and I want to get into it and I've been researching what GPS device I want to get. I've settled on the 62 series, but I don't know which of the features I do or do not need for geocaching. Is there a reason I need a 62s or a 62st? Saving money would be nice, if I don't need the upgrade.

Thanks! (and sorry if this is an annoying question..)

I have the 62st and love it, i've used it for GC, mountain biking and climbing in the hills.

I haven't suffered from the "Squeek"

I've found start up time fast, accuracy spot on, and have used it in some truley foul weather and its still running fine

And i've had no issues adding mass cache's or single cache's to the unit.

The only gripes i have at the mo is not being able to conect with Memory Map, and not being able to see waypoints in Mapsource but only in basecamp!

Will be phoneing Garmin UK to day to check on the above.

@ neosatus.. taken from Garmin website hope it helps IMO the base map for the UK was crap so had i known would have gone 62S and uploaded Topo GB ... can't speak for US basemap

The difference between these latest models is that GPSMAP 62S adds microSD card slot, electronic compass, barometric altimeter, wireless data sharing, high speed USB to the base model whereas the 62ST tops everything off with a preloaded 100K topographic maps for the entire US.

Sorry if this has been asked in this thread or not.

I'm thinking of maybe pulling the trigger and getting the 62st, but the BIG selling point is if this unit has custom icons like I was able to put on my 60Csx, or is it too early and those haven't been developed yet for the 62?

As far as I know ( I own a 62st) is that all the custom icon are pre loaded. The only icon I needed to add was the " :D " to have it the same as my 60CSx with the custom icons. There is also a thread in here about adding new icons to the 62 series.

PS

If you need the icon email me.

Edited by The Ravens

I'm thinking of maybe pulling the trigger and getting the 62st, but the BIG selling point is if this unit has custom icons like I was able to put on my 60Csx, or is it too early and those haven't been developed yet for the 62?

As far as I know ( I own a 62st) is that all the custom icon are pre loaded. The only icon I needed to add was the " :D " to have it the same as my 60CSx with the custom icons. There is also a thread in here about adding new icons to the 62 series.

PS

Thanks The Ravens! This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear :D

I think I would be lost if I didn't have my icons!!

The other question I have about the icons is this. Since I have my GSAK macro setup to look to a certian folder for the custom 60 icons, I'm assuming I will need to change that once I get the 62st and point it to where this icons are located?

Edited by The Weasel

PS

Thanks The Ravens! This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear :D

I think I would be lost if I didn't have my icons!!

The other question I have about the icons is this. Since I have my GSAK macro setup to look to a certian folder for the custom 60 icons, I'm assuming I will need to change that once I get the 62st and point it to where this icons are located?

That is something I don't know about since I'm not familiar with the macro you are referring to. I guess you'll just have to play around with it until it works for you.

Edited by The Ravens

OK, I have bitten the bullet and have a (slightly sqeaky) 62S.

I have a question about waypoints: Is there a way to alter how close you need to be to a waypoint for the unit to jump to the next one. It seems to require me to be within a couple of feet, which may be impossible in some instances (considering the positional accuracy).

Alternatively, can you manually make the 62S follow the next waypoint in a route?

Sadly (and as usual), the user manual is sadly lacking in information.

.... By the way, software version 2.6 has just been released. Connect your 62S to Webupdater!

Edited by ba9rn

I have a question about waypoints: Is there a way to alter how close you need to be to a waypoint for the unit to jump to the next one. It seems to require me to be within a couple of feet, which may be impossible in some instances (considering the positional accuracy).

Alternatively, can you manually make the 62S follow the next waypoint in a route?

.... By the way, software version 2.6 has just been released. Connect your 62S to Webupdater!

If you are following an off route route (a route that connects waypoints) you can modify the behavior here:

Setup>Route>Off Road Transitions: Manual, you can force the manual transitions or Distance, change the distance sensitivity

If you are following an off route route (a route that connects waypoints) you can modify the behavior here:

Setup>Route>Off Road Transitions: Manual, you can force the manual transitions or Distance, change the distance sensitivity

Brilliant. Thank you :anicute: (Yes, I know it IS in the manual, but I failed to see its significance!) Edited by ba9rn