Anyone that wants to come along?

Louise_Gerhard

We are three cachers going up to Lesotho. Date is unknown at present. But it will still be in the winter. We will probably spend a day in Lesotho. I would like to publish an event for our trip. At least if no caches are found then we have an event to log and some stories to share. (Lol)

I was thinking along the line of getting to the border on Saturday morning first thing. Then a drive up to Sani Pass. The event will be around 09h00 to 11h00 at the highest pub in Africa. As a bonus we can go and hunt for some caches after the event, maybe even plant a couple of new ones. We should be able to find Black Mountain Pass. I think this could be the first event in Lesotho. I hope we have the opportunity to see the frozen waterfall at icy corner.

So much for the mild stuff. Now comes the hard part. We stay for the night at Sani. This is basic down to earth stuff and it consists of a commune hall where about 20 people can sleep. If there is too many people than you will sleep on the floor. Ok, if you are tough then you can pitch the tent in -18 degree Celsius and in storm winds. Don’t worry I will take a shovel with and I will dig you out the next morning. Make sure you a have log book with you that I can sign for that find. ;)

Ok, this is serious stuff and you need a real 4x4 for this trip. If you do not have low range then you are in trouble. Snow driving is different and we could encounter severe obstacles such as “Where the hell is the road??” So the terrain rating will be high for this event. We could have extreme weather and if we are lucky we could be snowed in for two weeks. Then we have to select other routes to get out. It happened with me before and I had to exit at the Caledon Border Crossing. So you will have to carry food and diesel/petrol and the basic repair stuff such as fan belts, tape, tyre repair kits, shovel, water and tracks.

Anyone interested for a real adventure? If you really want some fun we can hold the event on top of Thabana Ntlenyana at 3482 meters above sea level. Highest peak south of Kili. About 7 hours hike to get there. I think Mafadi is the highest peak in South Africa at 3450 meters. My meters could be out and if yes sorry.

Now for the question – anyone keen to go with????? If yes – which dates is suitable?

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Ok, planning is under way. We are now 4 cachers in total, sorry Bruce you were about 5 minutes too late. But you have first right if one of the four cachers give it a miss.

We are targeting 14 August 2010. For this proposed event an alternative location must be planned near Himville in case of extreme weather or pass closure or refusal. I am busy resolving this one and then we will try to get the event published. Gerhard

Will someone give gerhardoos driving lessons before you go? I seem to recall some incident where his vehicle ended up in a sloot!

PS: Quite envious that it is too far for me to join.

Ouch... I was his left hand man and if it wasn't for me saving my camera, a few GPS's cellphones and various other goodies from flying out my shattered side window I think it may have been a bit more hectic. in the confusion I managed to keep Gerhard from zooming out the drivers seat and through my window into the dam way below him.... Trust me I have been on a few trips with the man... and aside from that mishap I have no problem driving along with him.... it was a mishap that could have happened to anyone... glad to be on his team.... Looking forward to this new adventure...

Guys, please ignore the comments of Mr. Pooks. You are in safe hands. Only uninformed people use exceptions to make rules. I am driving off road for nearly 30 years. My abilities are well known and well respected among the off-roaders. I was driving off road when some of us still played in the sand with matchbox cars with little snotty noses. :blink:

Mr. Pooks I have extremely good news for you. I am in Paarl in December to further your education and to widen your knowledge base so you can make a proper statement based on something. You and I are going for an off-road trip willingly or kicking or screaming. Out of the good of my heart I will give you the three options. Sorry, unfortunately I will not allow spare underpants on this trip. Just wear overalls it is easier to wash. However, I will ask the 4x4 club to send someone along to assist you in the case of any asthma or heart attacks. You will then understand why experienced drivers get in trouble more than the newbie which never try out of fear. After 30 years I can push the limits until it is a crack. I am looking forward to meet you again in the next 162 days. See, I am already counting the days and can’t wait. Sorry, I never let go of a promise or a challenge, it is not in my nature – we will continue this thread in 165 days from now with a feedback session. :lol:

Back to the event. The terrain rating is high because special equipment is needed and based on possible weather conditions. These trips were done with trailers in tow in the good old days when Dave Summers was still with us. About 10 years ago this pass was a severe challenge today it is a drive to the top. You now have to drive with a 4x4 taxi to get the fear feeling. We could drop the rating to 1 for difficulty and 4.5 for terrain seeming that there is no cache rating of such for your caching grid. I still feel a difficulty rating of 1 is relevant as a person in a wheel chair can drive to this gathering.

To give you some indication of the road conditions I need to tell you the following story. About 4 years ago we were at Black Mountain pass and it was snowing very lightly. My friend Dave was around the corner out of sight when my daughter said that something is coming from the bottom. I could not believe it – it was a blue Volkswagen Jetta. We were in low range in first gear and here is a guy driving with a normal vehicle at speed while it is snowing. We pulled off the road to give him a chance to pass us and to take a photo. This is not something you see everyday. Dave and I followed him to Sani but he drove like crazy and soon he was out of sight. As we arrived at Sani we noticed the Jetta and someone busy doing something underneath it. This guy was busy sawing off the rear silencer as it was damaged. We went to the pub after this “repair” to hear the story of his life and after admiring the damage to the Jetta which had a lot of character at that stage. He was a young guy, a German student that could not afford a 4x4 for his trip. So he bought the Jetta from someone in Cape Town without any papers at a very good price. The idea was to leave the Jetta with the keys somewhere in Durban on his return to Germany. I am quite sure that they sold him a stolen vehicle. I hope the owner got it back. He then told us that he is planning to go down Sani Pass the next day. He is not allowed to go up the pass but he done his homework and he learned that they will allow him into South Africa coming down the pass. We needed to see this move so the next morning at sunrise we followed him. That day I saw how a normal vehicle turned into a snow plough. He went though icy corner and I had to pray for him. After that day I lost my fear for Sani Pass. He made it to the border. So please attend with out fear – if a Volkswagen Jetta can do it than a 4x4 with low range is more than needed. Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Ok, planning is under way. We are now 4 cachers in total, sorry Bruce you were about 5 minutes too late. But you have first right if one of the four cachers give it a miss.

We are targeting 14 August 2010. For this proposed event an alternative location must be planned near Himville in case of extreme weather or pass closure or refusal. I am busy resolving this one and then we will try to get the event published. Gerhard

Hi Gerhard.

I'd love to join you guys.

Unfortuanty I also do not have a 4x4 available. I'll check with some friends of mine if they are keen. I'll let you know...

Till later!

Willem

Willem that will be great.

Anyone attending with a 4x4 and with an open space please drop me an e-mail. There are cachers that would like to fill that empty spare seat in your vehicle if it is ok with you.

I will be in Gauteng on Friday (13/07) and I have 3 spaces left in my vehicle but I have 3 cachers that I will meet later and that is going with me up Sani. So I can get 3 cachers to the border post but from there I will a problem. If I have to than I can squeeze 3 cachers with me but then it is tight. My vehicle is a 7 seater but the two at the back is for miniature children. You can put two adults in the back when the seats are removed. All depend how much you want to attend.

Maybe we are lucky to get an international visitor. I noticed a couple more visits on the listing. iNokia will also be joining so it appears as if the event is gathering momentum. Thanks for the support – I appreciate it. If there are any questions please do hesitate to send an e-mail.

Gerhard

There are cachers that wants to go along but that do not have access to any 4x4. Therefore I tried another option. I contacted my off road club and I hope we can get some Nissans and some of the grey bearded 4x4 drivers with us. There are some hard core guys with a lot of experience in this group.

I also hope we get a couple of terranos with us. Maybe we can turn some of them in geocachers. As soon as there is any response I will post this on this listing. There could be space available with them for cachers that do not access to any 4x4 but that would like to go along. I will post any response on this forum and on the listing. Gerhard

Hi Gerhard

Thanks for trying to get a few more 4x4s so we can come along. Much appreciated.

I tried one of my 4x4 friends, but he said he has been there recently, and does not feel like doing it again. Pity.

If it happens that we need to travel down in our car to the Underburg area, we have 5 seats open for others (We have 7 seater VW Sharan). We are thinking of leaving Friday afternoon, and sleep over at a B&B for Friday night, and then be fresh and ready Saturday morning.

I also enquired from the 4x4 tour operator in the area, how much it would cost for a trip up the mountain, and a trip back down the next morning. At R800.00 I thought that was a little steep.

Looking forward to see how this all works out.

As a matter of interest, which non 4x4 cachers are interested?

I know of:

DamhuisClan: 2 Adults, and

BruceTP : 1 Adult.

Photos from the Nissan web site. This will give you an idea what to expect. You do not want to fall down from this one. Could take a day to get to the bottom. :)

At present only one reponse but lack of money and distance is killing the trip concerning the off road guys. We will still go and even if I have to go down and get the other guys at the border and up again then this is plan C. Icy corner is the most dangerous, if you come from the top down then this is the one that will cause white knuckles. I will go first of the group and my passengers will get out at this point. This one you do alone. If it is too icy then I will add chains on the wheels to break the ice and to get it loose for the rest of the group.

The problem here is that we are going to be first at the border. We will also be the first guys at this corner. During the night this corner will ice up even more. If it is too slippery then you need to add chains to the back wheels if you are going up, chains on the front if you going down. The chain breaks though the icy layer and will dig into the gravel like a grader track. Low range and slow is the key, fast and you loose all traction and you could slide backwards and you do not want to go backwards. A bike is even worse but at least you can jump off in case of trouble.

Maybe I must leave my passengers here and let them walk the last bit to the top. I think they will really like me after this trick. (LOL) :)

Gerhard

c2532b24-17a1-46f2-b668-6f47067304b1.jpg

00dfecd2-7126-473b-b84e-d5b70bcdde09.jpg

3ca71aff-69b8-4eec-beac-a3124da714d1.jpg

ce11f4d9-87cc-41ea-9cb9-cc31c5966736.jpg

1ff36e9a-5de7-4501-9c8e-f8764fe4b03e.jpg

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Do not get too scared – the following log is of a man that went down this pass in a normal vehicle. Please look at the date of the log. Well done Lennu and your logs say it all. All depends on the weather but we have to be prepared. Gerhard

22-Aug-09 by Lennu

Here, we are. This is the continuation of the story. Please read first the beginning in the log of cache: GC1PVND

I kept on driving from the previous caches site and soon I found myself on an unpaved road. Until this moment I was only driving on asphalt. Not the best quality I must say, but at least decent. The road was quite ok despite being unpaved. I was passing by villages which seemed to be popped out some science fiction movie. Most of the people on the road were herders. Quite often there were groups of children trying to attract my attention and leaning their hands as for asking for something (money, candies). This people are very poor, I am sure. Driving further I found myself in some sort of canyon with a small river in the middle, the road was climbing higher and higher and the surface of the road became increasingly rougher. A couple of times I was also crossing creeks. Soon I reached the site of the cache. Possibly the highest place along the road. and here..... I have a few comments for the cache owner.

Take a look at this quote from the cache description:

"The road is only suitable for a 4X4 but you can walk there, as the cache is near the main road."

This sentence made me believe that the actual main road was suitable for a normal car, and only the small secondary road leading to the cache was too rough and required a 4x4. This quote was at least for me quite deceiving. I advice you not to attempt this cache with a normal car (check my car) but only with a 4x4. Specifically the road heading SE to the border is quite bad. Actually I should have looked at the picture "road" in the cache page. Look at that and you will have an idea. But let's focus on the cache now.

I parked my car at the side of the road in the proximity of this small path. I had to walk something like 200m to the cache location. No need to say that the precision of GPS in such an open space environment was quite good. I have never seen "Accuracy: 4m" before. The peak was covered with snow but as I was approaching the cache location I noticed that the general area of the cache was almost clear of snow. I started looking around some of the stones and then I had to conclude that the cache was actually buried in snow. I started to feel cold and I realized that I left my wind coat in the car. Fool me! I was there at an altitude of 3200m and I was not going to give up! I dug some snow and I probed my hand under a promising stone. The cache was quickly in my hands, YEEEES!!!!

I managed to sign the log with my frozen hands and I headed back to the car. I was just hoping that the road was a little bit better.

As previously mentioned, that was the highest peak I visited. Really beautiful, no wonder it was selected for a cache. The road was going down and down again and occasionally was quite rough and rocky. I kept on driving carefully and still hoping for better surface. High hopes.....

The road became worse and worse as it got steeper. In some points I really had to drive extremely slowly. After a while anyway I reached the valley. Altitude: 2400m more or less, if I remember correct. The terrain was flat and I reached the border gate. As soon as I arrived there was this one guy asking me:

- Is that a 4x4?

- No - I said

- Have you been in the road down here?

- No, is it bad?

- Well, yes! Certainly not suitable for such car!

- Wait a minute: is it worse that the one I came from?

- I don't know - he said - I haven't been there. Just take it easy and drive carefully. You'll be alright. It is quite rocky until the South African Border.

Apparently the SA border was far ahead. The place where I was only the "exit gate" from Lesotho.

I got my stamp on the passport and I started driving. After a few hundred meters..... WELCOME TO HELL!!!

The road was going down a very steep canyon and certainly was not suitable for a car like mine, actually I wouldn't personally go again not even with a 4x4 SUV.... maybe I could try with a tractor or a "monster truck". Stones and holes everywhere. You cannot actually talk about "road surface" because there was no such. A couple of 4x4 were coming down. I stopped to let them pass and they looked at me like I was crazy. I cannot blame them. Then a couple of guys with enduro bikes and a one guy with a quad. The idea of going back crossed my mind but the road was so bad and so steep that it was absolutely impossible.

The descent into the canyon seemed to be endless. I was struggling not to panic. Actually there were a couple of times when I thought that I needed a helicopter for rescuing me and the car. I had basically two concerns: the first was to get stuck and not being able to go forth nor back. The second concern was about the integrity of the oil pan. It just takes one spiky rock to puncture the oil pan and GAME OVER. So I was trying hard to prevent the bottom of the car to touch the ground. In a couple of occasions anyway I touched. But not in vital points. I didn't stop and I carried on, there was less than one hour of daylight left. I kept an eye on the temperature gauge. If the oil pan is broken then the temperature will raise and that means I am screwed. Temperature still looked good. I kept on driving.

As I reached the bottom of the road I stopped at the border gate. The guys with the bikes and the quad were there. They congratulated me: "Well done, you are ok! Not bad!" I came out of the car still shaking. The border offices came towards me with a big smile and he said: "Hello sir! You seem to be sweat! How come?" and I said: "How come? Try to drive THIS car on THAT road and then let's see how you sweat".

So, this is the story, remember: don't do this with a normal car. Infact not even with a brand new shiny SUV.

So he bought the Jetta from someone in Cape Town without any papers at a very good price. The idea was to leave the Jetta with the keys somewhere in Durban on his return to Germany. I am quite sure that they sold him a stolen vehicle. I hope the owner got it back.

A question. How did he manage to get this vehicle through the border post without papers? :)

So he bought the Jetta from someone in Cape Town without any papers at a very good price. The idea was to leave the Jetta with the keys somewhere in Durban on his return to Germany. I am quite sure that they sold him a stolen vehicle. I hope the owner got it back.

A question. How did he manage to get this vehicle through the border post without papers? :)

I would imagine that he just drove through like anybody else. :) When I lived in Lesotho never once was I asked to produce papers for either my SA registered car or my Lesotho registered 4x4 at any of the various border posts that I used to use - Sani included.

A couple of years back you arrived at the border and they would ask you if you have a 4x4. This was entered in a book and that was that. Just recently they changed the system and you now have to proof that you have insurance and that the owner of the vehicle agreed to use the vehicle in Lesotho. But again – they may ask you if you have it. I noticed two comments on the off road forum. One guy received a lot of trouble because he had no papers but they allowed him access eventually. The next guy stated that he had no problem and papers were not needed.

I think they are going to step up the formalities. I overheard a conversation that the safety checks and balances implemented during the world cup are going to be extended to other areas. Better to have the paperwork ready.

By the way do anybody have access to the weather conditions to Lesotho. I battle to have the correct forecast.

Gerhard

By the way do anybody have access to the weather conditions to Lesotho. I battle to have the correct forecast.

Gerhard

I got this of the Net - not sure how accurate it is...

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/weather/...20293/info.aspx

I don't have the numbers, but you could always call the Mohotlong [sp?] Hotel and ask about local conditions. Thaba Tseko also has a hotel if you are traveling deeper into the country. They will also be able to give you local conditions.

I did not plan any formal accommodation arrangements for this event. It appears as if there are a couple of cachers that wants to sleep over. I need the number of adults and children by Saturday if possible. I will use the numbers to negotiate a deal with the owners. If no special price than we have to book to make sure there are no hiccups -such as sleeping in snow inside a two man tent, bottle of OBS in the right hand and a candle in the left hand during a wind storm of 40 km/hr. (LOL) I will do the necessary arrangement next Saturday.

Please note – this is Africa and accommodation is basic. There is nothing fancy and prepare for such. No luxury such as hot water from the geyser. Go outside and make fire and get the little drum hot and you will have hot water. Lights go off at about 22h00 and then it is candles all the way. Make sure you have some candles and torches.

About 5 years ago it was so cold that I had to use my lighter to warm the air inside the sleeping bag. I was awake every hour on the hour. Dave woke me at about 02h00 just to tell me that he is not going to make it. This man from South West could handle the heat but not the cold. But then again, we could strike it lucky and have a nice pleasant stay with more tolerable temperatures. But this is Lesotho and anything can happen when least expected.

I hope to hear a lot of stories after this one. Do not be scared. Do it in low range and in first gear, no brakes and no foot on the accelerator and you will get to the top. If a fear of heights is a problem, do not look to your side but keep your eyes on the road. If the conditions are extreme we will get a way around it. If icy corner is too dangerous or there is too much snow on the hair pins than we will do the basic tricks of the trade again. I will dig a trench around the corners. Then we will guide the vehicle to follow the trench, with the right/left wheels inside the trench you will not slide off the pass. I never had to do this on this pass and it should not be needed. But this is a final option to make it safe. At least you will not do it alone. This is a new experience to some of us and now is the chance to do it in a group. Next time around it could be a tar road and the old days will be gone for good. Enjoy it while you can.

Is there anyone that wants to go along but that is still battling to get a place in a vehicle?

Gerhard

My wife and I will travel with Glider Slider.

I was under the impression from the beginning we would be spending one night in Lesotho. Was this not the plan Gerhard?

Must say I am really starting to get existed for this trip.

And I see there is a Tonteldoos cache in Howick as well.

Maybe we can do that one on the way back...

Bruce, I am travelling alone to Newcastle, there I will collect Bakgat, Wazat and ScotScot. So from Gauteng to Newcastle I can help. Is there anyone that can help from Newcastle?

Alternatively we have some options left.

1. The Terrano is fitted with seat belts for three people in the rear seat. Maybe we should do it this way. Maybe at the border we can get you in another vehicle with space. Else – up we go.

2. Alternatively it does have a large boot and you can get in easily. I done a trip to Nelspruit before with 2 people at the back and there was no complaints. As long as my companions pack light and they leave the kitchen at home. (lol)

Maybe someone have a different idea. I will upload some photos of the accommodation later this afternoon. Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

I uploaded some photos to the listing. I do not like to publish the following photo. There is a certain 4x4 Corsa that would love to go down this one. If he see this photo of a trailer with 10” wheels at the top without any damage this 4x4 Corsa will start to think. Hold on to the horse Wazat. :)

I went around the hairpins without reversing or any other problems with the trailer. I also uploaded some photos of the accommodation to make sure that there are no surprises. I can not wait for this trip and I am already counting the days. FE why are you not going with us?

During this trip (May 2005) I had enormous hassles to enter South Africa again. My daughter had a German Passport and me a South African passport. At the Caledon border post it took a lot of explaining and sweat to explain that she is my daughter. But where is the mother ….and why is she German… and why… and why…. and why…? Next time she uses her South African Passport, it could save another 50 minutes of explaining.

By the way, we will not do this trip with the blue 2.7 short wheel base but with the 3 liter long wheel base.

Gerhard

c0946ec0-27fe-4e17-af3c-d340f003832e.jpg

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Does anybody have skis ? or anything like skis? (snowboard?)

I have two power kites which I want to bring along, and try out on the snow.

A big 6 meter kite, which one can only use in very light winds, and a smaller Nasa Wing, which is slow to fly and handle but can be used in stronger winds.

Does anybody have skis ? or anything like skis? (snowboard?)

I have two power kites which I want to bring along, and try out on the snow.

A big 6 meter kite, which one can only use in very light winds, and a smaller Nasa Wing, which is slow to fly and handle but can be used in stronger winds.

I never thought of it... I must try stitch up my kite... I only have a 2 meter one... but the problem is that the wind up there becomes somewhat hectic. My self and BJB barely could stand when doing Ka-Langabalele....

And who says my Corsa won't make it? Of Corsa it can't they will not let it through the borderpost.... Unless.... *Goes to buy 4x4 badge for the car.....*

We have another person looking for a space in a 4x4. His details are below. This is quite a logistic nightmare to get cachers at this event. I now have two separate lists – one for accommodation and one for seating arrangements. I feel like an airport at the moment. Speaking of airports - is there anyone with a chopper at this stage? :lol:

I am quite concern at the moment. The event is due in three weeks and we are running out of accommodation and transport. If another 5 cachers wants to join then we are in trouble. If you have a 4x4 and you want to join us, you are at this stage more than welcome to join.

Sonsoeker

http://coord.info/PR396H3

Wazat I do not want to tell you this. I know you too well by now and I got some feedback from BAKGAT on your latest caches. The ability of the Corsa 4x4 baffled him. At one stage he had to drive on your tracks to get to your new caches and he was sweating. You go in at Caledon Border Post, down at Sani and back to South Africa. If you go up then they block you. I never told you about this trick, I will strongly disagree. This conversation never took place and I can not recall anything. Sorry, Alzheimer do run in our family. :blink:

Anton, if you take your 6 meter kite with please make sure you have a smoke grenade just in case the wind get hold of you. The cache owner will be impressed … “Could not find the cache but had to hunt for a cacher instead and found him. Left nothing, sign nothing but took cacher”. Anton, make sure you have a TB on you – at least I will be able to log you as a find. On a serious note; take it along – you have a 50/50 chance for decent conditions. At present the wind speed is normal and it will work quite nicely as at present. Luckily we have an expert with us – Glider Slider will tell you more about the correct air path and turbulence. At Sani Flats you can fly this easily. I think the Lesotho children will love it.

If there is anyone with second hand clothing then they can also bring it along. These people do need it and some desperately is the correct word.

Anton, if possible please bring your geocaching banner with. Maybe it is possible to take a nice photograph at the pub.

I am really looking forward to this event. At present I met most of the group and I think this event will be fun and something new in a different place. Just the transport is a real issue. There is still one option left. Your vehicle is safe at the border post at the South African side. If cachers can get to the border post as a group and are willing to leave their vehicles at the police then I am prepared to do Sani Pass a couple of times and I will do the transport. Ok, the only thing excluded and written in the fine stuff is the return trip. But that is not a problem. Only 8 km and all down hill from the Top, a nice and easy walk with a lot of fresh air and beautiful scenery. So transport is also resolved. :lol:

Sorry guys I got carried away – I will take you down again. Don’t worry.

Gerhard

Wazat I do not want to tell you this. I know you too well by now and I got some feedback from BAKGAT on your latest caches. The ability of the Corsa 4x4 baffled him. At one stage he had to drive on your tracks to get to your new caches and he was sweating. You go in at Caledon Border Post, down at Sani and back to South Africa. If you go up then they block you. I never told you about this trick, I will strongly disagree. This conversation never took place and I can not recall anything. Sorry, Alzheimer do run in our family. :blink:

Haa haa... He called me and was swearing at me... couldn't believe i got to some of those places... I believe he got stuck in the riverbed.... I just wonder what he was saying when he went up to Hart's Hill.... it is not bad but a bit of a bumpy ride nonetheless....

As for Sani.... I will just show them the 4x4 sticker on the back... Sorted.... :lol:

..... only thing excluded and written in the fine stuff is the return trip. But that is not a problem. Only 8 km and all down hill from the Top, a nice and easy ........

..... Flight down for Anton

I will bring my Banner with, and a video camera.

More details when we get there.

I will even update the ZA to LS (Oh shucks will need to check the 2 digit code for Lesotho).

We are also planning to go the the "R5.00 or More Store" and buy some pens and books, as well as candles. We will bring old clothes and shoes if we have any. Something we as geocachers can give back. (Great idea Gerhard!).

I have an old mountain bike somewhere. Maybe I could do the return trip on that? (not!)

Edited by DamhuisClan

Ysbeer, ons probeer om 08h00 by die Border te wees. Dan kan ons saam gaan as 'n groep. Maar weer - dit is nie 'n moet nie. Ons beplan om 3 ekstra caches ekstra neer te sit in Sani. Dit sal gedoen word terwyl ons op gaan. Nee, geen log sonder 'n gesoek nie. Wazat plant die een op die berg waar jy toue, die bybel en toerusting nodig het bokant die afgronde. Ek grap net.

Van daar sal ons die hele saterdag iewers daar bo wees. As iemand nie opdaag nie dan hoop ek dat een cacher sal agterbly om hulle te ontvang. Ons hoop om teen so 12 uur se kant te ry na Black Mountain Pass. Dit behoort gou te gaan en dan gaan ons die ander cache op die kant ook moet kry. Een is op die pas as ek reg onthou - hom sal ons kry op die pas. Ek moet nog kontak maak met die cache eienaars en toestemming by hulle kry om die caches te vervang as hulle nie daar is nie. Daar is sleg 3 caches as ek dit nie mis het nie. Dit sal dus 'n totaal wees van 7 caches met die event.

Ons sal seker laat gaan slaap. Daar in Lesotho op daardie hoogte is die sterrre iets om te onthou as die hemel oop is. Op die laatste moet ons af gaan teen so 10h00 die volgende oggend. (Sondag)

Ons het een buitelander gekry. As ek na sy e-mail en caches kyk dan is hy van Duitsland. Hy kom die volgende oggend (Sondag) eers daar aan. Die event is die saterdag maar ons sal wag vir hom. Die man het my op sy kniee mooi gevrae so dit moet so wees vir die beste kant van geocaching. Dit gaan meer oor die motief as die datum.

Sy besonderhede is ..

Larsiant

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Do not joke Gerhard... You know me... I will place one like that if I find myself fit for such a cache... Although Lesotho caches do go missing pretty easily.... I will have to improvise...Cammo it somehow... *Goes shopping for a dummy that looks like a Basotho Herd Boy* LoL.

Oh by the way there is a new cache in Underberg... but we will miss that one out to a certain Horned animal and a Spiky one....

If the night sky is so starry, we must get the times the ISS will travel over, and maybe we can few it.

ISS from Sani....

ISS Cache - OK this is tricky, it has a logbook that you need to actually sign. Cannot log it if you see it unfortunately.

We can do this as a Waymark though... Here is the one that Team TGF did back in 2007.. ISS Waymark Cape Town - Johannesburg

And a Grandfathered one on GC International Space Station

Bruce, I am travelling alone to Newcastle, there I will collect Bakgat, Wazat and ScotScot. So from Gauteng to Newcastle I can help. Is there anyone that can help from Newcastle?

If nothing else comes up, may I take you up on your offer please? I am sure we can come to some arrangements to get up the pass. That also means I will be requiring accommodation for the Saturday evening. Please include me in those reservations as well.

Bruce,

No problem you are booked. This now leaves me with cacher Elsie. This is tough - I resolve the one transport problem and now I got another one. I am sure we will help her somehow as well.

Some guys asked me for details of the route that I intent to travel. Here is the route plan. (DV)

Pre-Preparation:

Synchronize the cell phone with the calendar and activate alarm for the specific periods below.

Start:

1. Leave Benoni at 23h00.

2. Direction Standerton, Arrival time at 00h59, distance 155 km

• The following conditions exist.

• Could have a delay before reaching Newcastle, expect up to 50 minutes due to road works. If true then build up time from N3 crossing.

• Phone BAKGAT at 02h30 to make sure he is awake and going. He will probably phone me as usual. Bakgat phone ScotScot.

• Phone WAZAT at 03h00 to make sure he is rocking and revving.

3. Direction Newcastle, Arrival time at 03h45, distance 135 km.

4. Direction Ladysmith, Arrival time at 04h55, distance 104 km.

• The following is deemed dangerous areas during the night due to cattle, potholes, take it slow. If late and no traffic push for time from here but full lightening. Road to Border could be slippery and road works is the other danger.

• Direction S28 55.929 E29 46.977,

• Direction S29 06.814 E29 48.411,

• Direction S29 17.580 E29 42.261,

• Direction S29 31.523 E29 41.646,

• Direction S29 43.205 E29 31.280.

5. Direction S29 39.515 E29 26.858, arrival time at 07h49, distance from Ladysmith186 km.

6. Direction Sani Top, Arrival Time at 09h55, distance 33 km. From Border 8 km. Have to wait for cachers at this point. Assume no serious delay.

7. Get to pub, Lesotho border formalities. Welcome cachers at this point and introduction of teams. Down 1 by 2 litre OBS - be ready for anything. Sorry that is an error. I will drink one coke and have a hamburger at a height of more than 2000 meters.

8. Share some time – threaten cachers that do not want to give away the final waypoints of mystery cachers. Oops, another mistake. Ask for help; if nothing is given resolve it yourself. Such is life.

9. Wait for late comers up to 12h30 at the latest. If all members are accounted for ; depart at 11h00 – we still want to have more fun the afternoon.

10. Ask for any volunteer/s to stay behind if some cachers are still on their way. Sign on their behalf as part of the team in the logbook. Danger is here that all could volunteer to stay behind and I could find the cache alone. Maybe the pub thing is going to be too good if it snow.

11. At 02h00 we should be done with the caches at the top and back to pub.

12. From here cachers set the pace. Those that want to climb mountains let them do it. Just have to tie Wazat down at the pub first to make sure he does not escape to a mountain or to fetch the Corsa. Anton, have something planned here. Not sure what it is – but it is not a strip tease so I heard. Sorry for the disappointment.

13. We should be back at about 18h00 at the best place – THE PUB.

14. From here onwards all late comers pay penalties all the way as decided and accepted by the cachers. I hope I am not the one. That penalty could be anything. Even shed clothing for every hour late. If you are very late you could end up as a new born baby. Or just a coke to all, or 1 x 2 litre of OBS. Maybe the cachers will just accept an apology if they are happy.

15. At about 22h00 or later or any other time probably bed time.

16. Next morning at 03h00 all cachers will be ready for counting; with shorts, and I do mean shorts only and running shoes. We will then do a 5 km run and back to get the cold out of the system. Oops, another big mistake. Let me try this sentence again, at around somewhere the next morning we will be awake and we will have something to eat, we will wait for the sun, and something will be done the next morning and we will leave sometime or another. If the gathering was successful and we are not ready to return to our normal life but are doing it very reluctant - we will then volunteer to be herdsman for the rest of our life and we will wear a blanket around us for ever.

All above rules are subjected to change at any given time as and how the team of cachers decide without any prior notice. My lawyer stated that I must include this sentence for some reason. :laughing:

Gerhard

Bruce,

No problem you are booked. This now leaves me with cacher Elsie. This is tough - I resolve the one transport problem and now I got another one. I am sure we will help her somehow as well.

Some guys asked me for details of the route that I intent to travel. Here is the route plan. (DV)

Pre-Preparation:

Synchronize the cell phone with the calendar and activate alarm for the specific periods below.

Start:

1. Leave Benoni at 23h00.

2. Direction Standerton, Arrival time at 00h59, distance 155 km

• The following conditions exist.

• Could have a delay before reaching Newcastle, expect up to 50 minutes due to road works. If true then build up time from N3 crossing.

• Phone BAKGAT at 02h30 to make sure he is awake and going. He will probably phone me as usual. Bakgat phone ScotScot.

• Phone WAZAT at 03h00 to make sure he is rocking and revving.

3. Direction Newcastle, Arrival time at 03h45, distance 135 km.

4. Direction Ladysmith, Arrival time at 04h55, distance 104 km.

• The following is deemed dangerous areas during the night due to cattle, potholes, take it slow. If late and no traffic push for time from here but full lightening. Road to Border could be slippery and road works is the other danger.

• Direction S28 55.929 E29 46.977,

• Direction S29 06.814 E29 48.411,

• Direction S29 17.580 E29 42.261,

• Direction S29 31.523 E29 41.646,

• Direction S29 43.205 E29 31.280.

5. Direction S29 39.515 E29 26.858, arrival time at 07h49, distance from Ladysmith186 km.

6. Direction Sani Top, Arrival Time at 09h55, distance 33 km. From Border 8 km. Have to wait for cachers at this point. Assume no serious delay.

7. Get to pub, Lesotho border formalities. Welcome cachers at this point and introduction of teams. Down 1 by 2 litre OBS - be ready for anything. Sorry that is an error. I will drink one coke and have a hamburger at a height of more than 2000 meters.

8. Share some time – threaten cachers that do not want to give away the final waypoints of mystery cachers. Oops, another mistake. Ask for help; if nothing is given resolve it yourself. Such is life.

9. Wait for late comers up to 12h30 at the latest. If all members are accounted for ; depart at 11h00 – we still want to have more fun the afternoon.

10. Ask for any volunteer/s to stay behind if some cachers are still on their way. Sign on their behalf as part of the team in the logbook. Danger is here that all could volunteer to stay behind and I could find the cache alone. Maybe the pub thing is going to be too good if it snow.

11. At 02h00 we should be done with the caches at the top and back to pub.

12. From here cachers set the pace. Those that want to climb mountains let them do it. Just have to tie Wazat down at the pub first to make sure he does not escape to a mountain or to fetch the Corsa. Anton, have something planned here. Not sure what it is – but it is not a strip tease so I heard. Sorry for the disappointment.

13. We should be back at about 18h00 at the best place – THE PUB.

14. From here onwards all late comers pay penalties all the way as decided and accepted by the cachers. I hope I am not the one. That penalty could be anything. Even shed clothing for every hour late. If you are very late you could end up as a new born baby. Or just a coke to all, or 1 x 2 litre of OBS. Maybe the cachers will just accept an apology if they are happy.

15. At about 22h00 or later or any other time probably bed time.

16. Next morning at 03h00 all cachers will be ready for counting; with shorts, and I do mean shorts only and running shoes. We will then do a 5 km run and back to get the cold out of the system. Oops, another big mistake. Let me try this sentence again, at around somewhere the next morning we will be awake and we will have something to eat, we will wait for the sun, and something will be done the next morning and we will leave sometime or another. If the gathering was successful and we are not ready to return to our normal life but are doing it very reluctant - we will then volunteer to be herdsman for the rest of our life and we will wear a blanket around us for ever.

All above rules are subjected to change at any given time as and how the team of cachers decide without any prior notice. My lawyer stated that I must include this sentence for some reason. :laughing:

Gerhard

Hi, this is my first forum post so I hope I'm doing this the right way.

I have done some research and considered alternative ways to make it to Sani top and back, since I just don't want to give up so easily on a great event like this. I'm also not a "getting up at 4 a.m." kind of person, so I considered the following option:

1. Fly to Durban on the 13th Aug

2. Drive from Durban to Himeville in a hired vehicle

3. Then I need a lift in one of the 4x4's to Sani top and back (unless I do that 8km walk/slide down :laughing: )

4. Stay over at Sani Top Chalet on the 14th Aug

5. Take the drive around to the other caches in one of the 4x4's on the 15th of Aug

6. Then I can either stay over in Himeville again or at Howick falls on the 15th of Aug

7. Drive to Durban and fly back from Durban on the 16th of Aug

With this in mind, is there any of the 4x4 owners with 4 people in the car that would be able to give me a lift to the top and back please, and also for the drive around to some of the caches in the area.

P.S. I know I'm one of the few females in the group, but females do have some advantages (e.g. think freshly bakes scones, muffins, etc...) Hehehe, no I'm not trying to bribe anyone here... :wacko:

Edited by Sonsoeker

Phew, our mouths have been watering to join you on this trip, but sadly, we can't.... :wacko:

Been there, and done that a few times (the pass and the pub, not the caches), and it's always a very special adventure, especially in winter.

Ice on the road is quite an adrenaline rush :laughing: So are the 4x4 taxis - LOL!!

Sad that there's talk of upgrading the pass - that could partly spoil it's "specialness".

Enjoy your trip - we envy you!!!

And don't miss out on the gluwein :blink:

Some pics from our last trip to whet your appetite -

(If you want to keep it a surprise, then don't look at them...)

Ice Waterfall

Another Ice Waterfall

An SUV without low range can get there too...

The view from Gluwein-fontein

Take it all, but take it easy!! :blink:

Gerhard:

Book the 4 of us for the Saturday night at the top. I confirmed with everyone in our "group".

Group consists of:

Brian, Jorst, Anton and Trish.

Sonsoeker: I am sure as a very last resort, someone will not mind to squeeze a little on the way to the top. So go with the fly to Durban plan. However something will come up I am sure. It always does, as there are usually some cachers who decide at the last moment to go.

Hi Damhuis, I also think something will come up, but I first wanted to check for alternatives before booking a flight. Unfortunately the corporate training plans have changed, so I'll have to pay for the flight myself. :laughing:

However, I still think it's worth it for a great event like this.

Gerhard, since I'm sure that I'll get there somehow (there must still be some donkey carts going up there as well :wacko: ), I would like to book a place to stay over at the top on Saturday evening the 14th Aug.

The good news is that I can get a lift with I&J, from Vryheid. Seeing that Vryheid and Howick are both more or less 4 hour's drive from Randburg, I'll probably arrange to meet them in Howick. So my transport problem is sorted!

Gerhard, what is planned for the Sunday, or is everyone getting up late after the "penalties" and then heading home slowly?