Logging Benchmarks

gisman

Every mark I find is still as thrilling as the first. Most that I find are earned as in my region there are NO witness posts. Some are buried under brush and the snow as of late doesn't help either.

Today, I found 2 that were logged, in the 50's by the NGS as "mark not found"....this was like finding my first. Each "Hunt" is different! Some are by car, some are on foot, some on ATV, some are found by accident.

After a photo Op with the mark, I try to return the mark as found. In other words, if it was covered with 6" of dirt and brush, well the 6" goes back over it. Makes for the next benchmarker the same quest as I had. Just as the description says it was there at an earlier date. Even my pics that I take, I try to prevent "spoilers". 99% of the time, I end up being first finder in 20-30 years! What a rush!......OK, OK! Back to reality!

Benchmarking is my bag and when time permits, I'll do a cache or two.

Garminator

"I seen Elvis making crop circles"......................Are the Soprano's on yet?

I agree...at least regarding the cache/benchmark thing. I really don't see much fun in finding caches. They don't have any real "history" to them. But, when you take in a benchmark that has been placed for some 75-100 years and is still at the exact place ( kinda', I'm in California and we have Earthquakes that move us around alot ) when it was first monumented, WOW! Especially if it is up in some remote place. Double WOW! icon_razz.gif

Funny that you mention these famous people, Surveytech. Today I did a cache and while wanderin' aimlessly in State Park(never did find the cache), I came upon what looked like a miniature 2 oz. Coke bottle......so I picked it up and there was an embossed inscription on it....it read, I kept it for a momento (Cache in, trash out!) 'cause it was an interesting find even though I never heard of battery oil????

"I seen Elvis making crop circles"......................Are the Soprano's on yet?

Bumble(It bounces!),

Thanks for the link....That's the one on the left. Pretty interesting reading. It all makes sense since I found it along an abandoned railroad bed. This railroad was used as a passenger railway. I'm nearly fifty and never remember any trains running on this line. I would guess that this railway went bankrupt in the 30's.

May not be worth anything, but has a pretty interesting story since I'm an electrician by trade.

Thanks again,

Garminator

Me and My Dad have been collecting antiques for 30 years for me and 60 years for Dad,before we had the GPSr Dad taught me how to read and find the old maps retained in each county courthouse,through out the Country we have found lots of Historical pieces,Most being from the Rairoads of the 1800's these were built by the Migrants,which had their own seperate camp about every 20 miles along the Railway Line beeing built then,they also had a dup site,they did'nt trash out they just burried it. there are still numerous treasures of many kinds,80% of the things buried are still buried.I find something new everytime I go out. Happy icon_eek.gifGEOTREASURING icon_eek.gif

A Point in the right direction,ASCENSION.

quote:
Originally posted by texcaver:

This is another question which can share the same

title... what must one do to log a benchmark which is a Prominant building feature, such as a water tank on a building. Do you only have to see it, after knowing it is a benchmark? for example:

DP0676.

The preferred method is to post a photo of the object with your log. If posting a photo is not possible, you can still log without one. Try to at least include a detailed description with your log.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

If there's a good photo up already, I often will defer on this. I usually upload a photo only if I'm first or I think my photo adds to what's already up there. As benchmark hunting is a young sport for us at this time, most finds are first finds.

I've taken the perspective (so far) that there wasn't much point in taking up the storage space with redundant photo postings. But as I'm posting this, I'm wondering if others here might view it as a means of verifying that one was actually there. What say the community?

Don't get even - get odd

quote:
This is another question which can share the same

title... what must one do to log a benchmark which

is a Prominant building feature, such as a water tank on a building. Do you only have to see it,

after knowing it is a benchmark? for example:

DP0676.

OK, I have a related question. I do not yet have a camera so will have to describe rather than photo. I found two "benchmarks". One was a water tower and the other was a radio tower. In neither case could I get within 100 yards of the actual marker because of private property/fences. While I saw the structures, I have no way of knowing if the marker is actually in place. Do I still log them as finds?

Good Hunting! -- Graveseeker

Usually in those situations the water/radio tower, spire, what have you *is* the benchmark. If you see it from 500 feet or 5 feet, you found it and verified that it's there.

Sometimes there may be a disk or other type in the immediate vicinity of the tower. In that case the tower is part of the description to locate the actual benchmark, but is not the benchmark itself. An example is the current Hurricane Damage posting, where the benchmark was a disk at the base of a radio tower which blew down. Even though the tower is no longer standing, the disk is still there but it's fenced off...making it difficult to verify, I would imagine.

Don't get even - get odd

OK folks, I guess I'm just not with it yet. I got benchmarks comeing out of my ears but I can't find the page to log them on. I went to the Main Page, then to Check Out The New Section, and it sure looks like the "Benchmark Page" but in the upper right corner all I see is "you are logged in" and the "To search for local Benchmarks" box. I even shut down the menu bar in case the "Log Benchmarks" button was under it. How about a hint as to how to find this elusive page.

Monkey Pod, you have to either enter the PID of the benchmark or the coordinates on the main benchmark page in order to bring-up the page of the actual benchmark. If you enter the PID of the benchmark, the actual benchmark page will be displayed. If you enter the coordinates, all the benchmarks around yours will be displayed and if your coordinates are fairly exact, the benchmark you are attempting to log will be at the top of the list icon_smile.gif Have fun!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

Monkey Pod, let me add a little more information to Jeff's pointers. It sounds like you have found benchmarks before you viewed the data sheets, so you probably have the designation (e.g., the letters and numbers engraved in a disk) but not the PID. In a sense, you're coming at it backwards from how we *usually* go about it--but it happens.

You could do two things--generate a list clustered around a location as Jeff described, using coords or a zip code. You can view the designation and see what matches you can find, and go from there. You may want to download a bunch of BM waypoints and view them on a map to see if that helps you make matches.

Another resource is the NGS data sheetspage. The geocaching.com BM database is drawn from here, but the NGS site will be more complete. Here you can search by Station Name (designation). Once you get a hit, you can get the PID and find a handle on the database here.

A useful feature I like once I am on the geocaching.com BM page is to get a list of nearby BMs. This should help you generate a relevant list.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt