True cost to go geocacheing

Paperless.. To date..£100 on a second hand 5800 £12 or thereabouts on Geocachenavigator (that got me into it!) £170 on a GPSmap C60x £10 on a bike mount ( I dont have a car, so its cycling all the way for me) oh, bike.. £300 PC £1000 plus, you can never have enough ram or a high end graphics card, so the PC is ongoing :( internet subscription £30 pm but that includes a phone line too. Maps were free from talkytoaster.

Not counting the cost of the PC cos I'd have one anyway, and the bike too, and without the internet I suppose I'd get all the info off the library...

a shade off £300. Money well spent I'd say.

Less than I paid for my Kites and my Kayaks... and a fraction of what I had spent on climbing equipment

- Cost of the GPSr + whatever maps it needs.

- $30/year for a Premium Membership

That's about it :)

Actually, scratch the "cost of the GPSr" as a Geocaching expense..

I initially did buy it for Geocaching but since having it I've found bunches of other things it is useful for, so it isn't fair to label the GPSr as a "geocaching expense"

So my honest "cost of Geocaching" is just $30/yr, plus I guess a few bucks for gas :(

Edited by NordicMan

BATTERIES. Even rechargeable batteries are non-zero cost, and I know lots of (foolish) people who buy single-use.

One company, stung by complaints about poor battery life, started shipping their latest model with Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries and recommending their use. Anyone who folllows that advice will be adding several dollars a week to their GPS habit...

230$ for a PN-40(completely paperless)

Nothing for Topo Maps because they come with it

Eventually 30$/year for imagery maps from delorme map library

30$/year for a premium membership

20$ for 8 NIMH rechargable batteries(I figure so far these have paid for themselves)

16$ for a delorme carrying case

Gas(never really kept track of that)

Enjoyment of getting outdoors with my family:

Priceless

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

BATTERIES. Even rechargeable batteries are non-zero cost, and I know lots of (foolish) people who buy single-use.

One company, stung by complaints about poor battery life, started shipping their latest model with Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries and recommending their use. Anyone who folllows that advice will be adding several dollars a week to their GPS habit...

You use the Sanyo Eneloop and the charger that came with it? If so you are saying it is a good setup and you do not have to buy a more expensive charger? What was the battery life with them and the PN-40

Thanks

...Sanyo Eneloop and the charger that came with it? ... What was the battery life with them and the PN-40
I get between 5-7 hours with the Eneloops in real use. I've gotten between 9-10 hours in "windowsill testing" but I don't travel or geocache along the window sill.

Don't know if you'd consider that "good" but I've mostly given up whinging about battery life. I just carry enough spares.

...Sanyo Eneloop and the charger that came with it? ... What was the battery life with them and the PN-40
I get between 5-7 hours with the Eneloops in real use. I've gotten between 9-10 hours in "windowsill testing" but I don't travel or geocache along the window sill.

Don't know if you'd consider that "good" but I've mostly given up whinging about battery life. I just carry enough spares.

Thanks I just wanted to know if the charger was good and I assume it is. It is a lot cheaper to buy that than a La Crosse if it does a good job.

Okay, why did I have to read this post. I never thought of adding up how much I have spent to go geocaching. Free? Yeah right! I better not show this to my wife. :mad:

Etrex Legend----------Accidently sold by wife at garage sale----$35.00

Etrex Legend HCx----Stolen from my Jeep-----------------------$139.00

Garmin Oregon 200--Sitting in a drawer--------------------------$240.00

Nuvi (model?)---------Wife didn't like it, gave to her brother----$219.00

Garmin Dakota 10----Wife lost it-----------------------------------$199.00

Garmin Oregon 300---Lost for two months, recently found------$249.00

Garmin Oregon 450---Replacement for Oregon 300-------------$299.00

City Navigator NT-----------------------------------------------------$80.00

Topo 2008-------------------------------------------------------------$89.00

Premium membership purchased (3)-------------------------------$90.00

------------------------------------------------------------Total------$1639.00*

*I don't even want to start adding up the amount of gas I have used to go geocaching. Ouch!

Edited by jeepdelfuego
...just wanted to know if the (Sanyo USB) charger was good ... a lot cheaper to buy that than a La Crosse if it does a good job.
If there's any downside to the USB charger, it's that it only holds two cells at a time and does take a long time to charge. Edited by lee_rimar

Garmin Quest (2006) -------------- ~$200 (Christmas present)

Garmin Oregon 450 (2010) --------- $291 delivered

Zagg for Oregon --------------------- $14

Rechargeable batteries/charger ---- $60

Premium Membership to gc.com --- $120 (caching since 12/29/06)

GSAK --------------------------------- $25

CacheBerry on Blackberry --------- $10

CacheMate for Palm ---------------- $8

Backpacks and daypacks ---------- ~$50

Gas / car ---------------------------- unknown, but I don't count that because I have to drive a car anyway.

Time hiking, exploring, spending with family, and seeing parts of the world I never would have done were it not for geocaching --- priceless! like others have said...

I have $200 spent on a Garmin GPSmap60CSx. $20 on AAA batteries. $20 a weekend for gas. The fun of finding one that you couldn't find before: PRICELESS :mad:

I didn't think the 60csx was a true paperless unit.

Hud

I didn't know the 60CSx used triple AAA batteries.. :(

Get into "serious" photography as a hobby (DSLRs, Canon L-series lenses, etc.) and it'll make Geocaching look free.

Yes, the price of my wifes Nikon D3 or whatever it is, lenses, studio stuff, ridiculously expensive Epson Printer, software, ink cartridges, paper, computer, backups etc etc compared to the cost of my Garmin 400 (not originally bought for geocaching anyway, 2 years membership and a few train tickets), makes my hobby certainly seem free.

GAS/Vehicle - by far and away the biggest expense. Nothing even comes close - unless you live in a large urban area where you can get to a zillion caches by foot/bike. But where I live the distance between cache guarantees I will rack up the mileage. With the vehicle expenses so far, I could have bought my caching equipment, YOUR equipment and YOUR buddy's equipment many times over.

I am a "casual geocacher." I love the hunt and the finds but I generally just look for caches as an aside to other travels. I use my Droid and geobeagle so my costs are basically free (I do have an old Garmin handheld which is rarely used anymore) Priceless!