New Garmin 62st

I'd like to know if you can select from more than one map at a time to be "active", unlike with the 60/76CSx.

Where did you get the idea you can't do this on a 60? Whether or not the map data is combined on the screen is a function of how the map data is designed (whether or not it allows other maps to "show through"). It's not a function of the unit.

I'd like to know if you can select from more than one map at a time to be "active", unlike with the 60/76CSx.

Where did you get the idea you can't do this on a 60? Whether or not the map data is combined on the screen is a function of how the map data is designed (whether or not it allows other maps to "show through"). It's not a function of the unit.

got mine today, and you can combine maps.

what i found interesting is, i have the 62S and loaded up some topo maps on an 8GB card. took out the card, and my maps are still available.

And, Yes, I can and do simultaneously display multiple maps on my 76CSx.

Yeah, yeah, layered maps...I GET it. I'm talking about completely different MapSource generated maps. The ENTIRE City Navigator North America NA, Garmin US TOPO 2008, custom topo maps, etc. You can only have ONE map file (even layered) active at a time named gmapsupp.img. Can you get to a list ON the 60/76 itself and select from files with ANY name and the .img extension? NO YOU CANNOT. RTFQ, please.

Yeah, yeah, layered maps...I GET it. I'm talking about completely different MapSource generated maps. The ENTIRE City Navigator North America NA, Garmin US TOPO 2008, custom topo maps, etc. You can only have ONE map file (even layered) active at a time named gmapsupp.img. Can you get to a list ON the 60/76 itself and select from files with ANY name and the .img extension? NO YOU CANNOT. RTFQ, please.

Let's see, I've got all of CNNA, an old Garmin Inland Lakes, Garmin US Topo, the central third of the US topos from Ibycus, and US States and Counties also from Ibycus, all loaded together on a 4 GB SD card, along with the standard basemap and Americas Marine pre-loaded maps. Map>Menu>Setup Map> Enter>scroll to "i" icon>Enter diplays each individual map product, any of which can be toggled on or off as desired. My standard setting is to have CNNA and the States and Counties overlay displayed concurrently (as it helps with our County Challenge), but will frequently turn off CNNA and replace it with a topo or marine map as needed.

Let's see, I've got all of CNNA, an old Garmin Inland Lakes, Garmin US Topo, the central third of the US topos from Ibycus, and US States and Counties also from Ibycus, all loaded together on a 4 GB SD card, along with the standard basemap and Americas Marine pre-loaded maps. Map>Menu>Setup Map> Enter>scroll to "i" icon>Enter diplays each individual map product, any of which can be toggled on or off as desired. My standard setting is to have CNNA and the States and Counties overlay displayed concurrently (as it helps with our County Challenge), but will frequently turn off CNNA and replace it with a topo or marine map as needed.

I concur with this since I also have a 60CSx and I too have multiple maps enabled.

I also have the new 62st and I have the TOPO and base map enabled so I would have to say 'yes you can' have multiple maps enabled.

Okay, riddle me this... HOW do you get beyond the 2025 map tile limit in MapSource when installing just the Garmin US TOPO? I have to break it into four files to get everything because there are well over 6000 total tiles.

Sorry, but I call BS that you have ALL of Garmin US TOPO 2008, not to mention the other maps, compiled and loaded into one file on a 60CSx micro SD card... If you can show me how to do this, I'll retract my comment and eat crow. :laughing:

Edited by sviking

Sorry, but I call BS that you have ALL of Garmin US TOPO 2008, not to mention the other maps, compiled and loaded into one file on a 60CSx micro SD card... If you can show me how to do this, I'll retract my comment and eat crow. :laughing:

The limit is 4000 tiles on the new units. As long as the total number of tiles is below this number there is no other limit. I have 10 GB of maps on my Colorado.

On the 60 csx as long as you stay below the tile limit and 4 GB, you can have as many maps as you wish.

He clearly said 1/3 of Topo USA, not all.

The limit is 4000 tiles on the new units.

I know and don't really care. I want to know how he did this on a 60CSx.

On the 60 csx as long as you stay below the tile limit and 4 GB, you can have as many maps as you wish.

I know and that's why I called BS on having all that stuff rolled into one layered map.

He clearly said 1/3 of Topo USA, not all.

Um, no...he did not. He listed ALL of CNNA, an old Garmin Inland Lakes, Garmin US Topo, and THEN 1/3 of topos (central) from Ibycus. Read it again.

Edited by sviking

Sorry, but I call BS that you have ALL of Garmin US TOPO 2008, not to mention the other maps, compiled and loaded into one file on a 60CSx micro SD card... If you can show me how to do this, I'll retract my comment and eat crow. :wacko:

I have 2/3rds of the US Topo, plus the City Navigator maps for the entire Continental US (including POIs) on a 2GB card. 1,797.3MB in just 300 segments. I could get all the US Topo, if I just bumped up to a 4GB card.

Here's how I did it.

eatcrow71914577208823.jpg

Dinner is served! :laughing:

Sorry, but I call BS that you have ALL of Garmin US TOPO 2008, not to mention the other maps, compiled and loaded into one file on a 60CSx micro SD card... If you can show me how to do this, I'll retract my comment and eat crow. :wacko:

I have 2/3rds of the US Topo, plus the City Navigator maps for the entire Continental US (including POIs) on a 2GB card. 1,797.3MB in just 300 segments. I could get all the US Topo, if I just bumped up to a 4GB card.

Here's how I did it.

Dinner is served! :laughing:

I looked at the instructions. I'll "eat" after all that stuff works...when I get around to it. :blink:

Sorry, but I call BS that you have ALL of Garmin US TOPO 2008, not to mention the other maps, compiled and loaded into one file on a 60CSx micro SD card... If you can show me how to do this, I'll retract my comment and eat crow. :P

Here's how I did it.

Dinner is served! :lol:

I looked at the instructions. I'll "eat" after all that stuff works...when I get around to it. :D

It may not matter to you, but as far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you won't get any DEM shading when using this method. Personally, I really like DEM shading, but some people don't care about it.

Larry

It may not matter to you, but as far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you won't get any DEM shading when using this method. Personally, I really like DEM shading, but some people don't care about it.

Larry

You get DEM shading on a 60CSx? :lol:

Larry

You get DEM shading on a 60CSx? :unsure:

Oops -- I've been reading so much about the 62 series lately that I forgot that he said he was using a 60. My post applies to the Colorado, Oregon, and 62 series (as well as a few others I believe), but not the 60.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Larry

I got to thinking about the 62 series and it's release,seems to me it hasn't been as much as a show-stopper compared to when the Colorado was released 2 1/2 years ago. Back then there was a thread that had over 1000 posts on the unit,perhaps it was due to it being the first unit to have paperless caching(never mind the issues). The Oregon made a splash for it's touch screen and the Dakota to a lesser extent for it's size. Would it be fair to say the 62 is only for the most part a 60 with some hardware and software changes/upgrades? I still don't fully understand the discontinuation of the Colorado line,surely Garmin could have worked on improving the software,unless there is an issue with the hardware that was too challenging for software engineers to overcome.

unless there is an issue with the hardware that was too challenging for software engineers to overcome.

I'll bet that was a big part of it. The bad design of the battery cover, allowing it to leak. Also, a LOT of people didn't like the rock-n-roller interface, either. Can't really fix those things without recalling them all and I'm pretty sure Garmin wasn't going to do that. It was just easier and more feasible to create an entirely new GPS line, aka the Oregon, and basically abandon the Colorado. Imagine how many pissed off consumers they'd have if they magically release a much better, "new and improved" Colorado right after everyone ran out and bought one because it was the latest and greatest. And even MORE consumers that might hold off (like myself) on buying the "latest and greatest" because a major non-firmware fixable update might just be right around the corner. iPhone syndrome...

unless there is an issue with the hardware that was too challenging for software engineers to overcome.

I'll bet that was a big part of it. The bad design of the battery cover, allowing it to leak. Also, a LOT of people didn't like the rock-n-roller interface, either. Can't really fix those things without recalling them all and I'm pretty sure Garmin wasn't going to do that. It was just easier and more feasible to create an entirely new GPS line, aka the Oregon, and basically abandon the Colorado. Imagine how many pissed off consumers they'd have if they magically release a much better, "new and improved" Colorado right after everyone ran out and bought one because it was the latest and greatest. And even MORE consumers that might hold off (like myself) on buying the "latest and greatest" because a major non-firmware fixable update might just be right around the corner. iPhone syndrome...

Commenting on the battery cover,seems the newer version corrected the possibility of this occurring,provided the user made sure the cover was properly installed. Looking at the back cover,it appears that it could have been constructed in two parts with a smaller battery access screw-lock type section within the main back cover.The R&R character input mystifies me as the calculator function allows you to scroll over the numbers and press enter to input like you would with an eTrex/60 series,yet it's not an option for general character and number input. I would agree with you on Garmin being reluctant to improve the Colorado software as they likely don't want consumers to view it as being one of their achievements.

The Colorados are perfectly fine and loved by many. The only real problem was the early firmware, which was fixed before the Oregon was released. All of these units including the 62 have the same basic software, so there are no more serious bugs.

The Rock and Roller is a fabulous input device. Much better than a bunch of buttons.

They should have come out with a Colorado 2 instead of the 62 series, but the early bad PR hurt the name. The crazy belief that if it looks like a 60 series, it must be good is what is making this one sell. It is just an Oregon with a small screen and buttons.

...They should have come out with a Colorado 2 instead of the 62 series, but the early bad PR hurt the name. The crazy belief that if it looks like a 60 series, it must be good is what is making this one sell. It is just an Oregon with a small screen and buttons.

which is why i bough it. i debated and debated on the Oregon 450, i loved all the features, except the TOUCH SCREEN. i wanted a pushbutton GPSr. i have a 5y old that caches with me and needless to say, my GPS get's dropped and his fingers aren't always the cleanest (you can guess where they've been). so when the 62s came out, i knew i wanted one.

yeah, it was a bit more expensive then the 450 (about $100), but well worth it for me. i can put it in a case and not worry about him sliding his fingers all over the screen or screen protector (like my iPhone) and from what i hear, the case for the Oregon makes the touchscreen a little harder to use.

i've only had it out on a few caches, but so far, i love the 62s.

now if i had purchased a Colorado and they abandoned me, i'd be ripped as well. let's hope (fingers crossed), they don't abandon the 62s for something else in a year or less

Edited by brucered

The Colorados are perfectly fine and loved by many. The only real problem was the early firmware, which was fixed before the Oregon was released. All of these units including the 62 have the same basic software, so there are no more serious bugs.

The Rock and Roller is a fabulous input device. Much better than a bunch of buttons.

They should have come out with a Colorado 2 instead of the 62 series, but the early bad PR hurt the name. The crazy belief that if it looks like a 60 series, it must be good is what is making this one sell. It is just an Oregon with a small screen and buttons.

I do agree that the R&R is a great concept and perhaps better than multiple buttons,the issue is with the way you must select characters and numbers displayed on the screen. Since you have a Colorado,have a look at the calculator and how you can scroll around the keypad and select the number you wish;why is it they couldn't have offered this option for searches when inputing characters and numbers. Spinning the R&R on a grid display to move from one character(or number)to the next,or rocking the wheel to scroll over a grid would have been nice.

Again,I agree with your view on the Colorado 2,other than to say denying the 60 lovers and updated unit would be bad for business. What's one more option to confuse they hell out of buyers trying to decide on their next purchase,just look at all the threads asking for advice on what to buy over the last year.

The buttons illuminate if the backlight is set to less than 100%.

I can also honestly say that I don't miss the touchscreen at all. It's almost easier to key in the text than it is to use the touchscreen due to inadvertantly and without fail hitting a few wrong letters on the touchscreen (I have big meat-hook fingers) and then needing to backup and fix it (which is kind of a pain).

Edited by yogazoo

Apparently, Garmin didn't think so. That's why they bailed on it. Why else would they? It was just easier (less costly) to move in another direction...

The bad PR from the early firmware hurt sales too much. So they built this thing instead.

What's one more option to confuse they hell out of buyers trying to decide on their next purchase,just look at all the threads asking for advice on what to buy over the last year.

Perhaps if they stopped trying to make so many different units their developers would have time to make quality firmware without bugs..... :(

Does anyone else notice a plasticy squeek when you sueeze the case to turn it on? It feels almost like the plastic case is too thin at that spot for that kind of pressure. Anyone?

Mine squeaks too.

Amazing Garmin screwed that up when they had it in the BAG with the 60CSx case design. Mine feels like a brick s**t house...very solid. Guess they "forgot" how to build a quality case? :(

Does anyone else notice a plasticy squeek when you sueeze the case to turn it on? It feels almost like the plastic case is too thin at that spot for that kind of pressure. Anyone?

Mine squeaks too.

Amazing Garmin screwed that up when they had it in the BAG with the 60CSx case design. Mine feels like a brick s**t house...very solid. Guess they "forgot" how to build a quality case? :yikes:

I just returned mine to Garmin for the exact same problem. My case squeaked really bad the rep could even here it over the phone!

I also made a post about it on the gpsmap wiki here.

Mine squeaks too.

+1.

never noticed, but mine does too. i don't know if it's the plastic being too thin, or the fact that there is a gap between the outside case and the inner parts. it's not only the power button, if you gently (gently) grab the GPS on each side with a thumb on one and index finger on the other and gently squeeze, it's CREAKS.

mine seems to be more prevelant on the left side of the GPS when looking at it and the topside of the GPS as opposed to the underside (there is a dented seam in the rubber).

now what? do we all return them or call garmin?

Edited by brucered

Mine squeaks too.

+1.

never noticed, but mine does too. i don't know if it's the plastic being too thin, or the fact that there is a gap between the outside case and the inner parts. it's not only the power button, if you gently (gently) grab the GPS on each side with a thumb on one and index finger on the other and gently squeeze, it's CREAKS.

mine seems to be more prevelant on the left side of the GPS when looking at it and the topside of the GPS as opposed to the underside (there is a dented seam in the rubber).

now what? do we all return them or call garmin?

Bummer.......I guess I'll wait awhile to get one. :yikes:

Manufacturers simply cannot seem to be able to "add to " an already good product.

I have a tech. question .

Is the 62 series a :

A. 60 CSx with additional features in an inferior case ?

or

B. An Oregon with additional features in a 60 case ( or inferior 62 case ?)

I just returned mine to Garmin for the exact same problem. My case squeaked really bad the rep could even here it over the phone!

When you get your replacement could you please post here if the replacement squeeks?

Mine squeeks so bad that it feels like it may crack apart over time. It feels like the case integrity may be compromised. I took the battery cover off to see if that may be the cause of the squeek but it had no effect. It may or may not cause issues in the future but as stated by someone above, I paid too much money for something to sound so chinsey when handled in a normal way. If a replacement unit takes care of the problem then an RMA is in my future.

Edited by yogazoo

When you get your replacement could you please post here if the replacement squeeks?

Mine squeeks so bad that it feels like it may crack apart over time. It feels like the case integrity may be compromised. I took the battery cover off to see if that may be the cause of the squeek but it had no effect. It may or may not cause issues in the future but as stated by someone above, I paid too much money for something to sound so chinsey when handled in a normal way. If a replacement unit takes care of the problem then an RMA is in my future.

Will do. I am hoping this is a isolated problem.

Now this issue comes out! Too late - I have one en-route. Hopefully it's not so bad that I have to return it because of this; will let you know.

I have an E-trex Vista HCx that squeeks pretty loudly at the power button when I turn it on and off, but never thought anything of it - just plastic rubbing on plastic. Either than that, the performance has been great.

If you squeeze your cell phone, you get squeaks too - things are not built like a "brick" anymore - dissapointing.

Now this issue comes out! Too late - I have one en-route. Hopefully it's not so bad that I have to return it because of this; will let you know.

I have an E-trex Vista HCx that squeeks pretty loudly at the power button when I turn it on and off, but never thought anything of it - just plastic rubbing on plastic. Either than that, the performance has been great.

If you squeeze your cell phone, you get squeaks too - things are not built like a "brick" anymore - dissapointing.

that's what i'm thinking. it's just the way things are made these day.

It [the 62 series] is just an Oregon with a small screen and buttons.

In my opinion, a major difference between the Oregon and the 62 is the sunlight readability of the 62's screen. It really is clearly superior in this respect. It's unfortunate that the 62's screen is noticeably smaller than the Oregon, but the Oregon's screen in sunlight was simply a deal breaker for me.

Larry

Just got my 62S and first thing I did was check for this "squeaking" issue. I am happy to report that I have NO squeaking at all; as a matter of fact the unit seems to be quite solid !! :D

Now to put the batteries in and check it out ... :yikes:

Edited by gpscybr

Ok everyone, take out your 62 and apply slight pressure to the sides of the case (squeeze) in the areas shown in the image below. Apply the pressure to both areas simultaniously. Does it sound like a rocking chair on a wooden porch Or not? I think if enough people perform this test we can figure out whether or not it's an isolated issue. Thanks.

Mine squeeks loud enough, on both sides, to peak the interest of my cats and dog from across the room!

1280336799.jpg

Edited by yogazoo