New Garmin 62st

I was quite frustrated with the 60csx until someone told me how to completely disable the magnetic compass.

Because pressing the page button (complete with compass symbol) for a second or two to toggle the compass off/on with that big COMPASS TURNED ON (OFF) box at the bottom of the screen was so hard? <_<

Seriously, I've seen this complaint before and can't understand what's so hard about it. Unlike Garmin's road units, the 60CSx actually DOES come with a somewhat decently printed owner's manual and, if the unit was used and came without a manual? No excuse. It's still available on-line for free. It's not like it's some hidden easter egg feature.

Ok, all that aside, how do you feel it performed "as a GPS" as compared to your 60CSx? Not all the extra/new stuff, but as a good, old solid GPS unit getting you from point A to the cache?

Edited by sviking
I was quite frustrated with the 60csx until someone told me how to completely disable the magnetic compass.

Because pressing the page button (complete with compass symbol) for a second or two to toggle the compass off/on with that big COMPASS TURNED ON (OFF) box at the bottom of the screen was so hard? :laughing:

Seriously, I've seen this complaint before and can't understand what's so hard about it. Unlike Garmin's road units, the 60CSx actually DOES come with a somewhat decently printed owner's manual and, if the unit was used and came without a manual? No excuse. It's still available on-line for free. It's not like it's some hidden easter egg feature.

Plus, there's actually a compass icon printed on the button.

Because pressing the page button (complete with compass symbol) for a second or two to toggle the compass off/on with that big COMPASS TURNED ON (OFF) box at the bottom of the screen was so hard? :laughing:

And folks wonder why the geocaching.com forums are considered the worst.

The only thing you two can contribute is to laugh at me for using the words "until someone told me how to" instead of "until I"?

At what point did I say that I was annoyed that I couldn't figure out how to turn off the compass? I NEVER DID. I said the compass was annoying, which on that unit it absolutely was.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

We played with the Garmin GPSMAP 62st at GW VIII. Anyone else look at it and what is your opinion?

I have the 62 S and so far Im not impressed. I had the 60 series before and I much prefer that format. So far I have not been able to get my maps to show roads/streets and Garmin hasnt yet helped. You cannot delete individual caches from the unit. You must connect it to the computer and then remove the entire GPX file. I have yet to be able to figure out how to modify the coords so I can do the "next" stage of a multi. I have had to resort to using "mark" and generate a new waypoint. The paperless feature is a nice addition. So far Im not impressed and I would stick with my 60 series if I still had it.

Already covered that. :huh:

At what point did I say that I was annoyed that I couldn't figure out how to turn off the compass? I NEVER DID. I said the compass was annoying, which on that unit it absolutely was.

Oh, good lord...who used the term "annoy" in ANY form until now? YOU...not I or anyone else... You just said the same darned thing. Admit it... You were annoyed and simply RTFM would have quickly alleviated said "annoyance". I'll let you look up what "RTFM" means. :laughing:

Wait, sorry... I re-read my previous post where you were quoted. You actually said you were FRUSTRATED with the 60CSx and had to have someone else tell you how to do it. "Quite frustrated" is "quite indicative" that you'd dealt with this very simple "problem" for some time. My apologies. :huh:

And, not that I expect you will, you never answered my question above which DOES contribute to this thread.

Ok, all that aside, how do you feel it performed "as a GPS" as compared to your 60CSx? Not all the extra/new stuff, but as a good, old solid GPS unit getting you from point A to the cache?
Edited by sviking

I have yet to be able to figure out how to modify the coords so I can do the "next" stage of a multi. I have had to resort to using "mark" and generate a new waypoint.

With the new beta firmware for the 62 (discussed in another thread) you geocaches get a "Record Next Stage" button you can use to enter the coords for the next stage as you figure them out. Repeat until you find the final.

Edited by sammydee

I got my 62st almost three weeks ago and have played with it a lot since then.

Coming from an eTrex Summit, this is what I've been looking for.

Signed up to talk about the 62.

Like most of you I discovered the same things (squeaking, elevation spikes).

Despite that, this is a great piece, highly configurable and good signal strength even in the woods.

Being able to put old tracks on the device, recalling them from archive to saved and back without

time/date values lost and showing them on the map wlile saved is really great.

I would like to report some things to Garmin, and also do a few suggestions that I've got.

I won't bother them with the things already mentioned often.

Which address could I use? In the Netherlands there is only basic support, far from the engineers and

developers that I want to reach (indirectly of course). Their Headquarters is located in the U.S. isn't it?

Here are my two cents by the way of what I've found:

- Squeaking

I find it strange that people who got their unit replaced may finally get a unit that doesn't squeak. Mine started making noise after two days or so. I can't imagine that Garmin has addressed this already and did a modification before starting a second production batch.

It seems to be caused not by the front and back cover rubbing against each other, but by the circuit card inside rubbing against the front cover. I've seen a German topic where someone put a piece of paper between the circuit card and the case and solved it. I will wait a while before opening the case, and do it when Garmin doesn't come up with something.

Strange that they don't understand that we don't like a few hundred Dollars/Euros piece of equipment to sound like a cheap remote control! Of course it has no influence on the functionality the device was originally designed for, but I want to get rid of it.

- Altimeter spikes

I will wait for the official firmware upgrade and am curious. To solve a hardware problem (temporary

case pressure increases while pressing buttons must be causing the spikes) with software must mean that they use something like resampling of pressure data from the sensor before it is recorded and shown. As is the same for the first issue, a top of the line product deserves a better case, like they do with camera's!!!

- Odometer reset

I haven't found a way to reset the odometer, which made me classify this field as useless.

Even a reset to factory defaults didn't do the job. It made me find out how to restore settings though.

The trick is to first activate a profile you don't use, then connect to the PC, then restore your favorite (and previously saved) profile. Than disconnect and activate your favorite profile again. If the unit is connected - though it only is in USB connected mode - it still seems to load the active profile. So after disconnecting the unit, that loaded profile is written back to internal storage, overwriting the profile you just restored.

I now have an odometer with 13.0 km. The strange thing is that when I change units to statute, it says 94.5 miles. Very interesting conversion or am I stupid?

- When I choose the elevation plot of a saved track, and go back in time, the date/time field shows FEB05

without time. If you do the same in the current track log, so just the main elevation plot page, it shows the correct date and time. If you press enter at some point, you'll see the map with the pointer on the location you were at that time. That is why I like it!

- Battery level indicator

At least with NiMH, the level indicator shows full, until less than an hour before they are empty.

That can be done better. My old Summit was very precise on that. It doesn't matter what battery type you choose.

- Find coordinates page

You can choose up/down fields in that screen to decrease/increase a value, but they only work on the

character fields, not the numbers. Maybe I misunderstood the purpose, of course there is nothing

mentioned in the manual.

My suggestions for improvements would be (if Garmin listens to customers like for example Canon does

recently):

- Add sorting options for waypoints and tracks in alphabetic order instead of only distance from current location.

I usually know my waypoint names because of naming conventions, but I don't know if they are 10 or 20 miles away, this makes the list sort of random.

- Odometer reset option added to the reset menu (or the GPSMAP 60 or 76 menu back which is even much

better!).

- Being able to choose all the elevation related fields in the Trip Computer, not just elevation and vertical speed, but also the ascent and descent fields. On the elevation plot page where you can choose them, only two fields are possible, so you would end up changing fields all the time.

For the rest: it is an excellent start for a device to become a new geocaching icon"

Sorry for this enormous post... anyone please mention an address to mail Garmin.

Of course it has no influence on the functionality the device was originally designed for, but I want to get rid of it.

Regarding the squeaking and the resultant irritating noise, seems people definitely are worried about "functionality"...as in ALL OF IT being lost when the unit got wet/submerged because they were afraid (rightfully so) of the case integrity being compromised with time and use thereby letting water in through sloppy seals/seams. If what you say about the circuit board is true, then that's great.

- Odometer reset

I haven't found a way to reset the odometer, which made me classify this field as useless.

Select the "Trip Odometer" for a resettable odometer field that works as you expect.

The plain old "Odometer" refers to a non-resetable odometer total for the unit itself that is NOT resettable

Problem solved! :D

62s came in late yesterday, and I spent some indoor time trying to set it up. I finally got the User Grid set up for feet, in the Trans Merc, and started checking things out. Not as jumpy on the Map Page as the SiRF 60CXs. and when changing to the Battery Save, it stays rock solid on the Page, as well as the accuracy readings. Less changes in feet to the N/S-E/W, than the 60CSx, both outside, and when connected to the external antenna on the roof. I did get in a few backyard waypoints before the rain hit yesterday, and will check on the returnability, today or tomorrow, as the monsoon god sees fit. Left it on all night connected to the ex ant, tracks set for every 30 sec. First rectangle scatter plot that I have ever seen! ?? Started with charged up Duracells, 2650, spending several hours inside in the GPS off mode, and the Total Time was showing 16:33 when I shut it off this morn, with one bar showing.

So many new choices yet to check on in setting it up.

Lots of side by side, with a 60CSx, yet to do: from the nearby surveyed point, tracking, returning later to points, averaging points, and how does it respond to my baby steps, peep and creep'n. No trees nearby, darn it, maybe I can test later.

The sides squeek a little, but the buttons were noiser. Just barly touching the rocker let out a squeek. Not noticable this morning; due to the overnight rain?

The screws look different to my "anteek" eyes, need to check the tool box for something that might fit.

In Europe the screw would be called a torx size 6 or tx6. Didn't open it yet, maybe Garmin will come up with an anti-squeak solution (wishful thinking?).

Once you press the on-button firmly, the case squeaks. Then also the button presses can cause squeaking. Once you gently squeeze the unit front and back cover, the parts get into place again and the button press squeaks are over for a while, at least that's my experience.

Can anyone still give me a good address for reporting to Garmin?

My 62s came today. I spent most of the evening setting it up. So far so good. No sqeaking!!

Maps loaded just fine. So far my only complaint is that the carry case I got with it covers up the ports on the back, so I cannot use the case and cigarette lighter power adapter at the same time.

Will take it out tomorrow for some caching and some comparisons to my Colorado 400T. Will post what I find out.

Just got a third squeaker from Garmin. Don't expect to get a unit that doesn't squeak when you RMA a unit that squeaks. I'm going to have to learn to live with it. Oh well. :(

My guess is that they will fix the issue in future production runs, silently, without much adue. So for now, we live with squeaks. :rolleyes:

Oh, and a note to all you non-squeakers out there; give it time, your unit will squeak. Oh yes, they will all squeak eventually. It gets worse over time and I've seen even my friends non-squeakers develop squeaks after a few weeks of use. :huh:

Just bought the Garmin GPS 62s. Me? I wouldn't pay the extra $100 for the t as it has topo maps of the 100k which are 100 feet wide rather than the 20ft on the 24K. You can buy that software later if you so choose for less down the road.

I'm a bit disappointed that they are now selling the "must unlock" software with licenses to only be on one computer and one garmin unit. I think they are getting selfish as they (Garmin) continues to lead the market. The units are pretty expensive and if you have bought 2 for a family you are now having to buy software for each unit. Before you rec'd the ability to put it on 2 computers (ie: desktop/laptop) and 2 units (ie: his/hers or two different units that you may own).

I still need to get used to it. Took it out for the 1st time today. Had fun with the many features it has, the bigger and harder buttons (my 60csX buttons finally tore off) and the new slide on for the holder rather than the ever loosening button on the back. The slight different size/shape appears to mean I may have to also purchase new stands for it though. Not unexpected.

Okay, I did some comments. Didn't do a lot as I wasn't sure how it was going to work on the downloading of them. I have a DROID and I can do a lot with that out in the field but today I gave my new toy a whirl.

Back online, I cannot find a way to download the comments and the "finds". :huh: Was it just a feature on the GPS to keep track and not a way to come back to the computer, hook up and download?

Anyone? :rolleyes:

Just got a third squeaker from Garmin. Don't expect to get a unit that doesn't squeak when you RMA a unit that squeaks. I'm going to have to learn to live with it. Oh well. :(

My guess is that they will fix the issue in future production runs, silently, without much adue. So for now, we live with squeaks. :rolleyes:

Oh, and a note to all you non-squeakers out there; give it time, your unit will squeak. Oh yes, they will all squeak eventually. It gets worse over time and I've seen even my friends non-squeakers develop squeaks after a few weeks of use. :huh:

Business opportunity with this:

" T " Shirt with a squeak related logo.

>>> I own a SQUEAKER

>>> SQUEAK

>>> REAL TOOLS DON'T SQUEAK

>>> SERIOUS TOOLS DON'T SQUEAK ( For those with certain types of GPS'r units )

>>> I AM SQUEAKER, HEAR ME ROAR > SQUEAK <

Edited by humboldt flier

Business opportunity with this:

" T " Shirt with a squeak related logo.

>>> I own a SQUEAKER

>>> SQUEAK

>>> REAL TOOLS DON'T SQUEAK

>>> SERIOUS TOOLS DON'T SQUEAK ( For those with certain types of GPS'r units )

>>> I AM SQUEAKER, HEAR ME ROAR > SQUEAK <

I'll take one, mabe two!! It would be money better spent than on a squeaky gpsmap.

Thanks for the torx info and the supp site.

I did get in a few test on the 62s, just a start.

On the return to the earlier waypoints made the day before: the three that are out in the open, were within 1 or 2 ft, and the one at the barb wire fence was off 4 ft.

With the L/L set up to read hddd.ddddd, I was off to the surveyed point, where the last two numbers are 84. The first trip was rushed, just a few minutes before the rain started, the last two numbers were 86. The second time it read 83. Today I waited until I had the best Sat line up, and the GPS 60, which was hooked up to the roof ant, was showing +- 5 ft, so it was time to go. Walked up to the point and after about 3 seconds it read 84, time to hit the mark button!

I made up two waypoints in the backyard, 100 ft apart. The unit says they are 99 ft apart. There is a 10 ft rock circle around each, and I usually make a track with each unit, set up to 1 sec, or .01 yard, so I can see where each return waypoint is within the circle. Had a hard time making a good circle with the 62s, when I finally got it to show on the Map Page. Then on the Map View, in the Tracks Manager, it shows up as a jagged bunch of lines.

Along the N/S fence line, I made up several points, using a 300 ft tape, to check out distance readings. Starting at the SW corner, then N to the 250 ft, 300 ft, 500 ft, and 600 ft. Then as I checked back, the 300 was dead on, and the 250 and 500 were 2 ft off. Side note: selecting nautical ft lets me get out slightly past 600 ft.

Trying to get the User Grid set up to compare units side by side in grid ft, has been a pain. The way the page is set up, I figured that the Trans Merc wasn't still tied to the Equator, wrong, so I managed to set it up like the 60 series.

And trying to set it up to use State Plane in Lambert, hasn't worked like I thought it would. The Scale won't change to let me break down a meter into ft, in, or decimeters.

This 60s acts like my 60Cx with the MTX chip. If I walk along taking slow baby steps, 6 in per second rate, neither unit will show any change in location whether set in Lat/Lon, UTM, or Grid Feet, for up to 45 ft, then it will move one number. I've learned that it is best for me to walk up to any point, at a normal walking rate, to get the best reading.

The sides on this unit don't squeek bad, but the rocker and some of the buttons, sure do!

Back online, I cannot find a way to download the comments and the "finds". :huh: Was it just a feature on the GPS to keep track and not a way to come back to the computer, hook up and download?

Anyone? :rolleyes:

I don't have a GPS that can do this yet, but from what I understand you need to go to your fieldnotes on geocaching.com to upload your finds. http://www.geocaching.com/my/uploadfieldnotes.aspx

I think you just pick "Garmin" and follow the instructions.

ENELOOP in GARMIN GPSMAP 62s after some hours: Setup Nimh: 3 bars XXX

The same ENELOOP in a GARMIN VISTA HCX: Setp Nimh: 1 bars X

Garmin changed the batteryindicator levels compared to the vista hcx.

Using ENELOOP in the gpsmap62s and having 3 bars, you only have 90 minutes left

Can anyone confirm this bug?

Right, the battery indicator doesn't work well yet. I use Eneloop to.

It stays on four bars for a long time, by the time you have three bars, it's time to have your spare batteries ready. It doesn't matter what battery type you choose in the setup.

Quote from yogazoo post:

"My guess is that they will fix the issue in future production runs, silently, without much adue. So for now, we live with squeaks."

My idea. In a while I will open the unit and see if I can put something between the circuit card and the front cover. As I stated in my post #308, I read something on a German site. If you can read German, it might give you an idea: http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showthread.php?t=44745

It also has a link to some pictures. The poster also writes that he had contact with Garmin USA and got the reply that the problem is known (for sure, they must have got crazy from all the complains:-) and that Garmin wants to place some rubber in the unit. Suppose that will be the next production run, so we all have to do it ourselves.

A tip for lesser squeaking: start using a fingernail to switch the unit on and off. The lesser you squeeze the case with your whole thumb, the lesser noise it makes.

Thanks for the addresses.

Edited by HanVroon

Well, sounds like Garmin is starting to come around to acknowledge there is a problem. I doubt that they will be able to "quietly" fix this in their next run and not take care of the units already sold. My thinking is that Garmin will eventually do the right thing and recall / offer free fixes to these otherwise great units.

This morning I took the 62s back over to the waypoints, in the backyard, that have

the 10 ft circle of rocks around them. Found out that I had to walk faster, to get a

decent track to show on the Map Page, set to Time - 1 second. I miss the skinny

dotted line that is in the 60CSx.

Yesterdays track over a path in the back, for about 100 ft, over and back, looked

like one line. Today's line had several spreads in the line, and the 60CSx, SiRF,

was right on. Hard to beat the 60CXs for tracks.

The 62S was the winner, when it came to returning to waypoints, usually not more

than 4 ft off. This 60CSx has always been off more than any of my other units

when returning, and today it was usually about 7 ft off.

Later, I held both units side by side, and got both units to show the same

numbers in Lat/Lon and in Grid Ft. Getting them to show the same in feet, was a

bit tuffy, and it did take me a while to do so.

Finally, it was over to the Survey Station, with both units above my head level, so

as to get the best that the Sats could give, making the approach a tad faster than

uaual, in order to give the 62s a fighting chance. Got to love those dual display big

numbers, so us oldies can see and read. One unit had the last number too high

and the other one was a number too low, so it ended in a draw, for this kind of

"walk up" test.

When I first got the unit , I removed the Elevation Plot and the Compass Page to

the Menu page, to be delt with later. I did notice that the Compass was dead on

True North, out of the box. I just checked the Elevation Plot Page, and found no

movement, as I applied the squeezies. Think that I could deal with the sides

squeeking, easier than with this units rocker and button noise.

I'm still running the 2.40 version, trying to learn how this Cartesio (??) chip is

different from the other chips.

Well, sounds like Garmin is starting to come around to acknowledge there is a problem. I doubt that they will be able to "quietly" fix this in their next run and not take care of the units already sold.

Um, I HIGHLY doubt it. That's why I recommended that everyone who still has the ability to go ahead return their units NOW and either keep buying/returning until they get a "good one" or just sit it out until Garmin fixes the problem...if they ever do... I know that's what I'd be doing. It's not going to kill anyone to keep using their dirty old 60CSx's (or whatever) a bit longer. It's not like those good, solid units all of the sudden became complete pieces of crap overnight or something. :rolleyes:

My thinking is that Garmin will eventually do the right thing and recall / offer free fixes to these otherwise great units.

Yeah...riiiiiight... All one has to do is look to several models in their Nuvi line-up, both new and old, so see that ain't gonna happen. :(:huh:

Edited by sviking

The comparison above is looking beyond the capable accuracy of a non corrected GPS. The results are more dependent on the atmospheric conditions and the satellite geometry on the day than what you are drawing conclusions. Any data with 10 feet of the track is within the error band on the best day. Drawing any conclusion inside of that band is not possible.

In addition, any GPS from the past 10 years does pretty much the same in clear, open conditions. The better test is to see how they deal with both biased and random multipath.

From the German site where the squeaking issue is a hot topic.

"I've given the info to Garmin USA and from there the feedback, is aware of the problem and Garmin will glue a rubber devices in which the Knarzen (squeaking) will be off."

This was translated from German via my web browser so it's a bit rough but you get the point.

Edited by yogazoo

From the German site where the squeaking issue is a hot topic.

"I've given the info to Garmin USA and from there the feedback, is aware of the problem and Garmin will glue a rubber devices in which the Knarzen (squeaking) will be off."

This was translated from German via my web browser so it's a bit rough but you get the point.

So...does that mean they (garmin or someone on the german site) have discovered a fix for the squeaking problem? Looking at the pictures (on the german site) it looks like they are using a rubber shim to eliminate the squeaking. I tried something similar except I attached some tape to the "ribs" with no avail. So either the squeaking is coming from the bottom on the ribs or between the two halfs of the case.

IMG_20100805_214843.jpg

Edited by ryan3295

I've always had difficulty justifiying a the addition of a barometer and a compass integrated into my GPS since I alway carry a compass and a Kestral weather devise anyway. What I never contemplated was the addition of a squirrel and chipmunk call into the devise. Has anyone tested the calling ability of these devises on real quirrels and chipmunks yet? Seems like they should work pretty well.

If Garmin adds the micro sd card capability to the straight GPSMAP 62 I'll seriously consider it

but, only if it is packaged with the squirrel caller.

Edited by Gus the Fish

Thanks for that tip, yogazoo.

So I need a size T6, and what does my set start with, a T8. But of course....

Well, I guess what is obvious here is that loosening the screws reduces or eliminates the squeak but what remains unknown is how that may affect the integrity of the case, i.e. waterproofness. You may be able to find the right balance between seperating the plastic edges of each hemisphere of the clamshell while still having enough contact with the o-ring to retain the waterproofness.

I wonder how much loosening it would take: 1/4,1/5,3/4 turn? Maybe every unit different. Once I find, and buy a T6, it should be small enough to carry with me if rain threatens, etc. Or even if it needs a another 1/8 turn out. Whatever it takes to quiet it down.

I too believe that the squeaking is coming from where the two clams meet. If you loosen the case screws right around the middle where the squeaking comes from the sound vanishes. Perhaps a thicker o-ring or rubberized clamshell contact points would do the trick.

How much did you have to loosen the center screws on yours to make the squeaking stop?

Mmm, I don't remember the exact revolutions. But it was a few turns if I remember correctly. Enough to take the pressure off of the clamshells near the center where all of the creaking and squeaking occurs. I'll try it tonight and record how many turns it actually takes.

I'd like to add that I think the good folks on the German site have the cause of the squeaking issue all wrong. The printed circuit board does not appear to be making contact with the shell whatsoever. The reason, at least as far as I was able to tell, is that the long stretches near the center of the unit are the most moveable/pliable and move the most. This fact is why I believe there is audible friction from this region of the unit. I've tried lubing the clamshell around where the o-ring is but this kind/type of plastic still generates an audible friction despite this. If there was only some way of "painting" on a thin, rubberized coating on those plastic rails which I truly believe would aleviate the problem.

Does anyone know of a commercially available thin rubberized coating product?

Garmin could have avoided this in several, simple ways:

1) making the plastic clamshells out of a more robust, ridgid (non-squeezable) material.

2) rubberizing the contact points.

3) Designing the o-ring differently to keep the plastics from touching.

Edited by yogazoo

I think the only reason the "german" method works is, they are adding rigidity to the case. Nothing to move, nothing to squeak. But I don't believe the squeaking is coming from the silicone gasket, it has to be coming from a plastic on plastic contact. Maybe from the two halves of the case rubbing from an undersize silicone gasket??

yogazoo, when you applied lube to the clamshell did you do it to both sides or just the gasket?

In the end it doesn't really matter what the solution is, I just paid $450 dollars for this thing and this is the best garmin could do. We should not have to sit here and fiddle around with these things to get them to work as expected. I am on my third squeaker, I find it pretty hard to believe that garmin could have missed this prior to their production run.

yogazoo, when you applied lube to the clamshell did you do it to both sides or just the gasket?

I applied a silicone lubricant to both plastic contact ridges on the clamshells. I also lubed up the gasket and the fingers that align the clamshells. It was a thin coat as not to mess the insides up or have lube run on a hot day.

One thing to note is that the GPS stope making noise whe you have it apart so that doesn't lend much creedance to the theory of the PCB board rubbing. Also, when you loosen the screws a bit the noise stops so the alignment fingers may not be the culprit. It seems as though the leading theory would be the clamshell ridges that come into contact with each other on either side of the o-ring.

What I might try this evening is to take some coarse sandpaper to the surfaces of the clamshell ridges in an attempt to change the friction coefficient enough to eliminate the noises.

Edited by yogazoo

Gripe, sorry,

The isolines in night mode are colored the worst possible color (white). The roads blend in so much you can't distinguish them from Adam.

Why couldn't they have done a brown? Still visible against the black background but brown would allow for the gray roads to pop a bit more. White is the worst possbile color.

I'm writing about this problem to Garmin 62 beta squad.

Gripe, sorry,

The isolines in night mode are colored the worst possible color (white). The roads blend in so much you can't distinguish them from Adam.

Why couldn't they have done a brown? Still visible against the black background but brown would allow for the gray roads to pop a bit more. White is the worst possbile color.

I'm writing about this problem to Garmin 62 beta squad.

There are multiple options for the day and night screens with the opportunity to mix and match. Have you given them all a look see?

Well I went ahead and tried the paper shim method that is shown on the german forum, and it worked great. My 62st is now like a rock. I did have to apply shims on both sides, but it was no big deal and took about 15 min.

The paper shim makes perfect sense with our theory of the halves of the case rubbing together. The shim eliminates that small amount of play between the board and the case thereby eliminating the flex and the noise.

I'm not sure however if paper is the best material as regular papers has acids in it that can in time corrode the internal components. It should be an inert material.

Overall however, it's totally ridiculous that we need to mod a $500 unit. Shame on the engineers who designed and quality control that approved this poor case in our opinion.

Edited by gpscybr

Well I went ahead and tried the paper shim method that is shown on the german forum, and it worked great. My 62st is now like a rock. I did have to apply shims on both sides, but it was no big deal and took about 15 min.

The paper shim makes perfect sense with our theory of the halves of the case rubbing together. The shim eliminates that small amount of play between the board and the case thereby eliminating the flex and the noise.

I'm not sure however if paper is the best material as regular papers has acids in it that can in time corrode the internal components. It should be an inert material.

Overall however, it's totally ridiculous that we need to mod a $500 unit. Shame on the engineers who designed and quality control that approved this poor case in our opinion.

So very true in all aspects

Sorry, but I call BS that you have ALL of Garmin US TOPO 2008, not to mention the other maps, compiled and loaded into one file on a 60CSx micro SD card... If you can show me how to do this, I'll retract my comment and eat crow. :laughing:

You are correct, as the DVD Version of TOPO US is over 6000 tiles, and even if you generate an IMG with more than 2025 segments, only 2025 of them show on the 60CSx, Vista HCx. SO... I called garmin on this about their preloaded MicroSD, which has ALL of TOPO US... they confirmed that it has all the same information, but it is 'optimized' into less segments. I bought it, and I can confirm that that version has full coverage in just over 430 segments, in about 3.4 GB! (Versus 5-6GB if you actually built the DVD version completely)

You are correct, as the DVD Version of TOPO US is over 6000 tiles, and even if you generate an IMG with more than 2025 segments, only 2025 of them show on the 60CSx, Vista HCx. SO... I called garmin on this about their preloaded MicroSD, which has ALL of TOPO US... they confirmed that it has all the same information, but it is 'optimized' into less segments. I bought it, and I can confirm that that version has full coverage in just over 430 segments, in about 3.4 GB! (Versus 5-6GB if you actually built the DVD version completely)

I don't know why Garmin won't come out with an update for MapSource to reorganize the tiles into "bigger" ones for those who have it on DVD. The micro SD card version is nice in that you can have the entire US available all the time, but... If you lose or damage the card, it's gone forever. From what I understand, it can't be backed up by copy/pasting the files to your computer. It's somehow physically locked to that exact micro SD card. Same as trying to pull the .img map file off a Garmin Nuvi and pasting it in the correct folder on another exact same unit. Won't work because it's tied to the serial number or something else unique in the firmware of each specific unit.

Also, it can't be used in MapSource...only on the GPS unit. That's a "no go" right there for me...

It's somehow physically locked to that exact micro SD card. Same as trying to pull the .img map file off a Garmin Nuvi and pasting it in the correct folder on another exact same unit. Won't work because it's tied to the serial number or something else unique in the firmware of each specific unit.

Yep, for the Preloaded MicroSD map it's actually locked to the card, but there are ways around that... :)

Basecamp will actually load in maps installed on a connected device, without the need to install on the computer, including the preloaded MicroSD's. Maybe a future Mapsource update will include that feature?

Edited by Nezgar & Vana

Sorry, but I call BS that you have ALL of Garmin US TOPO 2008, not to mention the other maps, compiled and loaded into one file on a 60CSx micro SD card... If you can show me how to do this, I'll retract my comment and eat crow. :)

I can get the entire US Topo (including Alaska and Hawaii) in 1.26GB (which doesn't include the index) in 370 map tiles. :rolleyes:

Edited by Prime Suspect