EarthCache day 2010

danieloliveira

It is Sunday 10 October - the first day of Earth Science Week.

Geoaware

Thank you Geoaware.

You are all invited to Lisbon on that day to join me in celebrating this day by looking at some Cretaceous limestones and some very nice stalactites and stalagmites and along the way we can all see a huge Lapies field.

It is the OFFICIAL International EarthCache Day and we will encourage you all to get involved by holding an event based in which you showcase EarthCaches in your area.

Sounds great....if there were enough in the DFW area to showcase.

Maybe it is a great opportunity to hold an event to tell your other fellow cachers that they need to go help create some more?

You need to provide people with some copies of the guidelines at these events so they know what they need to do to get an EarthCache up and running....

www.earthcache.org

It is the OFFICIAL International EarthCache Day and we will encourage you all to get involved by holding an event based in which you showcase EarthCaches in your area.

Sounds great....if there were enough in the DFW area to showcase.

Maybe it is a great opportunity to hold an event to tell your other fellow cachers that they need to go help create some more?

You need to provide people with some copies of the guidelines at these events so they know what they need to do to get an EarthCache up and running....

www.earthcache.org

This sounds like an interesting idea. Can you or anyone else offer suggestions on what else to do other than to share copies of guidelines? And when you suggest showcasing EarthCaches in our area, what does showcase mean?

Is anyone developing an Earthcache Day geocoin? Groundspeak? earthcach.org?

That's a real good question! I have found out from EC that they have immediate plans (next six months) to reissue the EC Master geocoins. That's a shame as I know that I'd definitely be interested.

As would I. The 10-10-10 day coins make no reference to it, which is rather a shame.

I am going to try and "weasel in" on an existing local 10-10-10 Event, GC2CXM1. My thinking here is to create an actual "walk though" on setting up an EC, only to have it ready to go on the day of the event. I'm hoping that by actually showing how to do one this would cut down on the intimidation factor, and by announcing they have just done one show them how easy it is to complete one...

Since there is a stream running through the park I thought using the Wentworth Scale [grain size] this should be simple enough. Just a little basic sedimentology. I'm also planning to run this past a prof down at Cal U [CUP] and see if this might help intrtoduce EC's to the university's geology club.

I am going to try and "weasel in" on an existing local 10-10-10 Event, GC2CXM1. My thinking here is to create an actual "walk though" on setting up an EC, only to have it ready to go on the day of the event. I'm hoping that by actually showing how to do one this would cut down on the intimidation factor, and by announcing they have just done one show them how easy it is to complete one...

Since there is a stream running through the park I thought using the Wentworth Scale [grain size] this should be simple enough. Just a little basic sedimentology. I'm also planning to run this past a prof down at Cal U [CUP] and see if this might help intrtoduce EC's to the university's geology club.

I did something similar at an annual event our state group holds. It worked out quite well, Borrow Pits was published 2 days before the event and helped highlight both the process of writing an EC and how to log for those new to EC's. This story gives a little more background on the event and the EarthCache.

I'm all for cutting down the intimidation factor as well as helping those new to EarthCaching. Please let us know how it turns out!

We're glad to have you weasel in on our event, Mark. Of course, it does not hurt that the organizers both have geology degrees :P

I wish that we had known about this special day before the geocoins were designed for the 10-10-10 multi-events. If I had known, I would've mentioned it to the coin designer.

A question for Geoaware - if we held the event on Saturday 9 2010 - would it still qualify as an OFFICIAL Earthcache day event?

The reason being - that in the Middle East - Sunday is a working Day - otherwise - can we have the event on the following friday or saturday ?

I asked a similar question last year. No one around here has events on a Sunday! Yet again, there was no official Earthcache Day last year? For some reason or another, it was canceled. Even with the cancellation, we did have an event and it was on a Saturday.

My guess, you can have an Earthcache day event when you want too because there is no "Official" icon or specific recognition with Groundspeak other than the universal Event icon. Go for it! :P

A question for Geoaware - if we held the event on Saturday 9 2010 - would it still qualify as an OFFICIAL Earthcache day event?

The reason being - that in the Middle East - Sunday is a working Day - otherwise - can we have the event on the following friday or saturday ?

I asked a similar question last year. No one around here has events on a Sunday! Yet again, there was no official Earthcache Day last year? For some reason or another, it was canceled. Even with the cancellation, we did have an event and it was on a Saturday.

My guess, you can have an Earthcache day event when you want too because there is no "Official" icon or specific recognition with Groundspeak other than the universal Event icon. Go for it! :(

I agree. Nothing truly official about it, so Host the Event when it's conveniant for you. The important thing is to promote Earthcaching :lol:

My guess, you can have an Earthcache day event when you want too because there is no "Official" icon or specific recognition with Groundspeak other than the universal Event icon. Go for it! :(

I agree. Nothing truly official about it, so Host the Event when it's conveniant for you. The important thing is to promote Earthcaching :lol:

International EarthCache day has always been held on the first day of Earth Science Week. Last year, due to funding, we were unable to provide support to people organizing events in the form of pins etc and so the day was up to individuals.

This year the day is on the 10 October. However, if that does not work for you or your local customs feel free to organize something during the next week. We would LOVE to know in advance of any activity you have planned - and see some photos of the event after it has happened.

As Touchstone says - its about spreading the joy of EarthCaches :lol:

International EarthCache day has always been held on the first day of Earth Science Week. Last year, due to funding, we were unable to provide support to people organizing events in the form of pins etc and so the day was up to individuals.

This year the day is on the 10 October. However, if that does not work for you or your local customs feel free to organize something during the next week. We would LOVE to know in advance of any activity you have planned - and see some photos of the event after it has happened.

I've already got the event for my area announced: GC2CEN8

Still trying to work on the details as I'm having a tough time getting any response from either of the two local universities with geologists, but hope to have discussions about the local ECs, and have some seasoned EC'ers discuss both logging and creating ECs. I also have picked up a couple of GS/EC geocoins for raffle.

One thing that would sure be nice would be if we could somehow convince GSA to go ahead and get more of the EC Master series of geocoins made up so we could have them in hand for 10/10/10. They say they have no plans in the near-term to get more. If only we knew someone that might have sway with them to convince them that it would be great to have those. Hmmmm..... :(

Still trying to work on the details as I'm having a tough time getting any response from either of the two local universities with geologists, but hope to have discussions about the local ECs, and have some seasoned EC'ers discuss both logging and creating ECs. I also have picked up a couple of GS/EC geocoins for raffle.

One thing that would sure be nice would be if we could somehow convince GSA to go ahead and get more of the EC Master series of geocoins made up so we could have them in hand for 10/10/10. They say they have no plans in the near-term to get more. If only we knew someone that might have sway with them to convince them that it would be great to have those. Hmmmm..... :(

You might want to see if the are any geocaching geologists in your area if you do not hear back from the universities (we have at least 3 in our area - counting myself)...or try your local geologic survey

You might want to see if the are any geocaching geologists in your area if you do not hear back from the universities (we have at least 3 in our area - counting myself)...or try your local geologic survey

That's an idea I hadn't yet thought of. One question though....any suggestions on how I find out if there are any geocaching geologists in the area? The only search capability on here that I'm aware of is the Find Another Player, but that's only useful if you know their username.

That's an idea I hadn't yet thought of. One question though....any suggestions on how I find out if there are any geocaching geologists in the area? The only search capability on here that I'm aware of is the Find Another Player, but that's only useful if you know their username.

You could post something in your local forums. If nothing else, you may get a reply from someone who knows someone who is a geologist. Also, look at the profiles of some of the locals that have hidden ECs. Not all ECs are hidden by geologists, but we are kind-of drawn to this type of cache. You could also post a "seeking a geocaching geologist" message in the Mid-Atlantic section of these forums.

You could post something in your local forums. If nothing else, you may get a reply from someone who knows someone who is a geologist. Also, look at the profiles of some of the locals that have hidden ECs. Not all ECs are hidden by geologists, but we are kind-of drawn to this type of cache. You could also post a "seeking a geocaching geologist" message in the Mid-Atlantic section of these forums.

From what I can tell I'm out of luck with local or regional geocaches as it appears that none of the COs are geologists. Haven't tried posting (yet) to the Mid-Atlantic section but will give it a try. I have posted a couple of times in our local caching group's forum with no luck so far, but just posted again to specifically ask if anyone in the group is a geologist.

The frustrating part of this is that we have both a community college and a university with a geology/earth sciences program and so far haven't had any responses from either, nor even from a geology club connected to the community college.

From what I can tell I'm out of luck with local or regional geocaches as it appears that none of the COs are geologists. Haven't tried posting (yet) to the Mid-Atlantic section but will give it a try. I have posted a couple of times in our local caching group's forum with no luck so far, but just posted again to specifically ask if anyone in the group is a geologist.

The frustrating part of this is that we have both a community college and a university with a geology/earth sciences program and so far haven't had any responses from either, nor even from a geology club connected to the community college.

You might get a response once the school year starts. Many geology students go away to summer field camp...and the professors probably are not around in the summer either - unless they are teaching a summer class.

If you organize an event through gc.com, we would be delighted to support your event by sending you a small package of things to handout and/or use as 'door' prizes.

To receive these you need to send us an email (through the geoaware profile) with the code and name of the event, a summary of what you plan to do and your mailing address by the 10 September.

Thank you all for supporting International EarthCache Day!

If you organize an event through gc.com, we would be delighted to support your event by sending you a small package of things to handout and/or use as 'door' prizes.

To receive these you need to send us an email (through the geoaware profile) with the code and name of the event, a summary of what you plan to do and your mailing address by the 10 September.

Thank you all for supporting International EarthCache Day!

Great -- thanks much for your support! I've just sent that info to you! :unsure:

We are still encouraging people to hold events for International EarthCache Day on 10-10-10.

If you hold an event, just send me the details and your mailing address and we will send you a package of items to hand out and/or use as prizes. The package may contain stickers, caps, geocoins etc.... The first events into the system will get to best stuff :)

Geoaware

Email me at glewis@geosociety.org with the Event GC code etc

I decided to go with the guest speaker idea mentioned somewhere. Alas, the speaker I had in mind was busy on the official Earthcache Day with a group of teachers in Sequoia National Park, so I had to settle for a date that was convenient (and concurrent with our CITO Event), rather than on the official date:

Earthcache Event: Granite, Glaciers and Rock Fall

Mr. Greg Stock was born and raised in the Sierra Nevada just North of Yosemite. His interest in the local geology led him to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Geology at Humboldt State University and a PhD in Earth Science at the University of California at Santa Cruz. where he studied uplift and erosion of the Sierra Nevada. Greg is Yosemite National Park's first-ever Park Geologist.

Mr. Stock, along with his colleagues, were featured in the History Channel's, "How the Earth was Made" series, during the Yosemite segment. Mr. Stock is also co-author of the recently published "Geology Underfoot in Yosemite National Park".

Well, I'm not planning an event for EC Day, but I have hidden an EC Challenge cache. Requirement for logging is proof of 50 EC finds. I was going to make it 100 finds, but there aren't that many EC's in the province and I didn't really think that was fair. The cache is hidden on an island which just so happens to be an esker. I have an esker EC nearby, that's why I placed a physical cache on the island rather than an EC. It will be published 10/10/10

Well, I'm not planning an event for EC Day, but I have hidden an EC Challenge cache. Requirement for logging is proof of 50 EC finds. I was going to make it 100 finds, but there aren't that many EC's in the province and I didn't really think that was fair. The cache is hidden on an island which just so happens to be an esker. I have an esker EC nearby, that's why I placed a physical cache on the island rather than an EC. It will be published 10/10/10

Sounds like a really nice idea. We only wish we were closer to 'grab' the cache! :huh:

Sounds like a really nice idea. We only wish we were closer to 'grab' the cache! :huh:

That was a great EarthCache event that Cav Scout hosted last year in the Cumberland Gap, we were the only geocachers that got to tour the Soilders Cave that day. I think you and the rest of the group hiked to Skylight Cave. I bought me an "Official" EarthCache geocoin from Groundspeak that I plan on activating on Earth Day and go find some EC's. I only have 40 EC finds and want to back-track the geocoin like you did with yours.

Sounds like a really nice idea. We only wish we were closer to 'grab' the cache! :sad:

That was a great EarthCache event that Cav Scout hosted last year in the Cumberland Gap, we were the only geocachers that got to tour the Soilders Cave that day. I think you and the rest of the group hiked to Skylight Cave. I bought me an "Official" EarthCache geocoin from Groundspeak that I plan on activating on Earth Day and go find some EC's. I only have 40 EC finds and want to back-track the geocoin like you did with yours.

Thanks Manville. We are in the process of 'dipping' our platinum coin through each EC that we have visited. With CS being deployed in the Mid-East and the lack of support we received last year we didn't plan on a EC day for this year.

We too want to find an EC or two then and hopefully the ECs will be overseas.

Unlike others, your contributions here are always constructive. :yikes: Allow me to suggest the Grayson Highlands Park for your EC day search. I believe there are a few ECs there just ripe for the picking. :laughing:

Sounds like a really nice idea. We only wish we were closer to 'grab' the cache! :sad:

Thanks Manville. We are in the process of 'dipping' our platinum coin through each EC that we have visited. With CS being deployed in the Mid-East and the lack of support we received last year we didn't plan on a EC day for this year.

We too want to find an EC or two then and hopefully the ECs will be overseas.

Unlike others, your contributions here are always constructive. :yikes: Allow me to suggest the Grayson Highlands Park for your EC day search. I believe there are a few ECs there just ripe for the picking. :laughing:

That is really a great idea KK, we have found 3 of the VSP Wildlife series caches and have Hungrey Mother and Grayson Highland on our list. Also caching along the Creeper Trail, I think camping/caching/biking/hiking the area would be great now that it is getting cooler.

I've been put in charge of interesting and fun educations games for the 10-10-10 event here, by the Bringer of the Donuts... But aside from Earthcache listing mad-libs, I'm sort of drawing a blank. Trolling for suggestions!

Please help! :ph34r:

Have you got any examples of various rocks and/or fossils? A walk around display can be interesting.

Have a discussion about each persons favorite EC found.

Door prize drawings always go over well, but someone has to cough up a few bucks for them. :D

Planting some temporary caches with each representing a type of rock is fun. For the numbers folks, they can log attended the event numerous times to count the temp caches if they want too.

A short talk about ECs and how they are wonderfully different from other caches is usually welcomed.

If you or someone else feels comfortable enough, lead a Q & A session about ECs is fun. ;)

That's all I got for now. Good luck! :huh:

I've been put in charge of interesting and fun educations games for the 10-10-10 event here, by the Bringer of the Donuts... But aside from Earthcache listing mad-libs, I'm sort of drawing a blank. Trolling for suggestions!

Please help! ;)

You could give some examples of local sites and features that could make good Earthcaches - get people inspired to develop some new ones.

Looks like there's still a little time to get an Eathcache published, so I better get crakin.

I visited the International Earthcache day page to discover a list of the Top 10 worldwide earthcaches culled from a list of over 6000 around the glove. Imagine my surprise to discover that 4, yes 4, of the top 10 were by the same cacher. 4 out of 10, worldwide? Seriously?

I'm not arguing that they are not great Earthcaches, but to represent the vast talent and variety of Erthcaches placed in the continental US with four caches from a single cacher just boggles my mind! There are many, many great Earthcaches out there just as good or better than those four, in fact I could list 10 in Wisconsin with just as much information and level of presentation as those.

I, as well as every other Earthcache developer in the US, should be more than a bit dismayed by this Top 10 list.

I'm pretty sure there are more much better Earthcaches than these 10, but these are good example how to make a good one. You can make a competition and every month send a prize to owner of the best cache - it would be nice :)

"Best 10 List

Which of the over 6000 EarthCaches do we consider the best in the world? This is a question that we decided was worth answering. In May this year six EarthCachers from around the world (USA, Canada, Portugal, Sweden, Australia) started the huge task of compiling the list of the best 10 EarthCaches. The team looked at the quality of the information, use of diagrams, logging requirements, references etc. While there will always be debate, the final list is :"

This list is not about a good example of how to make an Earthcache. It is a list of the TOP 10 Earthcaches from around the world. I realize that you'd have some debate about naming the top 10, hell even getting a list of the top 100 would be tough, but I still think it is a huge slap in the face to Earthcache developers nationwide, to represent our contribution to this aspect of the sport, with 4 of the 10 by an individual cacher from one unique microcosm in this vast country. It is not right by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise?

Earthcache Day Event - made it - awaiting publication of a cache here in Abu Dhabi.

all my many miles acrioss the desert lookign fior a suitable site, time and venuein the "wild" have come to naught.

So we'll be having a meet n greet and discussing how to place an Earthcache in the Gulf.

Look forward to any comments that you may have - and would like to see some of you here :laughing: