Geocache Danger Zones

Just did a quick search and seems to me there are more caches in Afghanistan than there are in Mexico. I KNEW there's a reason I will never travel to Mexico again! Geocachers know where the danger areas are. :(
Well, I guess you'd just better get down there and place some, huh?

Just did a quick search and seems to me there are more caches in Afghanistan than there are in Mexico. I KNEW there's a reason I will never travel to Mexico again! Geocachers know where the danger areas are. :(

Why dont you go and take a hike somewhere.

[/quote

I did. I will. But not "down south"! :)

Its not even safe between here and Mexico. Dangerous place to cache and that is not the only place around here, there are several more places that you just don't go there.

I agree. On a side note, how can we support and encourage our boys over there? Encouraging notes/messages? Take up a collection and buy them the latest and best GPS'r? I'm sure Geocaching is a welcome diversion for the ones that partake in our fun hobby!

I think you`re making too broad of a generalization about how dangerous Mexico is. Parts of it are very dangerous, yes, but parts of it are as safe as anywhere in the US. The economy of the whole country is going to be in serious trouble if people stop going to the nice, safe beach resorts because of scary things happening elsewhere in the country. A better explanation for the relatively low number of caches in Mexico is the language barrier and economic differences. Gc.com is in English while most of the locals speak Spanish, and a smaller percentage of the Mexican population has enough spare cash to by a fancy GPS unit.

Meanwhile, there are more caches in Afghanistan because of the military presence there. Military men and women have the best GPS technology readily available to them. Wherever there are lots of soldiers/marines/sailors/ airpeople , there are bound to be tons of caches nearby.

I think you`re making too broad of a generalization about how dangerous Mexico is. Parts of it are very dangerous, yes, but parts of it are as safe as anywhere in the US.

Not according to the latest travel warning from the US Department of State.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html

...in the northern Mexico border cities of Tijuana, Nogales, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey and Matamoros

...Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year. This includes tens of thousands who cross the border every day for study, tourism or business and at least one million U.S. citizens who live in Mexico.

...Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where criminal activity might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable.

...More than half of all Americans killed in Mexico in FY 2009 whose deaths were reported to the U.S. Embassy were killed in the border cities of Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana.

and on another note: Seven Shootings in Seven Hours in Minneapolis

The safest places to cache are those that are off the beaten track ... like in the woods... in nature... crazy places like that.

Downtown. ANY downtown after a certain time and during certain days/times of the week are dangerous because you run into people that are in desperate and/or different states of mind drunk/drugged/crazy.

Generally, these folks are unlikely to do the 4 hour hike to a remote lake or hill or natural place of beauty.

of course - there was that movie "Deliverance"....

While I am no expert on Mexico, it's culture or language, but i have to chime in and say that as an American I have cached in Mexico, and I am so happy that I did. Yes I was in a tourist town far from the border, but without trying to cache there I would never have found my new favorite bar! Not to mention all of the other great adventures I had because I was trying to find a cache. I cached in the playa del carmen/cozumel area, which I had been to several times before, but all before I was a cacher and it was a great way to mix up the fun!

GCTGGQ no name beach club - by far the best place a cache has ever taken me!

DSCN0572.jpg

The Virtual on the playa del carmen side

DSCN0548.jpg

One Stage of a Multi on Cozumel

DSCN0561.jpg

No you didn't need a photo with the pelican, the cacher was taking a photo of us, and he was backing up to get everything in frame and this pelican couldn't care less, so we turned around and took their photo...

A cache on Cozumel

DSCN0605.jpg

Not the most creative or memorable cache container or hide, but most everyone's story of getting there is great! I know ours was... GC4CE5

DSCN0715.jpg

I have safely found several geocaches in Tulum and Chitchen-Itza, several years ago. Stopped when I found the big bag of white powder at GZ for a cache at the entrance to Chichen-Itza though ... didn't want to explain THAT to the Policia.

Mexico has areas of relative safety - typically around the resort communities, and areas of peril. Don't explore the Jungle areas without a guide of some sort. I'm quite certain that I'm not likely to take any Geocaching trips to Afghanistan.... like .... ever.

Otherwise, the typical rules are the same as anywhere else on earth. Don't walk down a back alley counting money in the poor part of town. Be aware of your surroundings. Try not to upset the property managers/owners.