Other Monuments

GEO*Trailblazer 1

I have not seen anything yet, but new at this, about the Township, Section and Range Monumentations.Most of these that I have recovered are the same type of brass caps as we find in the Benchmarks. Others newer are the Aluminum types.All are stamped with the Township,Section and Range,1/2,1/4/,1/8,1/16th corners,C, ect.The only documentation I find is at the court house through the surveys,still have found no documentation otherwise.what is the forum opinion on the future documentation through the geocahing site on these monuments?

still recorded by me. I keep a paper log of all BM's and GC anyways. So for BM's not in the Dbase I take the photos and the imprtant info (lat/long, date, county, etc) and put them into a one page jpg picture (with paint shop pro). If these BM's are ever folded into the current D base then I'm set, If not, I plan on keeping them for my records and maybe putting them in my we site

-UA

For those who live in public land states, especially the more recent ones, basically those west of the Mississippi, it may be just as interesting to find section corners as geodetic control points. However, its important to keep in mind that these are property corners and the people whose property they govern are often very sensitive and suspicious about others visiting their property corners. Therefore, there is a distinctly greater risk of encountering hostile individuals when doing this. There are a lot of people out there, particularly in rural areas, who haved moved section corners in an effort to gain land and are very paranoid about the possibility that this may be discovered. Many of them are prepared to defend what they consider to be their property at any cost, including through the use of firearms. For those who decide to proceed anyway, section corners are under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management and there is no coordinate database because there is no universal coordinate system, but rather a patchwork of regional systems, with information stored at the county courthouses and regional BLM offices. The info is generally available for public inspection, but except where recent GPS work has been done, it will not include coordinates. Those in the 13 colonial states, Kentucky, Tennessee and Texas have no section corners. In the other states east of the Mississippi very few section corners are marked with disks, many are stones and wooden posts.

This is what I have found to be true, but with a little effort on my part I can usually gain the landowners permission, So Far I have had only 1 person (very) paranoid about me walking across their land to the Township corner so I went to the other neibor,got permission anyway, most people I have found if approached in a professional like manner ,yes sir no sir and the like, have become very interested in the things that I am working on in our area.I am not a pro, but there is nothing like proper manners. I have gained the trust of almost all of the entire Roaring River Township and several of the connecting Townships those 6 miles square as nearly as can be.... The Monumented Survey's usually are on the forest service land or ajoining lands ... won't go into detail there butt....more on that later!!!!Even some of the County records are skewed a bit. thanks for the input.

quote:
Originally posted by survey tech:

However, its important to keep in mind that these are property corners and the people whose property they govern are often very sensitive and suspicious about others visiting their property corners. Therefore, there is a distinctly greater risk of encountering hostile individuals when doing this. There are a lot of people out there, particularly in rural areas, who haved moved section corners in an effort to gain land and are very paranoid about the possibility that this may be discovered. Many of them are prepared to defend what they consider to be their property at any cost, including through the use of firearms.

I agree 100% As a forester I spend a lot of time in the woods and have encountered thousands of sectional and private owner survey markers. I take extreme care in making sure I am not intruding on an individuals land without permission. Recently though, I have found many County and State survey markers in an urban setting (sidewalks, roadsides, etc.) that are not in the NGS survey. In my book they are fair game for a quick waypoint average and a few photos. Regarding landowners...I have seen the full spectrum from those that want me to come in and eat dinner with them to those that just yell for me to skedaddle.

Have Fun icon_biggrin.gif,

-UA

quote:
Originally posted by survey tech:

However, its important to keep in mind that these are property corners and the people whose property they govern are often very sensitive and suspicious about others visiting their property corners. Therefore, there is a distinctly greater risk of encountering hostile individuals when doing this. There are a lot of people out there, particularly in rural areas, who haved moved section corners in an effort to gain land and are very paranoid about the possibility that this may be discovered. Many of them are prepared to defend what they consider to be their property at any cost, including through the use of firearms.

I agree 100% As a forester I spend a lot of time in the woods and have encountered thousands of sectional and private owner survey markers. I take extreme care in making sure I am not intruding on an individuals land without permission. Recently though, I have found many County and State survey markers in an urban setting (sidewalks, roadsides, etc.) that are not in the NGS survey. In my book they are fair game for a quick waypoint average and a few photos. Regarding landowners...I have seen the full spectrum from those that want me to come in and eat dinner with them to those that just yell for me to skedaddle.

Have Fun icon_biggrin.gif,

-UA

According to the 1909 Plat book that I have, that is also in the Library of Congress, The PLSS Public Land Survey System included says that there is a system, Townships, Sections And Ranges, these all have to do with Distance from the Principal Meridian,guide Meridian,and correction lines run, although not entirely followed in every survey.There were some Felonious surveys done and they stand to this day. There was or has been no way to check it unless you were a matmatichian,the GPS allows you to pull a chain a lot farther than they ever expected.The Old book has a diagram of the whole state of Missouri surveyed out this way , that is by this system. I wish that I had some way to copy from this book but do not have a scanner that big the book is 16" by 20", and has 35 pages of Townships,6 miles square as much as can be.

If you are comfortable stitching images together, you can use a camera, or even a webcam as a portable scanner. I seem to recall a comercial a year or two ago where some company was selling a laptop with a webcam on a tripod where one option was to point the camera down so you could scan in documents, pictures, etc. for study later on the laptop.

I would suggest using a camera with a macro lens, to get better detail.

You may even consider converting each picture from raster format to vector format to make the image slightly smaller. I seem to recall that Corel draw would do that, though I do not know how well it will let you stitch together the various vector groups to build one large image.

-Rusty