Tree blazes

WaldenRun

Folks,

I have this from a mark description:

===========

47 FEET W OF A 6-INCH BLAZED PINE TREE, 56 FEET N OF AN 8-INCH BLAZED PINE TREE AND 68 FEET SE OF A 6-INCH BLAZED PINE TREE.

===========

Is anyone familiar with a standard method used by surveyors to 'blaze' a tree? The blazes are sixty+ years old and I am wondering if it is worth looking for them.

I do see the old "What's a blaze!" thread and it had some tidbits. Any further information?

Thanks,

WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

[This message was edited by WaldenRun on October 05, 2002 at 03:50 PM.]

Some of the trees from the 1909 Survey still exist here in Mo. at the base of the tree a flat blaze was cut and then the # of the Township section and range were marked they are sealed by scar tissue of the tree the only times that you recover these is when a corner is found and in dispute of its true location. the trees from that point were hacked with usually 2 notches facing the line, all Public lands are to be marked this way according to law.Where the timbers were removed it makes it harder to follow these lines,and some were destroyed, on purpose,and new monuments set.where four corners came together the tree was blazed on all four sides, I have found very few of these but they do exist, I am currently working on The Historic trees in our area. www.historictrees.org

Tetrahedron in a sphere=GEOID=Perfect Pyramid. On all Planets there is a Geometric disturbance at 19.5 degrees!!!