What's up with people not trading even or trading up?

I love geocaching. But one of the biggest let downs of the sport is finding a huge can... and finding nothing in it. On a similar note... I put a lot of thought into stocking my caches. I spend a fair amount of money finding useful swag to start my cache off with when I hide one... because i know what i like to find. Today I went to drop a bug in my cache, and found it full of junk. Trash, coupons, mcdonalds toys... only to find all of my good stuff... gone.

Is it proper etiquette to address my frustrations on my cache page, or is that considered rude?? I want to restock my cache... but at the same time I don't want to waste my money.

This is one of those situations, as a cache owner, that you just have to ask yourself if it's worth getting worked up over. You can rant and rave on the cache page all you like but it will have little influence on the knucklehead who doesn't understand/care about the concept of fair trading.

For my caches, I enjoy playing Santa every now and then. I'll stock (or re-stock) it with some cool swag and let nature take its course. Eventually, I figure that the cache will degrade to broken toys, expired coupons, rocks, bottlecaps, quarters, poker chips, etc. It's a cycle I can't win against but it does make me feel better to just ignore the uneven trading and keep putting in good swag.

Here is what happens.

If one out of every 20 cachers (a small 5%) don't trade up or even then the swag will deteriorate with every 20th cacher.

The longer a cache lives, the more degraded the swag.

***yes, the number is closer to 10% but that's not the point.

Here is what happens:

People read the geocaching website, which simply says you should leave something if you take something. The website doesn't qualify that with anything about swag quality beyond asking that cachers not leave anything dangerous, illegal, offensive, or attractive to animals.

For some reason, some geocachers feel that they're entitled to BRAND NEW AWESOME STUFF at geocaches, and instead of adjusting their expectations to the reality of the game, they go on bizarre tirades about cache degradation and quality of swag.

If you want new stuff, go shopping.

This is one of those situations, as a cache owner, that you just have to ask yourself if it's worth getting worked up over. You can rant and rave on the cache page all you like but it will have little influence on the knucklehead who doesn't understand/care about the concept of fair trading.

For my caches, I enjoy playing Santa every now and then. I'll stock (or re-stock) it with some cool swag and let nature take its course. Eventually, I figure that the cache will degrade to broken toys, expired coupons, rocks, bottlecaps, quarters, poker chips, etc. It's a cycle I can't win against but it does make me feel better to just ignore the uneven trading and keep putting in good swag.

I agree. I too enjoy playing Geo-Santa about twice a year for our cache hides.

To the OP, thank you for hiding swag size caches anyway. Lots of us still enjoy the anticipation of swag in the cache and many of us leave something we consider decent in the cache. As a CO if you don't want to spend much when you do a cache maintenance run, toss out the junk, throw in a couple of clean, decent dollar store items and call it a day.

Is it proper etiquette to address my frustrations on my cache page, or is that considered rude?? I want to restock my cache... but at the same time I don't want to waste my money.

The cache page is not supposed to be a discussion forum so you might want to only make a note encouraging people to trade up or trade even.

"Venting your frustrations" on the cache page likely will not produce the desired results. In my opinion.

"Venting your frustrations" on the cache page likely will not produce the desired results. In my opinion.

it may not produce the desired results, but it is a fun place to mock a certain cacher or two who is notorious for trading bottle caps and junk golfballs though. (seen it, laughed my butt off)

If one out of every 20 cachers (a small 5%) don't trade up or even then the swag will deteriorate with every 20th cacher

I cache with about 15 people at different times and none of us still does the trading. I just don't want to be bothered with having to write down every trade on a 10-15 cache day.

If GC would do a survey I would place the non traders at 50% plus.

I love geocaching. But one of the biggest let downs of the sport is finding a huge can... and finding nothing in it. On a similar note... I put a lot of thought into stocking my caches. I spend a fair amount of money finding useful swag to start my cache off with when I hide one... because i know what i like to find. Today I went to drop a bug in my cache, and found it full of junk. Trash, coupons, mcdonalds toys... only to find all of my good stuff... gone.

I cache with my two sons, ages 4 & 5 (ages 2 & 3) when we started this adventure. I get so frustrated not because I want the stuff but because I hate for us to find a cache and it is either empty, has something broken in it or I kid you not was stuffed with McDonalds ketchup packets because they are so disappointed. A few times like this and I carry a large backpack so I can stock others caches so other children won't be disappointed then I let the boys pick something out of the backpack or I will somehow swirl it all in so they don't realize that we came up empty. I don't know what the answer is but that is my solution to the problem. I just fill em up as I can.

that's why i prefer micros, or small caches...no matter what you put in to start them off it always ends up with junk

we try to put a few nice things in the regular caches, the only one that got a lot of expensive goodies its a 10 stage multi, at least we know only select few will go for it

i always put trash in caches,

course my trash is better than most peoples new swag.

;)

Here is what happens:

People read the geocaching website, which simply says you should leave something if you take something. The website doesn't qualify that with anything about swag quality beyond asking that cachers not leave anything dangerous, illegal, offensive, or attractive to animals.

For some reason, some geocachers feel that they're entitled to BRAND NEW AWESOME STUFF at geocaches, and instead of adjusting their expectations to the reality of the game, they go on bizarre tirades about cache degradation and quality of swag.

If you want new stuff, go shopping.

I'm not looking for "new stuff" when I cache... that's the least of it. It's the other people who raid my cache of good quality stuff. Why not respect it and leave good quality stuff for the next cacher? I mean.. i have found some "junk" that I appreciated... and traded for ... accordingly. So yeah, when I find a HUGE... I mean... HUGE ammo can like i did the other day... and all it had in it was a softball.. and a baseball... literally... it is kind of a let down.. but no sweat. whatever. It's when I place a cache.. and get comments like.. great cache... good stock.. i mean, what's hard about it? If you don't have something equal or better... simply don't trade.

Don't worry, I'm not losing any sleep over it. Just wanted other peoples opinions on it. I'm sure it's pretty much a frustration on a small note across the board... esp when it's stuff that you placed.

Lol.. if you want new stuff, go shopping. Lol... apparently SOME of our fellow geocachers would rather people shop for them. To say that to me is funny. Cause obviously I do shop. Both for the caches I place.. and the ones I trade into.. or I wouldn't have even posted this topic. Lol..

Yes, swag degradation is a problem. Nothing you can do about it except for trying to do right when you trade.

Too many people really chose to believe the mantra, "One man's trash is another man's treasure", and so they take the treasure and leave the trash, on the mistaken belief that the next guy that comes along will be the one that thinks that their trash is a treasure.

Most of us put the same stuff as our neighbors in the garbage. We know what garbage is. Those few that don't are featured on that "Hoarders" TV show. We all know what trash is... if we're honest with ourselves.

Edited by knowschad

Yes, swag degradation is a problem. Nothing you can do about it except for trying to do right when you trade.

Too many people really chose to believe the mantra, "One man's trash is another man's treasure", and so they take the treasure and leave the trash, on the mistaken belief that the next guy that comes along will be the one that thinks that their trash is a treasure.

Most of us put the same stuff as our neighbors in the garbage. We know what garbage is. Those few that don't are featured on that "Hoarders" TV show. We all know what trash is... if we're honest with ourselves.

I found a golf ball today...

It wasn't in a cache but it will be someday. I like to trade up.

I found a golf ball today...

It wasn't in a cache but it will be someday. I like to trade up.

;) I love you too, my good friend. :blink:

I'm not looking for "new stuff" when I cache... that's the least of it. It's the other people who raid my cache of good quality stuff. Why not respect it and leave good quality stuff for the next cacher? I mean.. i have found some "junk" that I appreciated... and traded for ... accordingly. So yeah, when I find a HUGE... I mean... HUGE ammo can like i did the other day... and all it had in it was a softball.. and a baseball... literally... it is kind of a let down.. but no sweat. whatever. It's when I place a cache.. and get comments like.. great cache... good stock.. i mean, what's hard about it? If you don't have something equal or better... simply don't trade.

Don't worry, I'm not losing any sleep over it. Just wanted other peoples opinions on it. I'm sure it's pretty much a frustration on a small note across the board... esp when it's stuff that you placed.

Lol.. if you want new stuff, go shopping. Lol... apparently SOME of our fellow geocachers would rather people shop for them. To say that to me is funny. Cause obviously I do shop. Both for the caches I place.. and the ones I trade into.. or I wouldn't have even posted this topic. Lol..

I have never been "let down" by the contents of a cache, because to me, finding the cache is the reward.

The thing about geocaching is that as a cache owner, you really have very little control over what happens to your cache once you put it out there. You can only control the way you react. Hey, I'd prefer not to see adults misusing ellipses and using the term "lol," but for the sake of my own health I just roll my eyes and move on.

I have never been "let down" by the contents of a cache, because to me, finding the cache is the reward.

The thing about geocaching is that as a cache owner, you really have very little control over what happens to your cache once you put it out there. You can only control the way you react. Hey, I'd prefer not to see adults misusing ellipses and using the term "lol," but for the sake of my own health I just roll my eyes and move on.

I feel for you OP. I wish some people would play fair but some don't and some just make snarky comments.

It must be nice to be perfect. ;)

I cache with my two sons, ages 4 & 5 (ages 2 & 3) when we started this adventure. I get so frustrated not because I want the stuff but because I hate for us to find a cache and it is either empty, has something broken in it or I kid you not was stuffed with McDonalds ketchup packets because they are so disappointed. A few times like this and I carry a large backpack so I can stock others caches so other children won't be disappointed then I let the boys pick something out of the backpack or I will somehow swirl it all in so they don't realize that we came up empty. I don't know what the answer is but that is my solution to the problem. I just fill em up as I can.

We almost always cache with my 4-y-o son. He enjoys looking through caches, but isn't disappointed if there isn't some new toy for him. Much of the time, he's more interested in finding a neat stick or throwing rocks into a puddle. We make caching about the adventure of getting to the cache, finding it, and spending time together as a family. I don't want him to grow up thinking that there has to be a toy or a treat involved in order for something to be worthwhile.

When he does spot something he'd like, it's usually the kind of dirty old McD toy all the old timers like to gripe about. I think it's nice that some of these plastic toys can get a bit more use before they end up taking a thousand years to break down in a landfill.

Even in supposedly "well-stocked" caches, there's rarely anything that interests me. My favourite swag from a cache was a bracelet made with wooden beads that had obviously been worn before it got to me. I really don't know what people expect when they talk about good swag.

I really don't know what people expect when they talk about good swag.

When you think about it the trade up trade even never works.

If you do trade you normally leave something you don't want and take something you do want. So the value equation gets messed up from the start. The only hope you have is that the next person wants/values what you didn't more than you. Over time the cache must fill with what most people don't want. ie trash.

I don't cache for swag. My son does occasionally and his value equation is well out of whack with mine. He loves plastic soldiers and golf balls.

We did pick up a bit of swag once. It was the plastic clip thingy that holds a tupperware pastry sheet when rolled up. We had lost ours and there was one in a cache. Best swag we remember. Probably meant nothing to 90% of all the other cachers.

Edited by BelKen

We carry a variety of items in our pack and try to trade even or up. Some caches don't have much in them- one cache had a golf tee, a worn sticker, and a paper clip. Doesn't surprise us that some caches are depleted, but it is disappointing to the kids at times. So, we try to be a good example for them and restock the cache, and move on to the next find! For us, geocaching is more about the hunt and the family time together! My husband and I are on opposite days and shifts right now, so it is hard to find that time.

i had a members only one filled up with ipod accessories which i had left over from getting a batch in. i made up the cache to go back a couple of months later to find most of it gone and only a few bits left and it was and still is hidden well. I made it members only hoping they would be more honest, but i guess thats human nature.

On a plus side i went out to check on one of my series to find most the caches brimming with toys for kids in them, some were that full the lid was struggling to stay on so i removed some of the stuff and put them into caches i had that were bare. The last few things i had left over has gone into a tupperware box for the next cache i will place out.

We almost always cache with my 4-y-o son. He enjoys looking through caches, but isn't disappointed if there isn't some new toy for him. Much of the time, he's more interested in finding a neat stick or throwing rocks into a puddle. We make caching about the adventure of getting to the cache, finding it, and spending time together as a family. I don't want him to grow up thinking that there has to be a toy or a treat involved in order for something to be worthwhile.

When he does spot something he'd like, it's usually the kind of dirty old McD toy all the old timers like to gripe about. I think it's nice that some of these plastic toys can get a bit more use before they end up taking a thousand years to break down in a landfill.

Even in supposedly "well-stocked" caches, there's rarely anything that interests me. My favourite swag from a cache was a bracelet made with wooden beads that had obviously been worn before it got to me. I really don't know what people expect when they talk about good swag.

And now plastics take "a thousand years to break down"

Must be some special Mc Toys there in Ontario... ;)

When you think about it the trade up trade even never works.

If you do trade you normally leave something you don't want and take something you do want. So the value equation gets messed up from the start. The only hope you have is that the next person wants/values what you didn't more than you. Over time the cache must fill with what most people don't want. ie trash.

We don't trade stuff we "don't want" at all. We buy nice stuff specifically for trading that we do/ would want (in fact whenever I find a new swag item and buy 10 or 20 of them, the kids are usually all "oh they're cool, can I have one????" before we have even got them into our swag bag)

I also do a lot of caching with my two boys. Hotwheels are huge on their list. When we go, they like to bring a couple to drop, and possibly pick up...

I do have to constantly remind them that we are not going out to raid caches. They look at all the swag (good or otherwise) as complete treasure. Busted, broken Mc trash is still hit with "Can I keep this?"

I found a cache in the desert recently that was filled exclusively with 5/8" nuts. There was about a thousand in there. Ya know, if ya needed a few, thats not trash, its gold.

Each one is different. Take it with a grain of salt. "Blessed are those who do not expect anything, for they shall not be dissapointed".

To date, my favorite swag found was a card, with a baggie attached. The baggie had 4 'cuttings' off of automotive vacuum line and they were shrink wrapped in the baggie. The laminated card read: TIRE SEEDS and on the back it gave instructions to plant the seeds differently for different tires.

Someone MADE THAT. SUPER HUGE PROPS to that person... I really loved it.

Edited by Nitro Blast

Must be some special Mc Toys there in Ontario... :lol:

Plastics do take a long time to break down entirely, especially in a landfill.

Many plastics become brittle and break easily after prolonged exposure to UV light and other elements. They still take a very long time to break down completely.

The term "plastic" is a very general term that describes many chemicals with different properties.

Seriously, dude, a little self-guided internet research would do you a world of good.

shhhhhh.... i really don't want to see the "liquid nitrogen" BS again.

:)

It was an attempt to explain why a Folgers container doesn't shatter when the plastic is new and pliable, but will shatter once UV light and other factors make it brittle.

Seriously people, you're on the internet. UV light and plastic. Google is your friend.

It was an attempt to explain why a Folgers container doesn't shatter when the plastic is new and pliable, but will shatter once UV light and other factors make it brittle.

Seriously people, you're on the internet. UV light and plastic. Google is your friend.

seriously people, don't believe everything you read on the internet forum boards. Google is your friend. Liquid nitrogen is an incorrect explanation. SERIOUSLY!

seriously people, don't believe everything you read on the internet forum boards. Google is your friend. Liquid nitrogen is an incorrect explanation. SERIOUSLY!

That was an overly simplistic analogy, yes.

But brittle things are more prone to shattering than pliable things.

I do think that peer-reviewed scientific journal abstracts are fairly trustworthy as far as internet research is concerned. UV light does change untreated plastic, making it brittle.

I feel for you OP. I wish some people would play fair but some don't and some just make snarky comments.

It must be nice to be perfect.

She is, isn't she? :lol:

That was an overly simplistic analogy, yes.

But brittle things are more prone to shattering than pliable things.

I do think that peer-reviewed scientific journal abstracts are fairly trustworthy as far as internet research is concerned. UV light does change untreated plastic, making it brittle.

You couldn't just leave it at Ni!? :anicute:

I found a cache in the desert recently that was filled exclusively with 5/8" nuts. There was about a thousand in there. Ya know, if ya needed a few, thats not trash, its gold.

Actually, if I needed a 5/8" nut, I'd just go to the hardware store and buy one. Odds slim to none that I'd need one just at the time I found that cache. :lol:

Cute story about the "tire seeds". Somebody around here puts real packets of seeds in caches.

I recently found a theamed "McToy" cache. It was the greatest cache ever. I had fun finding it, and the kids loved the swag. All crappy McToys!

My point is that everyone has a different idea of what is good swag.

But you are correct. Swag degradation will happen. (maybe someone should make a shirt that sais "Swag Degradation Happens")

I recently found a theamed "McToy" cache. It was the greatest cache ever. I had fun finding it, and the kids loved the swag. All crappy McToys!

But you are correct. Swag degradation will happen. (maybe someone should make a shirt that sais "Swag Degradation Happens")

When I said trash.. i was talking about literal trash. Like expired coupons.. waaaay expired. Paper. trash... not just junky trades. I like some junky trades as well as the next guy. Not trash. It's ironic isn't it, we're supposed to be a group of "leave no trace." Yet we leave our trash in the cache itself. LOL.. yeah I was juvenile enough to write LOL..

I found a cache the other week in a neat little area. The cache itself isn't maintained at all and not the greatest container for the environment it's in and needs some love in general. It was filled with an array of trash stuff.

After some thinking about it and the area in general I came to the conclusion the trash in that particular cache was likely not the result of geocacher but rather some curious teenagers or even young adults who stumbled on it while looking for a cool place to hang out. Unused tampons, cig butts, tobacco and rolling papers etc. Looking back at the log it's kind of evident that random people were signing it. The cache lacks identifying stuff at this point (probably long lost).

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on cachers leaving literal garbage in caches.

I put swag and / or a pathtag in almost every cache large enough to accomodate such. I only take if something really catches my eye; got a Geocaching pin from a cache the other day, and recently I took a rubber band shaped like the letters "LOL." :lol: I'll remove real trash, like expired coupons or a sticker sheet with all the stickers pulled off, from the cache, and I enjoy leaving goodies, especially when I look back and see in a subsequent log a mention of the thing I left getting taken by someone else. :)

Digging through the swag is fun! Thank you to all CO's who replenish the inevitably depleted stash every once in a while, and to all those who trade up!

--Q

"My point is that everyone has a different idea of what is good swag."

Too bad that 'everyone' doesn't have the exact same idea of what garbage is.

Someone should make a shirt that says: "Geocaches are NOT Garbage Cans."

My personal opinion is that lots of geocachers apparently do not know the difference between 'good' swag and garbage. Or more likely, they know but really do not care.

My personal opinion is that lots of geocachers apparently do not know the difference between 'good' swag and garbage. Or more likely, they know but really do not care.

A lot of cachers will claim that swag items are garbage because they aren't interested in those swag items. McToys and golf balls are a good example of widely-hated swag items that many cachers consider garbage - yet there are some cachers out there who will defend those items and trade for them.

Geocaching.com doesn't provide much guidance on this issue. There are many cachers out there who don't read the forums, don't attend events, and just don't know what is socially acceptable to other cachers when it comes to swag.

Instead of just complaining in general terms about "good swag" versus "garbage," I'd like to see someone attempt to outline exactly what "good swag" is.

A lot of cachers will claim that swag items are garbage because they aren't interested in those swag items. McToys and golf balls are a good example of widely-hated swag items that many cachers consider garbage - yet there are some cachers out there who will defend those items and trade for them.

Geocaching.com doesn't provide much guidance on this issue. There are many cachers out there who don't read the forums, don't attend events, and just don't know what is socially acceptable to other cachers when it comes to swag.

Instead of just complaining in general terms about "good swag" versus "garbage," I'd like to see someone attempt to outline exactly what "good swag" is.

YES! Narcissa... you rock. Really. I will start, since I think this is a great direction to take this topic.

*** The swag I will mention below is what I PERSONALLY think is good swag, which I am 100% sure is going to be 100% different from what other people think is good swag.***

1) Signature Items and pathtags. They are hands down my FAVORITE things to trade for. I trade even; a sig item for a sig item, a pathtag for a pathtag. I keep them in a big book.

2) Plastic Dinosaurs, lobsters or crabs: My husband LOVES plastic dinosaurs, lobsters or crabs; and the occasional bat. Not sure why, he just does.

3) Gift Certificates/coupons. Yes I like them; why? I'm cheap. Note that this does not mean advertisements, but if I do find advertisements, I leave them. Someone else might like them.

4) Things I can use on the trail: bungee cords, tweezers, other containers, mini first aid kits, etc etc.

Everything else, not interested. But someone else might be!

I rarely make trades, but I have been known to trade for:

1) Dice, from board games, particularly interesting colours. One of my favourite scores from a cache is a transparent yellow die.

2) Foreign coins and bills. I don't even always trade for these items, but they are often interesting to look at and then I put back for the next person.

3) Fossils or rock samples

4) Small toys. I have a small child, and sometimes a little toy can really brighten his day.

5) Mini carabiners.

6) Keychain bottle openers. I've been stuck out in the woods with non-twist-off beer too many times.

7) Handmade items and/or personalized items.

8) Lapel pins.

9) Fridge magnets.

I try to keep a few items in my bag for those occasions when I do want to make a trade. Some recent items I've left in caches are handmade glass magnets (frogs and ladybugs), souvenir keychains from museum exhibits I've gone to see (the Dead Sea Scrolls keychain was a flashlight!), and little hand-carved wooden turtles and elephants that I picked up at a hippie store.

I rarely make trades, but I have been known to trade for:

6) Keychain bottle openers. I've been stuck out in the woods with non-twist-off beer too many times.

i should hope that was not while you were in Ontario

:lol: