Possible theft of Mission 9 container lid

Moun10Bike

NWCREW, I'll take you up on that offer. I looked at the online catalogs of a couple of downtown Seattle surplus stores and they didn't have that size (81mm rocket-propelled mortar ammo can measuring about 30" x 14" x 6"). Also, if someone can get a hold of Johnnycache79 that would be great.

I'm sending you an email right now.

Prying Pandora picked up our super sized ammo box this evening and will be taking it up to the Annette Lake trailhead in the morning. It's not quite as big as the ape cache container but it's pretty good sized. It will be a make do replacement until we can find the lid and get the real container back in business.

Wanted to update everyone with what I know about the situation since Moun10Bike first alerted me this afternoon.

We have a replacement lid that we think is the same size (thanks, johnny cache 79!), and ricksto is running it up to the cache at 7:00 am tomorrow (Friday), ahead of the Going APE event. If the lid doesn't fit, Team Misguided has donated a large ammo can as a temporary container, and Prying Pandora is dropping that at Annette early tomorrow, as well, for us to ferry up to the cache if needed. Thanks to all these folks for their generosity and rapid response, not only for this cache but to avoid disappointing all the APE cache seekers this weekend, including 500 at tomorrow's event.

At tonight's Podcacher event, I met the folks who first reported the missing lid, and some cachers who were there earlier. They both had time-stamped photos, and we narrowed the theft to between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm today. With this many folks visiting the cache, and the thief most likely wanting the find, it should be easy to identify likely suspects if need be.

Finally, WSGA had already told Moun10Bike we were donating one of the new APE coins to the cache, to be permanently affixed like the existing (hopefully not previous) one. That new coin was already activated ahead of tomorrow's event, so attendees could discover it, and we still plan to attach the coin after GeoWoodstock, regardless of the outcome of this situation.

Edited by hydnsek

This is really too bad. It seems Murphy has reared his ugly head at the one moment that he is always talked about. I live just two minutes away on post from the surplus stores in Tillicum and will stop by tomorrow and talk with all of them. If I find an exact matching morter can I will pick it up just incase none of the "temporarys" are an exact match. Anyone, please call me if it can be of assistance. Travis @(253) 278-0747. I will be heading up there on Saturday after GW8 with a friend who has not been there yet and can replace if need be. Just give me a call. If I don't hear anything between now and Saturday afternoon I won't bother packing it in if I find one. Just want to help out if I can.

This is really too bad. It seems Murphy has reared his ugly head at the one moment that he is always talked about. I live just two minutes away on post from the surplus stores in Tillicum and will stop by tomorrow and talk with all of them. If I find an exact matching morter can I will pick it up just incase none of the "temporarys" are an exact match. Anyone, please call me if it can be of assistance. Travis @(253) 278-0747. I will be heading up there on Saturday after GW8 with a friend who has not been there yet and can replace if need be. Just give me a call. If I don't hear anything between now and Saturday afternoon I won't bother packing it in if I find one. Just want to help out if I can.

I called four of those surplus stores and all said no. One of them did say those 81mm rocket propelled guys are on a pallet behind the foxhole. So you may want to cruise around back, take a look and then go in and ask about them if so.

I called four of those surplus stores and all said no. One of them did say those 81mm rocket propelled guys are on a pallet behind the foxhole. So you may want to cruise around back, take a look and then go in and ask about them if so.

Thanks for the info. I will head out here in a minute and go check. Even if the replacement does fit, I have an excuse to place a really cool cache. Glad we solved this problem ASAP.

Jeremy slaps my hand right now anytime I even get close to that can! :mad: It's effectively a museum piece for the company and is going to stay in pristine shape on display in the lobby.

It's a little late now for the Event, but I have an Ape Cache sized ammo can. I do not know if the lid will fit, but if you want it it's yours. I have had plans for years to place it up on the Iron Goat trail as a tribute to the Ape Cache, but have never actually gotten around to it.

Thanks, LewisClan77. towtrkdug believes that he has an exact replacement, but if it ends up not fitting, I'll be contacting you! :blink:

Went up with my lid, and it also did not fit. Looked for about an hour and a half or so in the bushes down the hill under the power lines with no love. That was a time I really wanted to yell "FOUND IT !" but....DNF. Sorry guys, I tried.

This may or may not apply to the Project Ape cache container, but it does work for the smaller ones.

For those who want to secure the lid of their ammunition cans, try this:

1. Remove the lid from the can and set it aside.

2. Find a healthy pair of pliers or vise grips.

3. Grab a hold and remove (by twisting and pulling) the can's hinge pins and set aside as spare parts.

4. Re-mount the lid to the can so that the hinge is properly aligned.

5. Replace the pins with just one or two 16p nails or a single solid steel rod of the correct diameter.

6. Weld the nail(s) or rod on one or two ends or in the middle, so that the lid still opens and closes properly.

7. Paint the hinge assembly to prevent rust and add WD40 after paint has dried.

8. Modify as need to fit your own needs.

I had concerns for one of my caches, after the lid and the cache contents had gone missing as well. Using the above procedure and with the can locked by a steel cable to a tree, the lid and the can aren't going anywhere or anytime soon!

/\/(°w°)\/\

Lid update - I got one that fit! I ordered a replacement can here the moment I first heard rumors of the theft and it arrived this morning. The can is shorter than the APE can, but the lid dimensions are a match. It was a perfect fit for the APE can that sits in the Groundspeak lobby.

I'm going to paint it up and Mike, the Groundspeak artist, is going to help me recreate the stencil of the logo and lettering. hydnsek has one of the new APE coins to go on it, and I'm starting the search for one of the old ticket-style APE coins. Anyone got an extra they'd be willing to part with? If there's room I'd like to throw on one of my coins, too.

The Fledermaus method of securing the lid won't work as there is no hinge on these cans. However, a simple cable through the rings and the holes on the flanges should work for at least the quick-and-easy swipe.

Maybe we should have an event for replacing the lid and celebrating the return of the wholeness of the can! :(

[Edit to add link to the can I found online]

Edited by Moun10Bike

I'd be down for an event. Any chance for a CITO in the area? I haven't been up there in ages though, so maybe nothing to do.

Probably not much to CITO, as our trail sweeps and Annette crew cleaned up after the APE event (of course, lots of folks since then), but we'll have an "APE lid replacement" event of some sort, probably at Annette TH in a couple weeks. And we'll bring some trash bags, just in case.

Edited by hydnsek

Any way of replacing the A.P.E. movie literature thats all missing also ? The first time I went there was a script, a DVD, a bunch of publicity pics etc. They were not there this time. I have copies of the pics I can print. I also bought the same can Moun10bike did, but from a different source. It will be here Friday so I will hang onto it for future problems if they occur.

Edited by towtrkdug

Don't know if you want to do this or not, but drill a countersunk hole in the coins and mount them with flathead screws and nuts along with the epoxy or whatever you used to attach the coins. There will be hole in the lid but you should be able to seal that with some silicone seal. Perhaps the hole in the middle will make the coins unattractive for a personal collection or an ebay sale. But I am glad that you found a replacement and sounds like it will be fixed up just super spiffy.

Any way of replacing the A.P.E. movie literature thats all missing also ? The first time I went there was a script, a DVD, a bunch of publicity pics etc. They were not there this time. I have copies of the pics I can print. I also bought the same can Moun10bike did, but from a different source. It will be here Friday so I will hang onto it for future problems if they occur.

Apparently, someone else took that without realizing it was meant to remain there. Supposedly, they are returning it, but who knows.

Don't know if you want to do this or not, but drill a countersunk hole in the coins and mount them with flathead screws and nuts along with the epoxy or whatever you used to attach the coins. There will be hole in the lid but you should be able to seal that with some silicone seal. Perhaps the hole in the middle will make the coins unattractive for a personal collection or an ebay sale. But I am glad that you found a replacement and sounds like it will be fixed up just super spiffy.

The previous coin did in fact have two holes drilled in it and it was riveted to the lid on a hinge, so folks could see both sides. So it would be easy to spot if someone tries to sell it. Caliber has provided us with pics and details on how he did it, so that we can attach the new coins in a similar fashion. I'm donating (via WSGA) the new APE coin (gold GeoWoodstock edition), and jcar is donating a silver version of the original Ape coin (unless someone donates another gold Finders version).

When I mentioned CITO, I was thinking more along the lines of trail restoration/maintenance.

But just a normal event works just fine for me :lol:

The National Forest Service frowns on just anybody doing trail maintenance other that the old saying:

"knock a rock, kick a stick."

If you really want to do some trail work this organization does a lot of work on trails throughout many parts of this state.

I was just throwing out a suggestion and I wouldn't assume we'd just randomly do it. I know any CITO of that magnitude would need to go through the proper channels, much like the recent mt. Rainier and discovery park CITO events :anibad:

Any one can pick up trash. They just have to take it with them unless arrangements are made for disposal.

Just a reminder that clearing sticks and limbs and small rocks is ok just not maintenance that requires "tools".

Happy Trails

Ironman

I have a ticket-style APE coin I'd be willing to part with for this purpose. Granted, it's the non-special silver variety AND activated, but if you can't come up with something better just let me know.

Thanks for the offer! Jcar has donated a silver version of the original APE coin, unactivated, which we are going to place in the revised lid next to the new gold APE coin.

Thanks for the offer! Jcar has donated a silver version of the original APE coin, unactivated, which we are going to place in the revised lid next to the new gold APE coin.

Fantastic! Can't wait to discover it next time we're up that way. As if we needed another excuse to hike that trail...

Just wanted to let everyone know that Lid Reattachment Day is July 24 and we're celebrating with an event: Putting a Lid on the APE. Hope you can join us to rejuvenate the APE cache! :huh:

I trust you have someone who will be able to braze the hinge pin or like, to see this doen't happen again. (Not certain what is possible with this size container)

Moun10Bike has a plan to avoid another premature lid detachment. :laughing: