Your opinion: Has this one been moved?

CYBret

I'm looking for opinions from people who have read more datasheets than I have.

This is a bechmark I found yesterday: KB0144. Check out the datasheet and the picture I took from the south. In your opinion, has this benchmark been unearthed, moved, or has it always been like this?

Thanks.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Its been disturbed. Only the top squared portion would normally be above the level of the ground. Looks like its been uprooted from it setting.

Is it just sitting on top of the ground as it would seem in the photo?

Its an horizontal mark, an Azimuth and its precise location is important, that no longer is the case.

I would call it a destroyed mark. Send your images to NGS and they will log it as destroyed.

quote:
Note: For destroyed marks do one of the following:

1) If you have found the actual marker separated from its setting, you can report the point as destroyed. To do so please send the report on the destroyed mark as an email to Deb Brown (Deb.Brown@noaa.gov). If you send this email, please do not submit the current form, Deb Brown will submit the report for you. In addition, please submit proof of the mark's destruction via actual disk, rubbing, photo, or digital picture (preferred) to Deb Brown:

Deb Brown, N/NGS143

National Geodetic Survey, NOAA

1315 East West Highway

Silver Spring, MD 20910

Mike

Survey Tech (Retired)

quote:
Originally posted by elcamino:

_Is it just sitting on top of the ground as it would seem in the photo?_

Yep, sitting on top of the ground. You can see from the sides (and from the datasheet) that it was buried at one time.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Its destroyed and should be reported to Deb Brown so she can note this. I have seen people plant these back into the ground and think everything is AOK. Several years back I found a BM broken and laying on top of the ground. All I had was the suburban with me so I left it be. Came back in a few weeks with a truck and another person to get it and it was planted in the ground. I walked up to it and put my foot against it and it mover. We checked the reference's and it was nowhere close to the right location. We were able to lift it out of the ground with ease, it was about 2 ft long and broken apart. I suspected the adjacent property owner must have hit it plowing snow (was a Dodge truck with plow parked nearby) and when he seen me looking at it, decided to put in back in.

Mike

Survey Tech (Retired)

Hi,

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I'd log it as poor/needs maintenance with details of what's wrong in the log entry. As long as the brass disk is there, then I believe the NGS would not call it destroyed _unless_ it can be established that it had been removed from its original location.

I've read CGS and NGS log entries about disturbed marks including leaning, but those were not noted as destroyed.

Let NGS make the call on whether it's destroyed but certainly log it as needing maintenance.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Read what person who found it has to say.

quote:
Yep, sitting on top of the ground. You can see from the sides (and from the data) that it was buried at one time.

Its no good anymore and considered destroyed. Jut because the concrete post is intact and the disk it still there does not make this one any good. There is not way to reset this mark and if its not reported, someone might think that by replacing in back in the ground, everything will be made right again. This one is a goner.

Mike

Survey Tech (Retired)