Geowoodstock coming to Warren, PA?

Miss-Keeto

Congrats to those in the Mid Atlantic for the privilege of hosting this event.

As someone who has never been to the area (OK, I've been to Ohio and Lake Erie) it would be beneficial for me (and others) to know what airlines and airports are closest to the event.

Lodging locations would be cool.

List of events associated with the event will be appreciated. This year there were a few that I never knew about. There were people walking around with a scavenger hunt sheet and others that were finding little stashes all around the event that they had coords to. I decided to drop easter eggs (Actually just my sig tokens) all around to be found but that wasn't an official addition to the activities.

To get a "Woodstock" feel it would be really cool if there were tent camping areas nearby but I realize this may not be possible these days.

A map of the area, provided by the GWIX crew would be really cool. Also a map with the layout of the event (booths, food, music, etc) would be appreciated.

Also, if there were emails sent to all the cache owners within a 5 mile radius to check or disable their caches, then that might save a headache or two (I don't know that this was not done). And finally if there were more public reminders before the event, and leading up to the registration including what you won't be allowed to do without a registration, that would be nice.

Just a few ideas. My 2 cents.

<snip>

As someone who has never been to the area (OK, I've been to Ohio and Lake Erie) it would be beneficial for me (and others) to know what airlines and airports are closest to the event.

<snip>

I'll certainly let the planning crew supply the best info, but as a starter here's some tips on flying to the area.

- The closest major airport is Erie International (ERI) at about 1 hr 15 mins to the event. However it is only served by Delta, Continental, and USAirways.

- Buffalo Niagara International (BUF) is next closest and, on the average, the cheapest to fly in and out of. It's about 2 hours away and is served by Southwest, USAirways, Delta, Continental, American, United, Northwest, Airtran, and JetBlue. Plus Niagara Falls is only a short drive away if you've never seen it before. (OK, I'm shamelessly plugging my hometown area.)

- Cleveland Hopkins International (CLE) is the third option and is the largest of the three, but is 2 hrs 45 mins away. It is a hub for Continental and also has American, Air Canada Jazz, Delta, Midwest, Northwest, United, USAirways, and USA3000.

- Pittsburgh International is also about 2 hrs 45 mins away.

Hope that's a little help to get you started.

There are plenty of campgrounds nearby in the Allegheny National Forest. I bet the organizers will be hard at work on camping options, as the hotel options are going to be more distant (Erie).

I proposed marriage at a National Forest campground not too far distant from the event site. I like the National Forest a whole lot more than the ex-wife. I will return to one but not the other.

somewhere, I remember reading a post about what campsites were suggested for the event, but can't find the post anymoe...anyone know where camping is suggested?

ILYK

This campground came highly recommended by one of my husband's patients: Red Oak Campground

We have not camped there, so I cannot give a recommendation for it personally. I do know that at least one of the volunteers (from Mass.) for the event will be camping there.

What is Geowoodstock?

Forgive my ignorance. :)

Visit the following website to learn all about it:

http://www.geowoodstock.com/gws9/index.html

What is GeoWoodstock ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GeoWoodstock is the world's largest gathering of geocachers. Combining a meet and greet opportunity for players from around the world with a series of classes and workshops, appearances by legends of the Geocaching community and the single largest assembly of Geocaching vendors, GeoWoodstock has grown from a small meeting into the annual international convention for the game of Geocaching.

This year GeoWoodstock is being held in Northwest Pennsylvania, just five miles from the western boundary of the Allegheny National Forest which offers 512,998 acres of recreational opportunities, wildlife sightings, and scenic beauty. This predominately hardwood national forest is known for growing the best Black Cherry timber in the world. The Allegheny National Forest lies in the heart of Pennsylvania's oil and gas region, only 40 miles from the site of the first oil well in the world. Within the forest is the Allegheny Reservoir, Kinzua Dam, and the Allegheny River, a designated Recreational River under the Wild & Scenic Rivers Act.

The Allegheny National Forest is just a portion of The Pennsylvania Wilds Region which has over two million acres of public land for your enjoyment. This region includes great natural beauty, charming towns filled with history, and the biggest wild elk herd in the Northeast. In the PA Wilds, you will find hundreds of miles of backpacking trails, bike paths, picturesque streams, and the darkest skies in the east at Cherry Springs State Park. Nestled among the forests, valleys, and countryside of the Pennsylvania Wilds you will find more to do than you could fit into a lifetime.

There are plenty of existing caches to satisfy everyone traveling to and from the GeoWoodstock area. Towns in the area offer a variety of urban caching while the Allegheny National Forest, nearby state parks, and numerous Pennsylvania State Game Lands offer challenging terrain and scenic hikes for outdoor enthusiasts. A search on geocaching.com using the 16371 zip code yields a list of over eight thousand caches within the 100-mile search zone, with about 670 active caches within 25 miles of the venue.

The oil and lumber heritage of this region, our many beautiful streams and lakes, our communities- both large and small, and the scenic beauty of our forests offer a great diversity of caches to please all types of cachers. Come play in our woods, you won't regret it!

With all due respect to the nice folks from the Warren area, but why would 'that' location be picked over the many possible locations in the rest of the country ? It's pretty far from airports and big cities. Has to be pretty expensive to get to unless you go US Air to Pittsburgh and do a whole lot of driving.

How are the yearly sites picked ? Just curious....

(disclaimer - grew up near Valley Forge and I'm an Eagles/Phils fan, so you know how THAT goes vs. western PA :-)

With all due respect to the nice folks from the Warren area, but why would 'that' location be picked over the many possible locations in the rest of the country ? It's pretty far from airports and big cities. Has to be pretty expensive to get to unless you go US Air to Pittsburgh and do a whole lot of driving.

(disclaimer - grew up near Valley Forge and I'm an Eagles/Phils fan, so you know how THAT goes vs. western PA :-)

There's a selection committee, and you have to submit a bid. You need to have a big-time well-organized volunteer staff, and have to demonstrate such to the committee.

Why God-forsaken Warren, Pa. of all places? This is just my opinion, but I think others will agree. The early GeoWoodstock events carried the tagline "where it's all about the numbers". If you don't believe me, look at this 6 year old article promoting the then upcoming 2005 GeoWoodstock

Erie, Pa. has always been a haven for "the numbers crowd", and has been since 2002 or 2003. They put in bids early and often for the older GeoWoodstock's based on their cache density. I imagine they just kept bidding over the years, and finally got the prize.

The focus, fortunately, has shifted away from the numbers and "world record runs". I believe the tagline these days is "Where it's all about the number of friends you'll meet" or something like that. I do agree though, Warren, Pa. is not an easy (or inexpensive) place to get to via commercial air.

I'm not trying to pick on you, considering I now live in your area, but why does everyone I've met in Eastern PA whine non-stop about driving to western or central PA? People will not hesitate to spend 3 hours in traffic waiting to go to the Shore on a summer weekend, but pop them in a car and drive to the Grand Canyon of PA and you've sparked the longest whinefest in the history of mankind.

ANYWAY.

Speaking as someone who lived in the western PA area up until the age of 24, the scenery in and around Warren and the surrounding area is beautiful. Many geocachers are interested in seeing natural beauty. This area has it. It's also very serene and is a prime camping destination for many coming in from urban / suburban areas in PA (you know, the ones whining about the driving).

The unfortunate thing about many beautiful, remote, and serene areas in the country is that they are tucked away from the hustle and bustle and probably do require some driving and travel time. They are not always located next to major airports.

If you're traveling via air - Erie (ERI) does run a lot of connections out of Pittsburgh and Detroit. Warren is most easily reached from Erie via Route 6 OR Route 86 in New York (then south). It's a relaxing drive - I've made it a number of times as I went to college in Erie and enjoyed hiking around Warren and Bradford. Any route you take will take about 1.5 hours travel time via car. Buffalo would be the next best option - your drive would be a little longer, though - about 2 hrs, 15 min.

If you're used to city traffic, prepare to have your mind blown by the complete and utter lack of it along Route 6 in Warren. It's a great area. Now if only I could get my SEPA friends to make the "dreaded" drive west to actually go to this...

NW Pa (Including the Warren Area) offers quite a bit of variety in different caches. Erie Pa also is not "Just a numbers" place for cachers to seek out quick micros either. There are MANY decent small & regular size caches in the Erie area too. As for Geowoodstock coming to Warren Pa, Hey I am happy that NW Pa is represented this time.

There's a selection committee, and you have to submit a bid. You need to have a big-time well-organized volunteer staff, and have to demonstrate such to the committee.

Why God-forsaken Warren, Pa. of all places? This is just my opinion, but I think others will agree. The early GeoWoodstock events carried the tagline "where it's all about the numbers". If you don't believe me, look at this 6 year old article promoting the then upcoming 2005 GeoWoodstock

Erie, Pa. has always been a haven for "the numbers crowd", and has been since 2002 or 2003. They put in bids early and often for the older GeoWoodstock's based on their cache density. I imagine they just kept bidding over the years, and finally got the prize.

The focus, fortunately, has shifted away from the numbers and "world record runs". I believe the tagline these days is "Where it's all about the number of friends you'll meet" or something like that. I do agree though, Warren, Pa. is not an easy (or inexpensive) place to get to via commercial air.