GPX and Palm for Benchmarking

nikcap

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

If anyone has hints and tips for using GeoClipper please share them with me.

GeoClipping is pretty straightforward. What type of hints are you looking for? I use it for small batches, but I keep a Plucker channel loaded with a 10 mile radius for impromptu hunting. Poorly formatted data beats no data at all!

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

I creat at a custom channels to the URL of the results of my search. For example, I search for BMs near my zip 08540. I copy the address of the page that is returned to a custon Plucker channel.

The only problem I have is the page is usually 1.2 - 1.6 megs on my Palm, which goobles up precious memory on my 2MB Palm III. A typical set of 50 or 75 caches only takes up 200 or 300K using GPX.

Clipper is a good alternative if you want to save in file size, just the process is a little tedious. If I could figure out how to use clipper in a "batch" mode or find something that could edit the PDB files I'd be good to go.

I guess the truth is, you really don't need the BM description for 80% of the BMs, but it would be nice.

quote:

The only problem I have is the page is usually 1.2 - 1.6 megs on my Palm, which goobles up precious memory on my 2MB Palm III. A typical set of 50 or 75 caches only takes up 200 or 300K using GPX.

Clipper is a good alternative if you want to save in file size, just the process is a little tedious. If I could figure out how to use clipper in a "batch" mode or find something that could edit the PDB files I'd be good to go.

I guess the truth is, you really don't need the BM description for 80% of the BMs, but it would be nice.

Are you using the "stay on host" filter to eliminate unnecessary pages? My 10 mile radius file (not including unfound marks) has 116 marks and the plucker file is only 336k.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:

If its possible, I always bring the data sheet with me on a BM hunt. If your hunting Railroad BM's, chances are they are older ones and maybe even SCALED (look towards top of page). Scaled meaning they were estimated via a map. Adjusted's are fairly accurate, so long as your GPS is doing well that day. In Central NJ, many of the BM's are subsurface to protect them, so they are harder with out descriptions to use. I have found a bunch w/o data sheets (esp. spires, or disks in massive structures, bridges,etc). But I find the sheet help and, if possible, I can validate the reference are still correct or have been updated. (i.e. Utility pole upgraded and BM is now 3 feet closer to pole, etc).

"Problems are merely opportunities for interesting solutions which can be implemented by those with the courage to be different."

I am running Plucker on my palm with six hundred complete benchmark reports along with 300 cache pages. I have no idea how he does it ( Robert Lipe the geocacher that developed GPSBABEL for cachers ) I think its magic Heeeee Heeee . I just ask him to do it for me and make a promise that a beer truck will pull up to his house and drop a load off. He is out of town caching right now. When he gets back I will ask if he would explain it to me a little better even though I will not understand any of it. But for now its just MAGIC ……………………JOE

As far as I know I am the only one he does this for, but if you can drive a beer truck to his house I am sure something can be worked out.Heeeeeeeeee Heeeeeeeeeee

Caching for Life or Divorce which ever comes first

Joe, I'm missing something here...Is Robert and/or GPSBabel letting you deal with benchmarks in GPX formats? He's worked a little magic for me, too, so I wouldn't be surprised at much of anything.

I don't think I'll be able to ask him to serve the data to me on a silver platter, though, it that's what he's doing for you. But if you can shed any light, maybe we can share in your cackling. icon_smile.gif

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt