found my first cache

lachupa

I got a new GPS yesterday because I managed to convince my husband that it would be irresponsible to head out on a week long trip with the old one that is black & white and won't work with the new maps I just bought for it.

So yesterday the new toy arrived and boy is it sweet. I guess the technology has come a long way since the old one. As I was going through the manual (because yes I am one of those people who reads the manual) I ran across the section on geocaching. I'd heard of it but didn't know a lot about it so while I had some downtime at work I started reading about it and discovered that there are a lot of caches near my work and house.

When I got home from work today I loaded the nearest one into my GPS, leashed up the dog, grabbed the husband, and off we went. I think the dog was confused about the wandering back and forth but we actually found it. Sadly we just found part 1 of a 2 part one but we're not 100% sure we loaded the coordinates for the second one in exactly right. We'll give it another shot, but it was a lot of fun.

Husban was quite skeptical about the whole thing (D&D references were made :mad: ) BUT later when I said that when I was going to spend my lunch hunting a few of these down that are near my work, he got a bit pouty about my doing them without him.

We're hooked now, but still not really sure what we're doing.

Welcome! I'd leave the forums now, if I was you. The responses to this post will be the most positive ones you ever hear. Afterwards, every question you ask will be met with snippy comments and "We've discussed this 1,000,000,000 times, and you are stupid" replies. Stick with www.geocaching.com and your local geocaching group website, which would appear to be the North Carolina Geocachers' a**'n, www.ncgeocachers.com.

Welcome! I'd leave the forums now, if I was you. The responses to this post will be the most positive ones you ever hear. Afterwards, every question you ask will be met with snippy comments and "We've discussed this 1,000,000,000 times, and you are stupid" replies. Stick with www.geocaching.com and your local geocaching group website, which would appear to be the North Carolina Geocachers' a**'n, www.ncgeocachers.com.

To the original poster - awesome that you discovered geocaching today and found your first cache. I've been toying with caching for a couple of years and even created an account. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I finally went on my first cache - with my 80 yr. old Dad. They live in Arizona and were in PA to visit in early June. I picked a cache location not far from the house. I didn't bother reading the information about the terrain or the difficulty of the cache. We parked the car and proceeded to follow my Droid to where the cache was. What started this whole thing was we were supposed to be going to the store to pick up food for supper. I said to my Dad - lets try this geocache thing together. We're both in shorts and me in my new running shoes. The coordinates took us to where the cache would be, well we hit some hills, very wooded areas, poison ivy and fallen trees. After about 45 minutes and no cache found we got to this beautiful lake and walking path. We decided to just walk it for a bit and gave up. Well, then I looked at the GPS program again and saw we were actually getting close again and there were no real obstructions like we had just endured. So, we went in for our second attempt, and within 5 minutes my Dad spotted it, and we both found our first cache together. I was very proud of him being 80 yrs. old and enduring the journey in the conditions we had, and me finding my first cache too, it made it more special finding it with my Dad. We got back about 2 hours after we left for food, and my new running shoes were ruined...but hey, we found a cache together so it was all worth it :(

I'm really excited about geocaching now, my daughter and my son and I went geocaching on Fathers Day and we found several caches together, and we're going out together on Saturday too. It's a great family thing and a chance to bond and have memories of the things we found. I apparently am one of those geocachers who has a knack for finding the worst ways of entering the woods to find a cache, when there are much easier ways to get to them.

To the person who said to quit posting in the forum now, I'm sorry the geocaching community is this way. I will do my best to never become one of those people. It does sound like it's very strict though in here and I got a warning tonight about promoting a forbidden program. I will abide by the rules here and hope I don't run into those who will try to bring me down.

Edited by SteelCityPA
...and "We've discussed this 1,000,000,000 times, and you are stupid" replies.
Sometimes verbatim. But that's mostly been replaced with "Ni!". Aww man, I wasn't supposed to reveal that.

EDIT: I dare someone to post Pork King's quote in the next newbie topic.

Edited by BCProspectors