New Garmin 62st

Just got this email from Garmin:

.... There is not a software bug with the altimeter but if you feel the unit is not working correctly please exchange it at your retailer....

Technically true. There is a *hardware* bug with the altimeter. :)

I finally got a written (email) reply from Garmin, asking for patience with this issue but with no other information. I will reply to them, asking why other reps are denying the problem exists and asking them to do a little internal education on it. I will also point them to the earlier German report of the same problem. Still no case number or other tracking information provided by Garmin.

Technically true. There is a *hardware* bug with the altimeter. :wub:

And this, obviously, can NOT be fixed with an easily downloaded update. Either Garmin will issue a recall (yeah, right), or pretty much have to fix every one the owners care to send back.

Or will they go the Apple route and offer a generous $99 *upgrade* to trade in their DEFECTIVE units for the new one like they did with the first iPhone? :)

The downside to having the setting on "fixed elevation" is that your Barometer data is then rendered useless. Most people aren't going to care but I actually use my barometer plot to predict changes in the weather.

Doesn't this unit posess an accelerometer which could be used to tell the unit that I'm not climbing 80ft (spikes) in a fraction of a second? There just seems to be multiple scenarios of how to adequately address this issue, regardless of any hardware mistakes made by the engineers.

There just seems to be multiple scenarios of how to adequately address this issue, regardless of any hardware mistakes made by the engineers.

Yeah, it's called the 60CSx. Build it THAT WAY. They've already "figured" this out and should have gone with what WORKS from the get go...and/or found these *issues* with the 62 BEFORE it ever hit the shelves. :)

Edited by sviking
The downside to having the setting on "fixed elevation" is that your Barometer data is then rendered useless.

Yep, the whole point of the using a barometric altimeter is for accuracy. The "fixed elevation" mode is not accurate enough to be useful other than for general trends. Definitely not useful to the statistics crowd.

--Marky

Was Garmin's primary focus to improve on a good product? Or was it primarily to reduce manufacturing/engineering costs on the hardware side thereby maximizing profits? Can't fault them in this tough economy if it were the latter.

There are enough people out there (me included) who will buy it just because we're already so invested in Garmin products already via purchased maps, familiarity, accessories, etc.

There have been problems like this in every release I can remember with Garmin. Even the 60csx had it's issues when first released. Having bought from Cabelas I have 90days for a full refund so I have the luxury of waiting to see.

The downside to having the setting on "fixed elevation" is that your Barometer data is then rendered useless.

Yep, the whole point of the using a barometric altimeter is for accuracy. The "fixed elevation" mode is not accurate enough to be useful other than for general trends. Definitely not useful to the statistics crowd.

--Marky

Don't forget that we paid $200+ more than the 62 model for these sensors, so we have every right to expect them to work as intended. You do not have to be a statistician to have these totally reasonable expectations. I don't want a work around, I want the unit to work as intended.

FYI, here's the review I just submitted to amazon.com for the 62st. It should appear in 48 hours or so.

...Sam

One star - Super unit - with one major flaw, August 11, 2010

By S. Drake (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Garmin GPSMAP 62St 2.6-Inch Handheld GPS Navigator (Electronics)

I purchased the 62st recently and took it out for a 9 mile geocaching adventure. While I like the unit very much in general, it has one major problem. Like any hiking GPS, the 62st will record your track as you hike, letting you upload it to your computer when you return home. This is very useful for keeping track of your adventures. The accuracy of the 62st's GPS, combined with its barometric altimeter, lets you accurately record your track for later use.

Sadly what I discovered is that on the 62st simply pressing buttons on the GPS interferes with the barometric altimeter. Pressing even a single button on the GPS can result in spikes in the recorded data of 30 feet or more! On my first test hike, my 62st GPS said that I had climbed more than 8000 vertical feet, while the other GPSes carried by my friends on the same hike recorded only 2000.

I did apples-to-apples comparison experiments of the Garmin 62st, Garmin 60csx and Delorme PN-40, and only the 62st exhibits this bug. Pressing buttons on the other GPSes does not interfere with the recorded track data.

I have been in contact with Garmin Support about this issue, but as of today there is no fix.

Until this issue is resolved sadly I cannot recommend the Garmin 62s or 62st. I hope for a fix soon!

In reviewing my testing figures, it looks like there has been a fix applied in the most recent 62 series firmware. My early readings were way off (2x the 60CSx), while they were very close to each other in my last test -- close enough that I can't tell which is more accurate.

The best test would be a hill climb with no ups and downs -- well, just ups! Compare it to known elevation. Benchmarks would be ideal, but a topo map will get you pretty close. Its always possible that some smoothing may be happening in the background.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing here -- this is not simply about the accuracy of the total ascent figure. Just climbing a hill would not test for the problem being reported, which is that manipulating the unit significantly adds to the "total ascent" figure. Did you handle and press buttons on your 62 during the test? If I just press various buttons for a bit while sitting down, I can watch the total ascent figure climb by 30 or 40 feet. Over a couple hours this could easily add up to to several hundreds of feet or more depending on how much you have to handle the unit, which obviously renders the total ascent figure useless.

Larry

Doesn't this unit posess an accelerometer which could be used to tell the unit that I'm not climbing 80ft (spikes) in a fraction of a second? There just seems to be multiple scenarios of how to adequately address this issue, regardless of any hardware mistakes made by the engineers.

It appears that they already did use some form of smoothing to prevent these spikes on the recorded elevation plot, but this only appears to happen in the "fixed elevation" mode. If I'm in "fixed" mode, and I simply watch the elevation over time plot, I can still see the obvious spikes happening on the right edge of the plot (right where it's being drawn.) These spikes, however, are not "recorded" on the plot, which is generally smooth when you observe it to the left.

In other words, it looks like the unit is smoothing out the plot when in "fixed" mode, but NOT when in "variable" mode, which records every spike. Note, once again, that in EITHER mode, the current elevation and "total ascent" figures continue to record the spikes, resulting in vastly over-inflated numbers. It's only the actual plot that is being smoothed.

I too find it very sad and quite troubling that so far, Garmin has chosen the route of non-admission and denial on this issue. Even if they end up fixing it at this point, they can't change the fact that their first priority was clearly to downplay this issue rather than to face it head-on and assure it's loyal customers (who paid quite a bit for this "top of the line" product) that they will take care of it. This doesn't bode well for any future issues, especially if they aren't so easily and widely demonstrated.

It really saddens me when a company's first instinct is to react this way to a problem.

Larry

I ran some more tests and the issue on the 62 is definitely as described. The more shocking thing to me was how bad the 60csx was under similar circumstances. It is not as sensitive to key press as the 62 but if you put your thumb on the screen and index finger on the back of a 60csx and squeeze even a little bit you can create 100' jumps in elevation, I was able to get it to change up to 500' in some cases.

Anyone else with a 60csx care to try?

Anyone else with a 60csx care to try?

No, and I can immediately tell you why. STOP pushing on the back right where the sensor is. See those little four holes in a diamond pattern? Quit pushing on it in that general area and your problems magically go away. If you want to push on the screen...get an Oregon. What you are doing is NOT the normal way a 60CSx is used or HELD when accessing the buttons, where your fingers are nowhere near that sensor port. :)

I don't think we're talking about the same thing here -- this is not simply about the accuracy of the total ascent figure. Just climbing a hill would not test for the problem being reported, which is that manipulating the unit significantly adds to the "total ascent" figure. Did you handle and press buttons on your 62 during the test? If I just press various buttons for a bit while sitting down, I can watch the total ascent figure climb by 30 or 40 feet. Over a couple hours this could easily add up to to several hundreds of feet or more depending on how much you have to handle the unit, which obviously renders the total ascent figure useless.

Yes, I was definitely pressing buttons a lot, but it was on a mount, so I wasn't squeezing it.

Well this is going to make everyone jealous. My third replacement for the squeaky 62s came today, a 62st, and it is solid -- no squeaks. I was beginning to think one did not exist!!

Cool,

Perhaps we need to post the serial #'s of the offending units thus demonstrating the magnitude of the " Non Existent Issue (s) "

I have posted two non-squeakers.

I think a problem of greater magnitude is the one posted by SammyDee a number of days ago.

Sure would hate to be a Search And Rescue Crew depending on one of these units ... sure glad paper maps, compasses remain mainstays. Has been great having the 60 CSX units as adjuncts. Perhaps one day the 62 series will join the fold as trusted outback units.

If they all squeaked then OK, it's just how it is. BUT the fact that only some squeak and some don't tells me that there is something other than design going on here. Squeaking doesn't affect the unit's operation, no, but it is difficult to overlook especially when it is obnoxiously loud.

Why should I, a consumer who paid X-amount for a piece of equipment get something that is anything less than the other guy who paid X-amount. It's not acceptable.

Edited to add: After some verbal wrangling, all polite of course, I got them to RMA my second obnoxiously loud squeaker. Maybe now I can play with it in bed without alerting my wife to the fact that I'm not sleeping. :unsure:

Edited by yogazoo

If they all squeaked then OK, it's just how it is. BUT the fact that only some squeak and some don't tells me that there is something other than design going on here. Squeaking doesn't affect the unit's operation, no, but it is difficult to overlook especially when it is obnoxiously loud.

Why should I, a consumer who paid X-amount for a piece of equipment get something that is anything less than the other guy who paid X-amount. It's not acceptable.

Edited to add: After some verbal wrangling, all polite of course, I got them to RMA my second obnoxiously loud squeaker. Maybe now I can play with it in bed without alerting my wife to the fact that I'm not sleeping. :unsure:

Glad to hear it.

Any updates on the altimeter issue?

I exchanged emails with Garmin Support. They confirmed that the information about the problem has been sent to Engineering, but did not confirm whether Engineering had looked at it yet. They estimated that it would be a few days or weeks before we get any feedback of any sort from Engineering.

I sent a polite letter to the VP of Marketing and the VP of Sales informing them of the issue. (No replies; I don't expect any.)

I discussed the issue on several additional websites, to increase the issue's visibility (and thus the pressure on Garmin to fix it).

I ordered two vuvuzelas from Amazon ... but that's for a different project. :unsure:

...Sam

got my 3rd, 62s today. it's a NON squeaker. nice and solid.

serial 21F006***

tried for a 62ST, but gpscentral was able to find a solid 62s, so i'm good with that, it's what i paid for.

hopefully it doesn't develop any squeaks, becasue it seems nice and solid.

whew, i can finally start using it.

Any updates on the altimeter issue?

I exchanged emails with Garmin Support. They confirmed that the information about the problem has been sent to Engineering, but did not confirm whether Engineering had looked at it yet. They estimated that it would be a few days or weeks before we get any feedback of any sort from Engineering.

I sent a polite letter to the VP of Marketing and the VP of Sales informing them of the issue. (No replies; I don't expect any.)

I discussed the issue on several additional websites, to increase the issue's visibility (and thus the pressure on Garmin to fix it).

I ordered two vuvuzelas from Amazon ... but that's for a different project. :unsure:

...Sam

There is new beta software out that might address your issues:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5071

OK, so I loaded the new 2.44 beta firmware into the Garmin 62st, then did my normal commute home. As before, the PN-40 and the 62st sat beside me, tracking the trip. Every 5 minutes or so I reached over and pressed the "Page" button on each GPS ... 15 times.

I graphed the results as I have before ... using Emacs, Perl and Excel to make a plot of time vs. altitude. The resulting chart is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53807584@N00/...in/photostream/

Before we analyze the chart, for comparison look at this similar chart I made a few days ago, on more-or-less the same drive home, with the original firmware in the 62st.

My first impressions:

1. The 62st and the PN-40 disagreed by quite a bit in the Y axis, but that's OK. I have not calibrated either altimeter, so I'm discounting the height difference between the lines. Instead let's focus on the shape of the curves.

2. The crazy spikes on the 62st are clearly gone. The shape of the curves on the 62st and the PN-40 are essentially the same.

3. From these charts I can't tell if the impact of pressing the buttons on the GPSes is GONE, but it's at least no worse on the 62st than on the PN-40. There are quite a few "spikes" in the curves ... are these due to me driving over freeway overcrossings, or are these due to me pressing buttons on the GPSes?

To try to get another visualization of this, I used another trick. I loaded both tracks into Google Earth, but when I imported the GPX files I UN-checked the "adjust altitudes to ground height" box. When I did this with the earlier software, you could easily see spots where I had pressed buttons on the 62st; the track left the ground and jiggled wildly in the air (and under the ground).

When I did this with the new results, I saw no such effect. Both the 62st and PN-40 tracks stayed smoothly at or very near ground level, with no wild swings of any kind from either unit.

From this I conclude that the spikes seen on the charts linked above are due to actual terrain features, and are not due to both the PN-40 and the 62st glitching when I pressed buttons.

Bottom line: there's reason to believe that 2.44 fixes the altimeter issue. That would be super if true!

While I am VERY encouraged by this experiment, I'm going to reserve judgment until I get a chance to hike - not drive - with the unit this weekend. If it records a useful track then I'll pop out the champagne. Or something similar. :blink:

Things are looking up. Way up. :P

OK, so I loaded the new 2.44 beta firmware into the Garmin 62st, then did my normal commute home. As before, the PN-40 and the 62st sat beside me, tracking the trip. Every 5 minutes or so I reached over and pressed the "Page" button on each GPS ... 15 times.

I graphed the results as I have before ... using Emacs, Perl and Excel to make a plot of time vs. altitude. The resulting chart is here:

Before we analyze the chart, for comparison look at this similar chart I made a few days ago, on more-or-less the same drive home, with the original firmware in the 62st.

My first impressions:

1. The 62st and the PN-40 disagreed by quite a bit in the Y axis, but that's OK. I have not calibrated either altimeter, so I'm discounting the height difference between the lines. Instead let's focus on the shape of the curves.

2. The crazy spikes on the 62st are clearly gone. The shape of the curves on the 62st and the PN-40 are essentially the same.

3. From these charts I can't tell if the impact of pressing the buttons on the GPSes is GONE, but it's at least no worse on the 62st than on the PN-40. There are quite a few "spikes" in the curves ... are these due to me driving over freeway overcrossings, or are these due to me pressing buttons on the GPSes?

To try to get another visualization of this, I used another trick. I loaded both tracks into Google Earth, but when I imported the GPX files I UN-checked the "adjust altitudes to ground height" box. When I did this with the earlier software, you could easily see spots where I had pressed buttons on the 62st; the track left the ground and jiggled wildly in the air (and under the ground).

When I did this with the new results, I saw no such effect. Both the 62st and PN-40 tracks stayed smoothly at or very near ground level, with no wild swings of any kind from either unit.

From this I conclude that the spikes seen on the charts linked above are due to actual terrain features, and are not due to both the PN-40 and the 62st glitching when I pressed buttons.

Bottom line: there's reason to believe that 2.44 fixes the altimeter issue. That would be super if true!

While I am VERY encouraged by this experiment, I'm going to reserve judgment until I get a chance to hike - not drive - with the unit this weekend. If it records a useful track then I'll pop out the champagne. Or something similar. :blink:

Things are looking up. Way up. :P

Sounds like great news! Looks like Garmin was aware of this all along and had the fix ready to go. Gotta give them credit there, but this just points out how terrible communication typically is in corporations.

looks like my 3rd rock solid unit, has already produced a squeak after using it in my basement for the last 2 nights.

i'll be walking away from the 62s until they get a solid unit out there.

shame too, i like the unit.

heres a link to a squeaky 62ST as well:

Edited by brucered

my latest response from garmin after i got a 3rd defective (non defective according to garmin)

Dear Bruce,

We are not currently setting up any exchanges for units making a squeaking sound. The unit is still fully functional as a GPS unit and will perform all advertised functions.

With Best Regards,

Rowdy R

Product Support Specialist

so, it'll go back to the retailer. shame though, it's a nice unit otherwise.

double post, but it's not a squeak that is only noticed when looking for it, just handling the unit and turning it on and off produces it.

if i knew for a fact that it would not develop into something more serious like a cracked case or loose parts, i'd probably live with it. but they way i see it is, it's based on the 60 series and that one is built like a brick, so why not product the same casing on the 62 series, why cheap out on parts or production.

i've learnt me lesson this time and won't do it again, but i was without a GPS and needed one, so grabbed the 62s on pre-order, before all the problems and software issues had been tested. i guess i was hoping for a 60 like unit, but with paperless functions, which it is, but it's just not built the same. again, sorry for my ranting, hopefully it's the last you will here from me on the 62. i'm now looking again at the OREGON 450, too bad i missed out on the $50 rebate.

Edited by brucered

ok so i gotta chime in, in all honesty how many times a day are you people going to squeeze your gps unit like the videos demonstrate, ive seen people pushing on the screen and squeezing the unit from both sides with a lot of force, the only way i can see people are noticing the squeak is because they are actively searching for it. in everyday normal use i highly doubt you would even notice it. sorry for the rant but it just seems everyones crying about next to nothing

sorry for the rant but it just seems everyones crying about next to nothing

No, it's not "next to nothing". It's about Garmin putting out a piece of crap case that is almost EXACTLY the same as the 60CSx predecessor case and expecting customers to take it in the arse, as demonstrated by the reply in the post above. THAT case was just fine. Very solid but Garmin had to go and screw up a good thing that they had ALREADY FIGURED OUT? That's what most people are pissed about. <_<

No, it's not "next to nothing". It's about Garmin putting out a piece of crap case that is almost EXACTLY the same as the 60CSx predecessor case and expecting customers to take it in the arse, as demonstrated by the reply in the post above. THAT case was just fine. Very solid but Garmin had to go and screw up a good thing that they had ALREADY FIGURED OUT? That's what most people are pissed about. <_<

All of mine squeaked with normal pressure, simply turning the gps on or off caused the noise. That can hardly be acceptable for a gps that is advertised as rugged.

Edited by ryan3295

All of mine squeaked with normal pressure, simply turning the gps on or off caused the noise. That can hardly be acceptable for a gps that is advertised as rugged.

same here. garmin actually describes the 62series as "GPSMAP® 62 Top-of-the-line, rugged handhelds."

Top-of-the-line in squeaking.

Even if the squeaking case doesn't develop into a larger problem it's only partly about that. It speaks to the greater quality of construction and design. What else did Garmin skimp on, what else was a cost cutting measure. Maybe nothing, maybe.

It would be like buying a new p&s camera that makes a grinding noise when zooming. It may not deter operation, and you may be able to zoom in and out just fine but you would wonder why the gears grind and when/if it will fail. Not only that, it would also make you wonder just how cheap and vulnerable the camera parts are and how cheap the construction quality may be.

Just as grinding isn't normal and would raise concerns regarding the digital camera, a GPS case squeaking loudly with even the slightest pressure, raises the concerns of the consumer who pays a premium for "Top of the Line" and feels as though they got something less.

Depending on the individual the squeaking may not bother you. As for me, I'm awaiting a third unit after two that squeaked very loudly. I won't accept the squeaking. I paid close to $500 for this GPS and it should feel and operate like a $500 GPS. If Garmin tries to tell me that they replaced two units for a problem that they no longer consider a problem I may take issue.

Bottom line: Some people have squeaky units (at varying degrees of loudness) and some people do not. Why should I pay the same for one that squeaks as someone who has one that doesn't?

Edited by yogazoo
If Garmin tries to tell me that they replaced two units for a problem that they no longer consider a problem I may take issue.

If Garmin did this to me, I'd have NO problem buying two or three at a time until I got a "good" one and send all the rest back. Sucks for the retailer(s)? Sure...but GARMIN is causing their problem. In fact, as new as this thing is, I don't think I'd even deal with Garmin. Return and replace...wash, rinse, repeat. <_<

OK, one more report on the 62st. I took it on its first Deathmarch today. Both I and the GPS made it back home. <_<

This was a super test of the 62st.

We were in deep tree cover all day. Several other GPSes along on the trip lost lock for miles at a time, but the 62st kept lock all day without any lossage whatsoever.

I had loaded up a Pocket Query for the trip, and we found several caches. I got a bit better at using the geocaching features of the unit, which I am now quite pleased with.

I had made a calibrated map of the park in Google Earth, which was pretty painless and simple. It worked quite well. I left the built-in Garmin topo turned OFF all day, choosing to look at the park map alone.

The elevation problem seems FIXED. The total altitude that the 62st reported was very close to what at least one other GPS reported, and matches my expectation. I don't see any hint of problems when I was pressing buttons on the GPS. The new beta firmware seems to have done it's job.

The magnetic compass did a good job of orienting me - even through I never calibrated it. (But see below...)

I got back to the car after a 7 hour hike, and the GPS claims that the alkaline AA batteries I used all day still have 4 out of 4 bars worth of power in them. (The PN-40 would have gone through one set completely, and most of a second.)

Wow, that's a glowing review. What DIDN'T go so well?

The "beep" from the GPS when I got close to a cache was somewhat faint and hard to hear.

When navigating to a cache under deep tree cover the magnetic compass DID seem to cause trouble one time. When I first got my 60csx I absolutely hated it and it's magnetic compass. I would frequently be walking straight towards a cache, with distance clicking down on the GPS confirming that I was indeed walking straight to the cache ... but with the arrow pointing wildly off to the side, not pointing straight ahead. I was quite frustrated with the 60csx until someone told me how to completely disable the magnetic compass.

ONE time today I had a similar problem with the 62st. On most caches it did fine, but in a particularly dark and gloomy spot this happened today. (My PN-40 NEVER did this, so it's some artifact of Garmin's magnetic compass technology I guess...)

Bottom line ... on two hikes now I have had very good results with the 62st. The MAJOR issue that I had last week with the altimeter has now been fixed in the most recent beta software.

My recommendation, for now, is that most people should still wait a bit. I'd prefer to see that fix show up in a non-BETA firmware release before folks make the jump. But if you can't wait, or if beta firmware doesn't scare you, then I'm confident you'll be well served by a 62s or 62st.

As for 62s vs. 62st ... honestly I've cached two weekends now with calibrated maps I made, and with the built-in topo disabled. So for ME I think I should have bought a 62s and saved $100. Your decision might be different.

What a difference a week makes, eh?

Everytrail trip including the track: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=759020

...Sam

I see lots of talk about the squeak but not much about how it works in actual usage in finding caches.

When the 62s became available I knew it had the features that I wanted. Now after some 90 cache finds I can say it is a delight to use. And yes mine does have the squeak issue but out on the trail I don’t notice it. It is only when I am at home retrieving cache information that I notice that problem and yes it does bug me. But… compared to the ease of use and the versatility out in the field it could be whistling DIXIE and I would still be happy. For me it is a 5 star machine that gets a 4 star rating. It is one or two squeaks away from a 5 star rating.

Agreed. In my opinion this flaw should not be accepted by anyone. What's more alarming is that the company does not seem to be acknowledging this problem. A lot of loyal long time customers may be be turned away because of this. I really hope they change their mind on this and accept the valuable customer feedback on this, and provide the kind of support that they in the past have been famous for.

Edited by gpscybr