Good news for northeast cachers

Can you put GeoWoodstock X in my area, please?

You can submit an entry for your area. I wouldn't be surprised to see it bounce back and forth between the coasts unless someone in the middle wants to host it.

The main requirements are:

1. Organizers have attended at least one previous Geowoodstock.

2. Your organization can host an event that will have thousands of attendees coming from all over the world.

I had to look around a bit and I think I've got all of them correct:

GW1: Louisville, KY

GW2: Nashville, TN

GW3: Jacksonville, FL

GW4: Dallas, TX

GW5: Raleigh, NC

GW6: Wheatland, CA

GW7: Bell Buckle, TN (near Nashville)

GW8: Seattle, WA

The one in Raleigh was actually further east than the location for GW9, but for those living in the Northeast, GW9 will be closer for most.

I sense a definite bias toward the south.

That list is correct. The SE bias isn't inaccurate, but somewhat deliberate. The PNW has Champoeg, the Midwest has MWGB, so Geowoodstock stayed in the SE for the first five years. But when groups from the left coast volunteered to host the event, their bids were considered.

I've been to every one since #2 and was quite involved in #5. I don't plan on missing this nor any future ones. Two of my regular geopals know that area quite well and are looking forward to touring it again. I've already cached all the NE states (but not NWPa), and will take the opportunity to cross the border and add another county to my map next year. :)

Crossing @ between Buffalo and Fort Erie is a good option. Take the time to visit the old fort @ Fort Erie, it is well worth the time.

I would recommend either The Peace Bridge (Buffalo/Ft Erie) or Queenston- Lewiston Bridge. If you want to visit The Falls enter Canada from either one I would avoid The Rainbow Bridge

http://niagarafallsbridges.com/traffic_conditions.php3

You could also park at Niagara State Park (NY) and walk across the bridge. There is a big parking lot right by the bridge, great views on the way across, much less hassle at the border check, and a few caches within walking distance once you get across. You cross right at the base of the tourist tra.... er Clifton Hill.

23 miles from home! Im in. Yes you can make it to the Peace bridge in 2 hours, I regularly made it from the refinery to the border in 1 hour 50 minutes. The trick is keeping that left door closed. But as pointed out by TheWhiteUrkel, you can easily spend 2-3 hours at the border. I would shoot for crossing between 12am-3am, bars close in Buffalo at 4am, and you DONT want to get stuck in that mess.

FYI, Dont forget your passport, or you will not cross the US border.

That might require a reevaluation of the normal dates of Memorial Day or July the Fourth weekends. :)

Just checked. It's currently 108 degrees in Las Vegas, with a high of 111F.

We've done Vegas on the 4th. I will not do it again. Way too hot and uncomfortable.

Now if they were to schedule it in February....

Edited by GeoBain

I'm looking into reserving a Group site at Buckaloons (part of the Allegheny NF and about 5.7 miles from Warren).

It holds up to 50 folks, 10 cars and runs 50$ a night (plus I assume more for each person).

I'm thinking of getting it from the 1st to check out on the 4th.

If you are interested in sharing a space send me a PM.

The reason I'm looking at a group site is because those can be reserved now, the smaller sites can't be reserved until January.