GPX files on Garmin Colorado 400t

I'm fairly new to geocacheing and have been using a Garmin Colorado 400t unit, which I like very much. I see that the unit has a sub-folder to the Garmin folder titled GPX, which appears to contain all the .gpx files (caches) that I have downloaded to the unit. Is there a need to retain these files on the unit after I have found and logged them on geocaching.com. I do notice they show up as found sites on the units map and presume they would disappear once I have deleted their .gpx file?

Yes you will need to delete them, especially since the colorado can only handle ~200 individual gpx files. Since you are a premium member you should be using PQ's and then you only need a couple gpx files on there.

Thanks for the info. Did not realize the limit, so I will be deleting them. Now I need to study the benefits and procedures to do Pocket Query's.

Pocket queries are the way to go. Since each query can hold a maximum of 1000 caches, I have to define several of them in the area where I live. I divide them up by years, so I have one for 1995-2006, one for 2007-2008, etc. I run them every month or so to update the logs and status of the caches, and I download them to my GPSr. I also download the My Finds query so I have all the caches I've ever found. They're pretty easy to use once you get used to them.

Pocket queries are the way to go. Since each query can hold a maximum of 1000 caches, I have to define several of them in the area where I live. I divide them up by years, so I have one for 1995-2006, one for 2007-2008, etc. I run them every month or so to update the logs and status of the caches, and I download them to my GPSr. I also download the My Finds query so I have all the caches I've ever found. They're pretty easy to use once you get used to them.

Or use something like GSAK where you can load 2,000 caches into one GPX file. :lol:

I have a Dakota 10 and a GPSMAP 60csx. You have to load one GC to the unit by pressing the GPS button, one at a time. I tried downloading GSAK with no success in getting it to work correctly. I was going to use Pocket Query but it does not work on emails that are at yahoo.com. Suggestions?

I have a Dakota 10 and a GPSMAP 60csx. You have to load one GC to the unit by pressing the GPS button, one at a time. I tried downloading GSAK with no success in getting it to work correctly. I was going to use Pocket Query but it does not work on emails that are at yahoo.com. Suggestions?

Sure you can. Run a pq, open it with EasyGPS and then send to your unit. It's free and very user friendly.

Sure you can. Run a pq, open it with EasyGPS and then send to your unit. It's free and very user friendly.

No need for easygps either. Just unzip your PQ and transfer the gpx to the garmin/gpx/ folder.