Geocaching Radio show July 2!

On Friday, July 2, Oregon Public Broadcasting's daily talk show "Think Out Loud" will be all about geocaching! We are live 9-10am (PST) and we'd love to hear from geocachers around the world during our show. Please visit our blog for details about how to join the conversation either by posting to our blog or calling in: http://www.opb.org/thinkoutloud/shows/geocaching/

We will also be hiding a geocache that we hope someone will find during the show. If you find it, you could be on the air! All the details will be posted Friday morning to our blog.

Many thanks,

Julie Sabatier

Associate producer, "Think Out Loud"

Sorry, but I am increasingly becoming one of those people that is NOT thrilled with geocaching publicity. Call me selfish (I know that some will!) but I like that it is is/was a little-known activity. I liked the fact that it was somewhat secretive. I don't want everybody to know about it. I particularly feel a bit disappointed when that publicity is nothing more than an article for a newspaper or a feature for a TV show... you (the media, that is) are stealing our little sub-culture from us for no better reason than to fill a slot.

Moreover, those that do those quickie little features seldom take the time to really get to know us or our activity. At the very least, please (if its not too late) do your own research, and don't rely on the tired sound-bites (even though some of them come from this very website) that state that this is somehow a "treasure-hunt", or that it is "a high-tech game of hide-and-seek". Yawn!

First, the "treasure" is more likely to be a bottle cap or used golf ball. And secondly, it really isn't that high-tech. We didn't design the GPS system... we simply use it, and that doesn't amount to much more than pushing a few buttons and following an arrow.

Sorry, but I am increasingly becoming one of those people that is NOT thrilled with geocaching publicity. Call me selfish (I know that some will!) but I like that it is is/was a little-known activity. I liked the fact that it was somewhat secretive. I don't want everybody to know about it. I particularly feel a bit disappointed when that publicity is nothing more than an article for a newspaper or a feature for a TV show... you (the media, that is) are stealing our little sub-culture from us for no better reason than to fill a slot.

Moreover, those that do those quickie little features seldom take the time to really get to know us or our activity. At the very least, please (if its not too late) do your own research, and don't rely on the tired sound-bites (even though some of them come from this very website) that state that this is somehow a "treasure-hunt", or that it is "a high-tech game of hide-and-seek". Yawn!

First, the "treasure" is more likely to be a bottle cap or used golf ball. And secondly, it really isn't that high-tech. We didn't design the GPS system... we simply use it, and that doesn't amount to much more than pushing a few buttons and following an arrow.

What the dog with eye problems said.

What the dog with eye problems said.

What the hand in my gym sock said.

Good deal!

I've been an active evangelist and ambassador for geocaching for seven years next month and love introducing people to our game!

Efforts like yours help get the word out and can be the source of information that introduces a family to geocaching, which I believe to be one of the best family activities.

I will post a link to your show details in The Online Geocacher Magazine.