Collectible preference?

hikeatrail

Reading that thread suggests the default status would be "non-collectible", not "unknown". My trackables are all now saying "the owner hasn't set their collectible preference". A completely meaningless statement, even to a geocacher!

I see the point of having a personal collection of trackables in the My Collection feature. If I own a trackable I can choose to let it travel (by placing it into a cache) or not (by placing it in My Collection). What's the point of Collectible vs Non-Collectible as well????

Reading that thread suggests the default status would be "non-collectible", not "unknown". My trackables are all now saying "the owner hasn't set their collectible preference". A completely meaningless statement, even to a geocacher!

I agree ... "The owner has not set a collectible preference" only confuses newbie TB/GC finders even more. They seem to have a hard enough time at logging their first trackable, even without this latest addition.

GC.com, if you want to keep things this way, then please at least give us an option to mark all our collectibles as non-collectable in one single bulk operation. I don't fee like clicking through all my trackables individually.

-wesi

Just noticed this on my trackables' pages: "The owner hasn't set their collectible preference." Not familiar with this. What does it mean and how do we set our preferences?

I noticed the same thing and was wondering that too

I read this thread and the one that's linked above, and still have no idea what "The owner hasn't set their collectible preference" means. :laughing:

I found that statement on the page for one of my TBs, which is why I came searching for an answer. LOL, still don't know why it's on my TB pages.

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but from the knowledge books page it sounds like "not collectible" or "collections preference not set" means treat it like a TB is supposed to be and move it from cache to cache and if set to "collectible" you just changed your TB into "SWAG". :laughing:

"collectible" is for those trackables that are your personal ones, they never go to caches, you drop them in events

i have a whole lot of coins that i will never release but i have them activated and take them to events for discovery

the main advantage of the "collectible" feature is that you don't have a huge list in your inventory anymore, just the ones that you pick up at caches and will drop off

If you plan on releasing it into the wild set them as Not a Collectible. If you plan on keeping them for yourself mark it as collectible. That will set a limitation that other people can only Discover it or post a Note. No Grabbing away.

If you want to log your coin/bug through caches/events you'll need to keep them in your Drop inventory. If you want them out of your Drop inventory, click the below link to move them into your Profile collection.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/inventory.aspx

People can still Discover them but if you want to log them through caches you'll have to move them back out.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/collection.aspx

If you plan on releasing it into the wild set them as Not a Collectible. If you plan on keeping them for yourself mark it as collectible. That will set a limitation that other people can only Discover it or post a Note. No Grabbing away.

If you want to log your coin/bug through caches/events you'll need to keep them in your Drop inventory. If you want them out of your Drop inventory, click the below link to move them into your Profile collection.

People can still Discover them but if you want to log them through caches you'll have to move them back out.

Thank you for the clarification and links !

I am wondering if I did this right.... I activated my first travel bug (Klaatu) in Prairie Lakes Crossing cache last week. Marked as not collectable. Left log note saying it had been placed there. It shows up in the cache listing. Since that time the cache has been found and logged by several local cachers but no one mentioned the travel bug or logged it in any way (discovered or taken out of cache, etc).

Edited by a2nren2e

I realise this tag it is very useful to those who collect trackables and want to have them logged as discovered at events.

However maybe some (possibly new) cachers may assume that they can 'collect' and keep a trackable they find when the first thing they read in the description that the owner has not expressed a preference as to whether it is collectable or not.

Matthew_h