my feedback on the lower map on cache pages

Cha Bo

I really like the improvments having the choice of terrain, map, sat. etc... is really kewl! But I miss being able to click on it and it opening a new page that I could surf around and find more caches in that area.

Great job thanks for all the hard work you guys put into the website. I for one appreciate it, I just can't spell it. LOL :mad:

ITS STILL THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really is.

I'm sorry, but there have been two hundred threads spawned by this issue, and it is really such a non-issue that I'm flabbergasted.

The easiest way is to click the "Geocaching.com Google Map" link on the left side of the page. One click. Just like you had before. Just click in a different spot.

If instead, you prefer to do two clicks, then click on the treasure box first, then click on the link that offers up to you.

Get to know those map links on the left. You should have discovered them long ago. Check out the Bing maps, then from there, the BirdsEye View (not terribly intuitive, I know, but stay with it... you'll get it) They're awesome.

ITS STILL THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really is.

I'm sorry, but there have been two hundred threads spawned by this issue, and it is really such a non-issue that I'm flabbergasted.

The easiest way is to click the "Geocaching.com Google Map" link on the left side of the page. One click. Just like you had before. Just click in a different spot.

If instead, you prefer to do two clicks, then click on the treasure box first, then click on the link that offers up to you.

Get to know those map links on the left. You should have discovered them long ago. Check out the Bing maps, then from there, the BirdsEye View (not terribly intuitive, I know, but stay with it... you'll get it) They're awesome.

Awww. Thanks. Had tried links to the left before always just got Lists of caches. guess I did not try them at the bottom Thanks.

Edscott has got it!! On the lower map, click on the actual cache marker and a little bublle will appear saying "view nearby caches", clicking on this opens a new window with map.

Thank you!! :lol:

Nice to see things still function. THAT little trick certainly wasn't intuitive, but I'll certainly be using it. Thanks to all who brought it to our attention.

i still don't get it. how is that better than using the "geocaching google maps" link?

It's not better nor is it worse. It's just different.

Happens all the time in the IT world. New version of Office is installed and the icon for Word or Excel is now different. Some end users will refuse to click it because "the icon is different". No matter how hard you try you won't be able to convince them it's the same thing.

You'll end up having to hunt down the old icon and replacing it for them. Then and only then will the click it. That's pretty much what happened here with the click on the cache to open the link thing.

it's two clicks versus one. in my book that is worse.

Perhaps they see the "move mouse left" as a requirement as well. Presuming one begins with eyes viewing the map, not only does one have to move one's eyes to the left, but one must also move the mouse pointer to the left, navigate to the correct link, and then click. With the map it was just one click. Or, thankfully now one can click the icon, and without having to move one's eyes very much, a new link appears right there to be clicked. So the icon on the map is actually better, faster, and easier than the self-explanatory text link to the left. It also helps combat carpal tunnel syndrome, requiring less mouse movement.

...Please don't mame me, people who want the old map back! =P srsly, I'm kidding

Edited by thebruce0
Presuming one begins with eyes viewing the map, not only does one have to move one's eyes to the left, but one must also move the mouse pointer to the left, navigate to the correct link, and then click. With the map it was just one click. Or, thankfully now one can click the icon, and without having to move one's eyes very much, a new link appears right there to be clicked. So the icon on the map is actually better, faster, and easier than the self-explanatory text link to the left.

while this is a sound explanation, it only holds true if you assume that one has the mouse pointer always at the same location as you're looking at. i don't know how you use your PC, or rather your GUI, but that's not how i do it. :lol:

The mouse will wear out twice as fast! The horror! :)

this post demonstrates that you also find the detour via the mini-map pointless. why the sarcasm then?

this post demonstrates that you also find the detour via the mini-map pointless. why the sarcasm then?

Just playing the part of the person who refuses to use the single click hyperlink and who is desperately trying to come up with a reason to get them to change the mini map back. :lol:

Don't like my acting skills? :)

Edited by Avernar
Just playing the part of the person who refuses to use the single click hyperlink and who is desperately trying to come up with a reason to get them to change the mini map back. :D

well, stop it, cause i actually like the new map :)

but that brings the old point back: how is a single click on a hyperlink different than a single click on a map image? other than that the clickable area is smaller? (maybe that's the reason?!)

Don't like my acting skills? :D

devil's advocate? i invented that! :lol:

Edited by dfx

devil's advocate? i invented that! :lol:

While I like to play devil's advocate, in this case I'm not. A devil's advocate argues the other side because they believe that both sides should be heard and the issue debated.

In this case I am just trying to show how silly the other side is because I think their position is dumb. :anibad:

Then click once on the link on the left.

(actually, there is another, little known, link to the Geocaching.com Google map, and that is in the light blue box that contains the coordinates for the cache... just to the right of where is gives the name of the state and country the cache is hidden in:

In Minnesota, United States View Map

So... there are THREE ways to get to that map.

yes yes. i'm just curious why a few people are so thankful that now they can do the same thing via the map again, just with double the amount of clicks. are they so resistant to change that they have to use the mini-map and are completely unable to do it via a link that's just a few inches to the left? or is there any other reason i'm missing?

(actually, there is another, little known, link to the Geocaching.com Google map, and that is in the light blue box that contains the coordinates for the cache... just to the right of where is gives the name of the state and country the cache is hidden in:

But they're just dancing around the main issue here! They're just posers, they're not the real thing. The map WANTS to be clicked. They've taken away its right to be clicked to open a new map. It's simply unfair. Don't accept those knock-off substitutes.

I've been trying to figure out what the heck you (and others) were talking about. Finally figured it out. That link only appears for caches in the United States.

United States: 3 Rest of the World: 2

I will say that I have found one thing about the new map that I don't like... if I'm scrolling the page and my mouse pointer ends up over the map, instead of scrolling the page, it zooms the map. I guess there isn't much that can be done about that, though, but it can be annoying at times.

I will say that I have found one thing about the new map that I don't like... if I'm scrolling the page and my mouse pointer ends up over the map, instead of scrolling the page, it zooms the map. I guess there isn't much that can be done about that, though, but it can be annoying at times.

I have that problem on another web site with a much bigger map. Fortunately the map is small enough that you can easily avoid it. Just keep the mouse pointer closer to the right side of the screen when scroll wheelin'.

firefox (at least under linux) has an elegant solution for this: the "scrolling focus" is changed only when the mouse pointer is moved. which means that if you start scrolling the page, you will continue to scroll the page even if the mouse pointer at some point ends up over the map due to the page being scrolled, as long as you don't move the mouse pointer.

does that make sense? :ph34r:

Edited by dfx

firefox (at least under linux) has an elegant solution for this: the "scrolling focus" is changed only when the mouse pointer is moved. which means that if you start scrolling the page, you will continue to scroll the page even if the mouse pointer at some point ends up over the map due to the page being scrolled, as long as you don't move the mouse pointer.

Makes sense, but apparently is just for Linux, 'cause I'm using Firefox here.

Actually, the same thing happens in windows. The only problem is once the map gets focus it won't give it up afterward even if you click somewhere else.