Good news for northeast cachers

For those that haven't heard, and especially of interest to New York State and Pennsylvania geocachers the location for the next Geowoodstock (IV) has been announced. It's in Warren, PA (just north of Allegheny Park and will be held July 2, 2011.

What is geowoodstock?????

For those that haven't heard, and especially of interest to New York State and Pennsylvania geocachers the location for the next Geowoodstock (IV) has been announced. It's in Warren, PA (just north of Allegheny Park and will be held July 2, 2011.

That ought to give me plenty of time to get the ole Waaaaaayyyyy Back mobile out of the shop.

I'm thinking of a way to make the logistics work for GWIX but the Independence day weekend isn't a fabulous time to be heading out 3,000 miles.

I wouldn't mind going to give an added reason to head that way to cache a few states and check out some of the country I've never seen. It would be a week vacation if I do go.

GWVIII was interesting.

Edited by bittsen

From Warren, PA it's a 2 hour drive to pick up an Ohio GC.

It's a half hour or so to pick up a NY cache.

Lake Erie is a short trip as well.

Niagra Falls is a mere 90 minutes away which means within 2 hours you could have a Canadian cache as well.

Time to get that Passport??

Niagra Falls is a mere 90 minutes away which means within 2 hours you could have a Canadian cache as well.

Heck, fly into Detroit for that matter, and pick up Michigan and Indiana on your way through. Not that flying into Detroit is any better than Pittsburgh....just sayin' [:blink:]

And yes, time to get your passport!

July 2 is in my daytimer, not sure yet whether I can swing the time away from work. It's definitely a do-able drive, my problem is that I tend to get distracted by all the caches on the way.... ;)

Or an EDL if your state has them. I don't know if they all do.

According to wikipedia (which we know is never wrong about anything, ever), EDL's are only available in NY, Vermont, Washington and Michigan. I got's mine (I'm a New Yawker), and they are good for Mexico and the Caribbean as well, as opposed to getting a passport.

That means Enhanced Driver's license, seeing as 46 of the 50 States have no idea what we're talking about.

Oh yeah, 90 miles to Warren Pa. for me. I'm there, although most likely only for a day trip.

I might be able to make it. The logistics seem simple right now. 2 main options.

Fly PDX to FOD. Steal Borrow my parents' vehicle, hit WI, IL, IN, MI and OH before GW9 in PA. Hit ON & NY before returning to FOD and flying home. 1900 miles. Free car. New areas cached: 1 province, 7 states.

Fly PDX to BWI. Get rental car. Hit MD, DC, VA, WV and OH before GW9 in PA. Then hit NY, ON, QB, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ and DE before returning to BWI and flying home. 1800miles. Rental car. New areas cached: 1 district, 2 provinces, 14 states.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

GWVIII is only 200 miles from your posted coordinates.

Which is way too far. I don't have the money to go beyond 10 km from my home coordinates. If you'd like to donate some, be my guest. But if you don't, my 10 km limit will have to stand.

Edited by DENelson83

According to wikipedia (which we know is never wrong about anything, ever), EDL's are only available in NY, Vermont, Washington and Michigan. I got's mine (I'm a New Yawker), and they are good for Mexico and the Caribbean as well, as opposed to getting a passport.

That means Enhanced Driver's license, seeing as 46 of the 50 States have no idea what we're talking about.

Oh yeah, 90 miles to Warren Pa. for me. I'm there, although most likely only for a day trip.

I could get a EDL but I prefer having a passport. Which reminds me, I need to send mine in the the passport agency in DC to get some pages added to it. I've only got a page and a half empty on it and although I don't have any immediate international travel planned (unless you count Florida) there is a project I'm working on for an university library in Tanzania that may be ramping up soon.

BTW, I've been geocaching for 3.5 years and although I've found caches in 19 states and 10 different countries, and Ohio is only about 4 hours and Canada about 3 hours way (I was about an hour from the border earlier today) I still haven't found caches in Ohio or Canada.

If you fly into a Pittsburgh, it's a pretty short drive down to West Virgiinia as well. I'm sure there must be a list somewhere that shows where all of the previous Geowoodstocks have been held but I don't think I've seen it. Warren, PA (about 3.5 hours from me) is certainly the closest location since I've been caching.

Drats....was hoping for close to Texas too.....wasn't aware of geocaching back when GW IV happened. Did they say that they'll all be around the fourth of July now? I was hoping they'd NOT plan it around a holiday because it'll mess up my paid holiday (gotta work the day before and the day after). Oh well.....we'll see.

Did they say that they'll all be around the fourth of July now? I was hoping they'd NOT plan it around a holiday because it'll mess up my paid holiday (gotta work the day before and the day after). Oh well.....we'll see.

GeoWoodstock is always on the Saturday of either Memorial Day or July 4th weekend, that's part of the hosting guidelines.

In previous years, it was often on Memorial Day weekend, esp. in southern venues, to avoid summer heat. However, in more northern climes, July 4th is often the better option, weather-wise, which is why GW8 in Washington was this past weekend and may be why the Pennsylvania folks also chose July 4th.

Believe me, you would not have enjoyed GW on Memorial Day up here - it was torrential downpour most of the time. Pacific Northwest summers start July 5. And, right on schedule, today the sun is out and it's warmed up. Yahoo!

Edited by hydnsek

Thanks for clarifying that. We have attended two GW's and both were on Memorial Day weekend. That works much better for us. We cannot close our A/C business in July in Florida...just not an option. So, unfortunately we cannot make PA which we would have loved to gone to. Hopefully it will move back to Memorial weekend the following year.

I will give a resounding maybe on this one... not sure if we can get away from work for that amount of time, but it would sure be fun to go to another GW in the East. We were exhausted enough going this year!! We'll just have to see.

I'm thinking that the Oregon-based geocaching organizations (SWAG, SAGA, SOG, GEO) should do a convoy, similar to the Calgary Convoy at this year's GW. They had a beaver, we can have a beaver driving and a duck with a map and GPS riding shot-gun!

I will give a resounding maybe on this one... not sure if we can get away from work for that amount of time, but it would sure be fun to go to another GW in the East. We were exhausted enough going this year!! We'll just have to see.

I'm thinking that the Oregon-based geocaching organizations (SWAG, SAGA, SOG, GEO) should do a convoy, similar to the Calgary Convoy at this year's GW. They had a beaver, we can have a beaver driving and a duck with a map and GPS riding shot-gun!

I like it!!

A big chunk of that drive to Canada will be on local roads. I doubt that you could actually get to Niagara Falls (Canada) from Warren in two hours (even if the bridge crossing ran super fast). Also, if you are just hankering to add a Canadian cache or two to your list, the smarter play would be to cross the Peace Bridge in Buffalo and look for a few in Fort Erie. Edited by sbell111

that's AWESOME!!!! :blink::lol::lol::o:o

it is 600 miles closer. today 2100 miles away....next year 1500 miles away.

maybe in 4 years it'll actually be close enough. :)

4 years ago it was in the Dallas area.

I had to look around a bit and I think I've got all of them correct:

GW1: Louisville, KY

GW2: Nashville, TN

GW3: Jacksonville, FL

GW4: Dallas, TX

GW5: Raleigh, NC

GW6: Wheatland, CA

GW7: Bell Buckle, TN (near Nashville)

GW8: Seattle, WA

The one in Raleigh was actually further east than the location for GW9, but for those living in the Northeast, GW9 will be closer for most.

A big chunk of that drive to Canada will be on local roads. I doubt that you could actually get to Niagara Falls (Canada) from Warren in two hours (even if the bridge crossing ran super fast). Also, if you are just hankering to add a Canadian cache or two to your list, the smarter play would be to cross the Peace Bridge in Buffalo and look for a few in Fort Erie.

I agree with this. Fort Erie has always been rather cache deficient, but there's enough if you've never been there, I suppose. And there is a 25 cache paved bike trail "mini powertrail" about 7 or 8 miles into Canada from the Peace Bridge.

The problem: July 4th weekend, and Canada Day is July 1st. The bridge is going to be absolutely brutal. One hour delays both ways as a minimum, even up to 3 hours if you choose the wrong time. My only suggestion is to make the crossing from Midnight until about 6:00 AM. And midnight would probably even be too early. :blink:

Warren County Fairgrounds Pittsfield, PA which is 13 miles west of Warren on US route 6.

This is only 153 miles (less than 3 hours) from the Cleveland airport.

I was lucky enough to get 2 days off to drive to Carnation from central Oregon. I'd love to come back to PA but probably can't take the time from work at the fire tower.

that's AWESOME!!!! :lol::):D:D:)

it is 600 miles closer. today 2100 miles away....next year 1500 miles away.

maybe in 4 years it'll actually be close enough. :(

4 years ago it was in the Dallas area.

I had to look around a bit and I think I've got all of them correct:

The one in Raleigh was actually further east than the location for GW9, but for those living in the Northeast, GW9 will be closer for most.

I sense a definite bias toward the south.

OK. The pressure is on for BlueDeuce to get GWX in Iowa so I can visit my family.

I'm all for Iowa, too!