GPS in Europe

I want to have some fun with my kids while in Europe. I would like to buy a GPS for geocaching. I don't know if the kids will like it, so I dont' want to spend a lot. Would the Garmin Venture HC be a good choice to start with and use in Europe?

I want to have some fun with my kids while in Europe. I would like to buy a GPS for geocaching. I don't know if the kids will like it, so I dont' want to spend a lot. Would the Garmin Venture HC be a good choice to start with and use in Europe?

That GPSr will work just fine. It is, afterall, a Global Positioning System. ;) There isn't much that limits any area to the use of any GPSr.

You bet. And with that $99 deal at Amazon someone posted a few threads down, it's a steal.

I just ordered and will be here the day before I leave. I hope that I have time to try it out before we leave! I'm hoping it will be a nice addition to fun in Venice. I'm hoping to find some travel bugs that need a long distance transfer. I'm studing up on travel bugs so I do it right.

I just ordered and will be here the day before I leave. I hope that I have time to try it out before we leave! I'm hoping it will be a nice addition to fun in Venice. I'm hoping to find some travel bugs that need a long distance transfer. I'm studing up on travel bugs so I do it right.
The etiquette is pretty simple:

Log the fact that you've retrieved a bug as soon as you can after taking it from the cache. Your study will explain how logging of bugs and coins is done.

If the bug includes some docs that spell out a specific mission, be sure you're prepared to help it achieve that mission if you choose to pick it up and not just "discover" it.

Don't hold onto it too long - unless it's necessary to give you time to help it on a specific mission (e.g., take its picture at a baseball game, etc.).

Don't accidentally use the number that's actually on the bug or coin in any of your posts. Using the name of the bug is fine.

I really enjoy caching in foreign countries. Many of the caches I've found there take me to interesting places - more than that happens here in the U.S. If there's a famous spot, you can be sure there's a cache there somewhere.

If you'll only be in the Venice area, you can load up a Pocket Query 500 caches near the area you'll visit, and then you can just "peek" at the GPS whenever the mood suits you to see if there's something nearby calling to you.. but for that, you'll need to pitch for the Premium membership here at geocaching.com. It gives you the ability to pull down far more caches in one shot than your Venture could hold (don't go over 500!). REALLY - I'm not kidding - it's something you really SHOULD do before you head off.

It works just the same there as it does here. And we ALL use the WGS84 datum for caching, so you don't need to fool around with local map datum info.

One thing you WILL need to do is give your Venture a few minutes to realize where it is and acquire a fix on the satellites that are local to you when you first turn it on there. It will likely "remember" what it though "normal" was when you last used it at home.

Edited by ecanderson

I will upgrade to premium! I'm going to find my first geocache at home before I go. This is something that I have wanted to do with my kids for a long time. I hope that all goes well and I can figure out how to work the unit and find some caches in Europe. We are also visiting Austria. We are staying with friends which will be great as most caches are only in German and I will need some translation. I will try to report as I go.