GeoWoodstock VIII

Just got home!! What an AMAZING time!! We had so much fun, and were so glad to have the experience. It was fun meeting some folks whose names I have seen on the forums; like Bittsen (I'm so sorry I embarrassed you), and Snoogans! :lol:

Anyone want to share some fun stories?

Our favorite for the weekend actually happened on our way home. Went out to do GC1WYHN, Shelrik's Center of the Triad Challenge... we drove miles up some really hairy NF roads near Mt. St. Helen's, and out to the cache, which was a great one, we recommend it highly, as mentioned in the APE thread.

There we met some cachers from Salt Lake City, took a TB, and went on our way. About a half mile, I started to hear a weird noise; alas... my rear right-hand tire was FLAT. Guess we drove over some sharp gravel just the wrong way.

So we pull ALL of our camping stuff out of the car and take out the spare (donut). Several people stop to see if we are okay. A park ranger says "Well, you look more prepared than I am, so I guess I'll leave you to it).

So we end up driving over 80 miles on the donut tire, to Gresham, where we get a motel for the night in hopes of going to get a new tire the next day (today).

It being the day after 4th of July, it seems that no one is open, so after driving another 10-15 miles on the poor donut tire, we found a Midas that was open and finally got home!

That was basically the only disaster of the week, we only saw one bear (still out in our area right before we left, and my poor mom was with me... her first, and probably last caching experience), pushed one motorist out of gas off the busy highway, saw a TON of other cachers, had the most fun we've ever had finding the light pole cache, went to some truly fun events, got really bitten by mosquitoes, had one flat tire; and only got kept up all night one night by drunken motorcyclists from Switzerland.

All in all; a great time!

Looking forward to hearing others' stories.

We wonder if some of the cachers actually hunt dressed like some were. Kind of hard to be stealthy carrying big huge back packs with all kinds of stuff dangling all over, wild T shirts with geo caching logos, and the kilts! What is it with the kilts? Is it to keep things aired out on long hikes?

Anyway we had a great time and are planning for GW IX in Warren,PA

The visit to HQ was also a blast.

We wonder if some of the cachers actually hunt dressed like some were. Kind of hard to be stealthy carrying big huge back packs with all kinds of stuff dangling all over, wild T shirts with geo caching logos, and the kilts! What is it with the kilts? Is it to keep things aired out on long hikes?

Anyway we had a great time and are planning for GW IX in Warren,PA

The visit to HQ was also a blast.

I was wondering about those kilts myself... there did seem to be a lot of them!

I wasn't embarassed. I was hanging my head in shame for any and all posts I made in the forums that might have offended you.

It was all in fun.

Nice to have met you.

Actually, I love your posts! You haven't offended me at all!! Nice to have met you too!

Sooo.....

Is Bittsen a he or a she? :lol:

I wasn't embarassed. I was hanging my head in shame for any and all posts I made in the forums that might have offended you.

It was all in fun.

Nice to have met you.

Actually, I love your posts! You haven't offended me at all!! Nice to have met you too!

Sooo.....

HA HA HA HA! I will never reveal the secret. I promised Bittsen :) And you're not the first or second to ask either :anicute:

It was all in fun.

Nice to have met you.

Sooo.....

I'm going with it :)

Anyone know where to find the news on the internet? I didnt want to get to close to them so never noticed where they were from.

Here http://www.king5.com/news/local/GeoWoodstock-97742999.html

The Seattle Times also gave GeoWoodstock good coverage. They ran a GeoWoodstock article on July 1, and today, the Going APE event is on the Seattle Times home page, with a nice video collage of folks visiting the cache and voice-over commentary by several cachers. View the video.

68600e7e-bafb-4afb-bf31-1b003cbfdda9.jpg

Edited by hydnsek

Anyone know where to find the news on the internet? I didnt want to get to close to them so never noticed where they were from.

Here http://www.king5.com/news/local/GeoWoodstock-97742999.html

The Seattle Times also gave GeoWoodstock good coverage. They ran a GeoWoodstock article on July 1, and today, the Going APE event is on the Seattle Times home page, with a nice video collage of folks visiting the cache and voice-over commentary by several cachers. View the video.

so.... how many of you forum posters have left gang life behind? :blink:

I'm STILL in Seattle doin' the touristy thang. (Back from cachin Canada yesterday.) Headed to Roselyn (where they shot Northern Exposure) later today and then home...

It was nice to meet the OP, but I missed out on trading sig items with bittsen and I had to skip bittsen's caches near the original stash due to time vs. mileage constraints.... :lol:

However, Mtnman found a bittsen siggy on the sign post and showed it to me. I took a picture with my sig coins surrounding it. :lol:

I attended 10 of the 13 or so related events. :o

I did the GeoTriad in 23 hours. :blink:

I met Moun10bike and scored a coin from him! BONUS!!! I also scored a much coveted (locally) Rey del Roble coin which stands equal with the latter as my 2 favorite coins I own.

I scored 79 pathtags which is amazing to me since I don't have one of my own to trade in return and I also scored probably 30+ personal coins and trackable tags. (Haven't had time to count 'em all.) I freakin' made out like a bandit. Thanks sooo very much to everyone that wanted to trade their awesome trackables for my humble sets of smashed coins and what few trackable trader coins I had. :o

After attending the last 6 GWs, I can honestly say that this was THE BEST GeoWoodstock event week ever. So was last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and so on. :):D;)

Groundspeak and the WSGA did a flawless job pulling it off. I never heard a complaint at ANY of the events and there are almost always at least minor complaints when large crowds gather.

As always it was great to place faces to so many forum posters I never met before and getting to spend time with a few I'm alread friends with.

The highlights for me just for that event were: Getting to hold Monkeybrad & Scoot's baby, Liam, eating lunch with Corp of Discovery, Totem Lake, The Mutt, and later being joined by Miss Jenn and some of the Nashville and N.C. bunch as we passed around a pair of dirty underwear, (don't ask) helping the morning set-up crew and hanging out with Crumudgeonly Gal & SweetSassyPants. Sorry if I forgot anyone. I've had less sleep in the past week than I normally get in an average 3 days.

Oh well, off to the Space Needle with me. It's a rare clear day here and I want to get some good pics before the Argosy shoves off.

One other great thing I wanted to mention was that we signed up for the after GW CITO event, and there was literally not one scrap of trash that we could find. We saw other CITOers wandering the grounds with empty bags as we did... Geocachers are one CLEAN bunch of folks. It was really cool!

One other great thing I wanted to mention was that we signed up for the after GW CITO event, and there was literally not one scrap of trash that we could find. We saw other CITOers wandering the grounds with empty bags as we did... Geocachers are one CLEAN bunch of folks. It was really cool!

Not quite true. At the HQ Lost and Found event I saw the cellophane from the scavenger hunt pieces all along the the route.

Not quite true. At the HQ Lost and Found event I saw the cellophane from the scavenger hunt pieces all along the the route.

Oh Darn.. :blink:

We left the HQ event early and didn't do the scavenger hunt, so we didn't see that. :lol:

I'm STILL in Seattle doin' the touristy thang. (Back from cachin Canada yesterday.) Headed to Roselyn (where they shot Northern Exposure) later today and then home...

It was nice to meet the OP, but I missed out on trading sig items with bittsen and I had to skip bittsen's caches near the original stash due to time vs. mileage constraints.... :lol:

However, Mtnman found a bittsen siggy on the sign post and showed it to me. I took a picture with my sig coins surrounding it. :lol:

I attended 10 of the 13 or so related events. ;)

I did the GeoTriad in 23 hours. :blink:

I met Moun10bike and scored a coin from him! BONUS!!! I also scored a much coveted (locally) Rey del Roble coin which stands equal with the latter as my 2 favorite coins I own.

I scored 79 pathtags which is amazing to me since I don't have one of my own to trade in return and I also scored probably 30+ personal coins and trackable tags. (Haven't had time to count 'em all.) I freakin' made out like a bandit. Thanks sooo very much to everyone that wanted to trade their awesome trackables for my humble sets of smashed coins and what few trackable trader coins I had. :)

After attending the last 6 GWs, I can honestly say that this was THE BEST GeoWoodstock event week ever. So was last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and so on. ;););)

Groundspeak and the WSGA did a flawless job pulling it off. I never heard a complaint at ANY of the events and there are almost always at least minor complaints when large crowds gather.

As always it was great to place faces to so many forum posters I never met before and getting to spend time with a few I'm alread friends with.

The highlights for me just for that event were: Getting to hold Monkeybrad & Scoot's baby, Liam, eating lunch with Corp of Discovery, Totem Lake, The Mutt, and later being joined by Miss Jenn and some of the Nashville and N.C. bunch as we passed around a pair of dirty underwear, (don't ask) helping the morning set-up crew and hanging out with Crumudgeonly Gal & SweetSassyPants. Sorry if I forgot anyone. I've had less sleep in the past week than I normally get in an average 3 days.

Oh well, off to the Space Needle with me. It's a rare clear day here and I want to get some good pics before the Argosy shoves off.

What?!?!? One of your highlights wasn't hugging me?!? Well, that's the last time I give you a break, buddy. :o

:o

:D

What?!?!? One of your highlights wasn't hugging me?!? Well, that's the last time I give you a break, buddy. :lol:

:)

;)

Oh oh!!! :lol:

Exactly. :o

What?!?!? One of your highlights wasn't hugging me?!? Well, that's the last time I give you a break, buddy. :o

;)

It certainly was for me ;)

:blink: Me too! Very nice to finally meet you! ;)

So... has the location of GWIX been announced?

Warren, PA and the Allegheny National Forest.

Good gravy! That's almost Canada!

As if GWVIII wasn't?

Seems like traveling up I-5 once you get past Centralia they start to say "aboot" instead of "about" :blink:

More importantly, that almost in NEW YORK! I might have to get a passport to cross the Mason Dixon or something!*

*Pennsylvania is great. I might even be able to make the trip. Only ever visited once and that was State College for a week of training, before I started caching. Kind of reminds me of Alabama/Tennessee without the humidity...

We had a blast! Got to meet everyone, see everyone, stayed busy at the Cache Advance Booth and got the Ape cache! Now all I gotta do is talk my folks into being OK with us skipping next year's 4th of July. And the 2012 better be on the 4th because there is NO way I can skip Memorial day in Missoula that year. :blink:

Jen

Me and Johnslady56 had a great time at Geowoodstock!

After spending two days driving and caching and camping we made it to our final campsite for Geowoodstock. We set up camp and then headed out for the first of the many events we attended over the weekend. Met a ton of new caching friends and also got to meet up with some old caching buddies that we hadn't seen since Geocoinfest 2009. Got to find the Ape Cache, the Original Stash Plaque, Groundspeak HQ and even scooted up to Canada for some international caching.

The highlight for me was winning the Geocoin Poker Tournament!!! Since we were to be tent camping the entire trip I only brought the three geocoins needed for the buy-in at the tournament as I did not have a good safe place to keep any of my trader geocoins. Little did I know that in just a few fun hours of playing poker that I would leave with an aditional 60 geocoins for my collection and for trading! That meant that I would actually have some coins to trade with at the Midnight Madness geocoin event!

I would like to thank all of the volunteers, the WSGA and COWWS for arranging everything. It seemed to me that everything went off without a hitch! I would also like to thank The Moop Along (Pete) for handling everything at the poker tournament! You did another fantastic job Pete!!!

All in all I had a FANTASTIC time at all the events and loved every minute of it. Its just too bad that it had to end and I had to go home (stupid job!!!)...

Looking forward to the next Geowoodstock event!!!

We had a great time with Team Boobug. They picked us up at our house and took us there. My wife and I did not know what to expect. We started Caching in April 2010 when we PCS ed from FT Drum NY to FT Lewis WA. Anyway we got the iphone app and started looking for caches in Geneso IL. Since then we have been looking for them in Dupont WA. The best story I have is the fact that we went. My wife and I met some awesome folks who gave us lots of encouragement. That bingo sheet was nice to have as an Icebreaker. We bought some coins and some trackables. On the way home we cached a lot with Team Boobug! Don’t know about next year for GWS9 …but who knows…

Ash

We enjoyed all the activities we attended. We skipped the "Going to the Ape Event," to see the Space Needle instead. I ended up hiking to GC1169 on Saturday, after we left Geowoodstock. The highlight was the Lost & Found Celebration. Got to chat with my favorite forum moderators, Snoogans, a large portion of the Lackeys, and my kids loved the Bubbleman.

The only thing I missed was the Founder's Gnome Triad. I got a coin from Jeremy and Bryan, but never did see Elias. :blink: The Gnomes went home with me, and helped me finish the real Triad.

863186bc-0f59-4cc4-9cdd-837d59b91b2e.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

However, Mtnman found a bittsen siggy on the sign post and showed it to me. I took a picture with my sig coins surrounding it. :(

I missed meeting you as well. Someone I was talking to at the end said they met you and I was a little bummed.

Now I'm even more bummed because I didn't recognize anyone who picked up my sig item and I saw all the ones I put on the sign disappear. There were only 10 or so that I didn't see get picked up.

It's funny that we were only 25 feet apart and didn't seem to meet.

Of course I didn't recognize that ambrosia was there either and I thought for sure I would have picked her out of a crowd.

It was nice to meet the OP, but I missed out on trading sig items with bittsen and I had to skip bittsen's caches near the original stash due to time vs. mileage constraints.... :(

However, Mtnman found a bittsen siggy on the sign post and showed it to me. I took a picture with my sig coins surrounding it. :(

I attended 10 of the 13 or so related events. :anibad:

I did the GeoTriad in 23 hours. :(

I scored 79 pathtags which is amazing to me since I don't have one of my own to trade in return and I also scored probably 30+ personal coins and trackable tags. (Haven't had time to count 'em all.) I freakin' made out like a bandit. Thanks sooo very much to everyone that wanted to trade their awesome trackables for my humble sets of smashed coins and what few trackable trader coins I had. :laughing:

After attending the last 6 GWs, I can honestly say that this was THE BEST GeoWoodstock event week ever. So was last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and so on. :D:DB)

What?!?!? One of your highlights wasn't hugging me?!? Well, that's the last time I give you a break, buddy. :)

:laughing:

And why didn't I get a hug from you at GW missy?

I missed meeting you as well. Someone I was talking to at the end said they met you and I was a little bummed.

Now I'm even more bummed because I didn't recognize anyone who picked up my sig item and I saw all the ones I put on the sign disappear. There were only 10 or so that I didn't see get picked up.

Of course I didn't recognize that ambrosia was there either and I thought for sure I would have picked her out of a crowd.

Well, I got to meet Snoogans a couple times - we watched fireworks together at the final event - and also saw Mtnman and Ambrosia (of course, I've seen her before :(), but bummed I missed others of you. Even bittsen.

Edited by hydnsek

Where were the other GeoWoodstocks?

As one of the eight that's been to all eight, I'll answer...

Louisville, KY

Nashville, TN

Jacksonville, FL

Dallas, TX

Raleigh, NC

Wheatland, CA

Bell Buckle, TN

I may have 3 and 4 swapped.

You got it right.

I haven't missed one since I attended GWIII in Jacksonville.

I was the consultant for GWIV (btw that's how I met my wife) since I was the ONLY Texas cacher to attend in Jacksonville.

I was in charge of the TB trading. I developed the TB system still used today for GWIV when there was so much outcry over TBs at GW3. Many other mega events have employed that system.

Edited by Snoogans

It was all in fun.

Nice to have met you.

Sooo.....

Have you ever saw "Pat" on SNL

Where were the other GeoWoodstocks?

As one of the eight that's been to all eight, I'll answer...

Louisville, KY

Nashville, TN

Jacksonville, FL

Dallas, TX

Raleigh, NC

Wheatland, CA

Bell Buckle, TN

I may have 3 and 4 swapped.

You got it right.

I haven't missed one since I attended GWIII in Jacksonville.

I was the consultant for GWIV (btw that's how I met my wife) since I was the ONLY Texas cacher to attend in Jacksonville.

I was in charge of the TB trading. I developed the TB system still used today for GWIV when there was so much outcry over TBs at GW3. Many other mega events have employed that system.

Who could miss Snoogans