Get the right marker!

geospotter

Went to visit a benchmark near me. Found four within 10 feet of each other. Took pictures of all of them and logged the one I was looking for.

Went to visit another and after half an hour of looking I found it. Took the photo and headed back down the mountain. I was adjusting the photo for uploading when I noticed that the marker I found was placed by the local public works dept. It was not the one I was looking for (or was it).

If Jeremy is considering sending these recoveries to the proper authorities, we have to make sure we are reporting the correct disks.

Could some of the extra disks have been reference marks and azimuth marks? These are placed near the main station mark to help find it, or reset it if it gets destroyed. The text should describe all of these auxiliary disks, where they are in relation to the station, and their last known condition.

I'm not clear on the difference between a reference mark and an azimuth mark, maybe someone else can explain that.

Not sure, but I know some times you will have a STATION marker, and REFERENCE markers nearby. Each of these will have a seperate PID #, so each can be veiwed as a seperate marker. I suppose the STATION markers have a higher level of accuracy, or perhaps a longer historical value. I have found one set where the station marker was gone, and also one of the reference markers as well, but the last reference marker remain but in a damaged state. When you do a search, just watch for indications if they are station or reference.

2573_200.jpg

The other day my son and I were out looking for one which was supposed to be flush with the blacktop. We were looking at a telephone pole which was supposed to have a spike in it for reference and we found a disc in the pole. It seemed to be made of tin or aluminum. We ended up finding the real station about 10 minutes later, flush with the blacktop just as described, but covered with dirt so you couldnt see it.