Spoilers

You can't remove just the gallery pics, you have to delete the whole log with the pics attached. As you're the cache owner you can do this and the finder will receive an email notifying them that their log has been deleted. It's good practice to email the cacher concerned to explain why you've done the deletion and ask them to re-log their find without the spoiler pics.

MrsB :(

You can't remove just the gallery pics, you have to delete the whole log with the pics attached. As you're the cache owner you can do this and the finder will receive an email notifying them that their log has been deleted. It's good practice to email the cacher concerned to explain why you've done the deletion and ask them to re-log their find without the spoiler pics.

Are you sure that deleting the log will also delete the pictures, Mrs B?

I believe it will as the photos are attached to the logs. But go ahead and delete the log I just posted to your cache and let's see what happens.

I believe it will as the photos are attached to the logs. But go ahead and delete the log I just posted to your cache and let's see what happens.

Interesting...

I looked at your log and saw the picture. I deleted the log and no... I can't see the picture. But I also don't have a link to the cache page's gallery like I used to, even though the cache page itself has a picture on it (come to think of it, though... that picture may be from a different cache's log).

In any case, yes... it appears that deleting the log effectively removes the picture from the cache page, and that's all that's really important here. Thanks for doing that test, GOF.

Interesting...

I looked at your log and saw the picture. I deleted the log and no... I can't see the picture. But I also don't have a link to the cache page's gallery like I used to, even though the cache page itself has a picture on it (come to think of it, though... that picture may be from a different cache's log).

In any case, yes... it appears that deleting the log effectively removes the picture from the cache page, and that's all that's really important here. Thanks for doing that test, GOF.

It just seemed like the easiest way to answer the question in a definitive manner.

I did precisely that on Friday night. I happened to be at the computer when the found log e-mail came in with the indication that they were going to put up a potential spoiler picture. As it's a 4/1 and a very popular cache, I was alarmed and immediately fired off an e-mail asking them not to post the picture.

Went on to the page and it was already up, so e-mailed them again to ask them to remove it (knowing they were still online). 20-30 mins later it was still there (there are 4 people watching the page), so having tried and failed just to delete the picture only, ended up deleting the whole log, and sent them a further e-mail inviting them to resubmit the log itself, saying I believed that they'd found it, not least because they've replaced it so it's obvious to all and sundry where it is! :mad: I feel bad for deleting my first log, but annoyed that they're happy to flout the instructions and would spoil the fun for others.

I've heard nothing further from the cacher, but note that they are from Germany. It may not be the same, but I was recently caching in Switzerland and a lot of the caches contain spoiler pictures, so perhaps it's equally common in Germany. It's not so common here in Scotland, and I noticed that they'd put another spoiler for an Edinburgh cache which I don't imagine that owner is so happy about either.

So if you want to put a spoiler, please just give thought to whether it would really benefit the cache or whether it will spoil all the fun for others.

:(

[...] It may not be the same, but I was recently caching in Switzerland and a lot of the caches contain spoiler pictures, so perhaps it's equally common in Germany. [...]
No, not really. We don't like spoilers very much here in Germany, too. :mad:

Mezgrman

[...] It may not be the same, but I was recently caching in Switzerland and a lot of the caches contain spoiler pictures, so perhaps it's equally common in Germany. [...]
No, not really. We don't like spoilers very much here in Germany, too. :mad:

Mezgrman

Thanks for clarifying. So it was the particular cacher then.

:(

i like posting pics of cache containers. i hope that isn't considered a spoiler. i assume the CO's will email me if they want any pics removed. It seems to me there's a fine line when posting pics! And various CO's may feel differently about what pics are posted. Thanks for this thread.

i'd rather an email asking me to remove pic rather than a CO just deleting my log.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

How can I remove gallery pics from one of my cache pages? A recent finder has all but ruined the challenge of the find! :blink:

I contact the finder first to ask them nicely to remove the spoiler pictures. It seems to me to be the kinder way to educate. So far, that has worked, and there have been no hurt feelings.

I am generally an anything goes kind of geocacher except when spoilers are posted. Instant delete with an email following (in a polite manner of course).