geocaching.com - Mobile version

oso&sol

Enthusiastically echoed.

Especially with mobile devices now with web capability, not the least of which of course is iPhone.

When away from home, especially roaming, data can cost an arm and a leg. A simple task of viewing logs, or viewing images -- the website is definitely not mobile friendly, and the official app could be a little more optimized as well (like turning off auto-download of images for example).

I don't know what GS's plans are for opening the API, but even to download a GPX for a cache you need to load the whole cache page first. Tedious. :S

Enthusiastically echoed.

Especially with mobile devices now with web capability, not the least of which of course is iPhone.

When away from home, especially roaming, data can cost an arm and a leg. A simple task of viewing logs, or viewing images -- the website is definitely not mobile friendly, and the official app could be a little more optimized as well (like turning off auto-download of images for example).

I don't know what GS's plans are for opening the API, but even to download a GPX for a cache you need to load the whole cache page first. Tedious. :S

There is wap.geocaching.com but clearly it isn't what you are looking for.

Anyway, a good old solution for some other situations I took the liberty to mention.

I would love to see a minimalist version of the cache detail page.

Just like there's the decrypt url option and show all logs, provide another that will show plain text details of the cache, everything shown on the regular page.

Take it one step further and default to not loading images in the description; click a button then to load images.

Or even load just direct cache details, but hide the logs; click a button to load the logs, 10 or 20 at a time; again just plan text, with text links to gallery photos.

A mobile friendly cache page would be very very welcome!

Nicely designed. I've also created my own personal minimalist GC mirror for my own iPhone and personal use...

But be aware that the only way to accomplish this kind of mobile-friendly experience at this point, is by 'scraping' GC.com's web pages (either directly, or in order to get the GPX to format cache pages) which is against GC's TOS -- which is why this topic exists.

There is currently no legitimate mobile-friendly version of GC.com.

That's why the iPhoneCaching website has the apology on the front page- it was most likely designed by the owner for his personal use, not excessive public use.

So, any chance we can get a mobile-friendly version of GC.com, or a condoned method to allow us to create our own mobile-friendly version?

Edited by thebruce0
But be aware that the only way to accomplish this kind of mobile-friendly experience at this point, is by 'scraping' GC.com's web pages (either directly, or in order to get the GPX to format cache pages) which is against GC's TOS -- which is why this topic exists.

I wasn't going to mention how closely it resembled the app that must not be named. :(

Check out http://www.bcaching.com/

That site loads PQ's, so it's not scraping the GC.com site and violating the T's&C's.

Tried it out. Wish there was a Windows Mobile client for the site.....

Upside - toss my entire GSAK db in there. Yay!

Upside - can get live-"ish" data by generating a PQ from my smartphone to the bcaching site.

Downside - information is stale as my GSAK db is. Won't have logs posted since last PQ. Also cannot pickup/drop off trackables easily.

Downside - you tried to generate a PQ from a smartphone lately? Not fun.

That site loads PQ's, so it's not scraping the GC.com site and violating the T's&C's.

What about the part of the T&C which read:

You may not reproduce or retransmit the Site Materials, in whole or in part, in any manner, without the prior written consent of the owner of such materials, except as follows: You may make a single copy of the Site Materials solely for Your personal, noncommercial use, but such copying must be consistent with any applicable additional terms and conditions and You must preserve any copyright, trademark, or other notices contained in or associated with such Site Materials. You may not distribute such copies to others, whether or not in electronic form and whether or not for a charge or other consideration, without prior written consent of the owner of such materials.
IOW, you can't share data you've gotten via PQs. I think this is the portion of the T&C that various websites like INATN have to get permission for so that people can upload their My Finds.

What about the part of the T&C which read:

You may not reproduce or retransmit the Site Materials, in whole or in part, in any manner, without the prior written consent of the owner of such materials, except as follows: You may make a single copy of the Site Materials solely for Your personal, noncommercial use, but such copying must be consistent with any applicable additional terms and conditions and You must preserve any copyright, trademark, or other notices contained in or associated with such Site Materials. You may not distribute such copies to others, whether or not in electronic form and whether or not for a charge or other consideration, without prior written consent of the owner of such materials.
IOW, you can't share data you've gotten via PQs. I think this is the portion of the T&C that various websites like INATN have to get permission for so that people can upload their My Finds.

BCaching has a Data License Agreement with Groundspeak according to their home page.

What's been said above, plus PQ's are available by static URL now. It is possible to create a PQ, then have a 3rd party website load it and work with the data. That's not scraping a web page...

To do that, you must be logged in, which means that 3rd party site would need your gc.com credentials. Sharing ID & password with a 3rd party is usually a violation of most sites' TOU, not to mention a colossally bad idea in general.

It wouldn't surprise me if Groundspeak included this in the "no scraping" rules.

Nope, sharing your login credentials with any site or app is your own choice. But, I haven't looked to see if they actually restrict that in the TOS, though frankly I would be very surprised if they did.

Scraping is more of a double negative - it's a waste of their bandwidth and it subverts ads and updates and content they may specifically want people to see. Geosphere for example uses the in-app iPhone browser and you need to log into the website so it can then automates the cache GPX download button click in order to retrieve the GPX. That's not against the TOS, and it's not scraping. Granted the app itself doesn't ask for or remember your login, but it's a workaround. (this is also why Geosphere works with its own saved database of caches from GPX downloads, and what it can accomplish via the embedded browser - it doesn't scrape, it only automates and uses the functions GC has made accessible via the website)

Basically, technically speaking, asking for your login info to accomplish a task for you isn't against the TOS, at least not in the same restriction as the no-scraping rule where a webpage is loaded and only the desired pieces of information are clipped out and sent to the user. Maybe there's a different rule against using login credentials though *shrug* :(

Edited by thebruce0

Nope, sharing your login credentials with any site or app is your own choice.

A colossally stupid one at that. By now, everyone should know that you don't do that.
But, I haven't looked to see if they actually restrict that in the TOS, though frankly I would be very surprised if they did.
Most websites do. Facebook I know for certain has very strict policies about sharing your credentials (short version: if you do it, we'll close your account). Such a policy is for the user's own protection.

Twitter doesn't. Any app that uses a web service/site doesn't.

There's also 3rd party shared authorization like oauth.

It's not a blanket "stupid choice". But it is a matter to be wise about. Read the fine print of any site/app that requests your login info - do they store it? is it done by their code, or is it an embedded service that handles it? etc...

There's nothing 'wrong' with using your login credentials with a 3rd party service, it's just a given that you should be smart about it (just as you would for any place that asks for personal details or login information, or like choosing a secure password).

Edited by thebruce0

I am jumping on this bandwagon as well-- especially since the introduction of the feedback tab. I have mostly been using gc.com on my blackberry now, since my computer went kaplooee, and the feedback tab blocks almost the entire page. The site is completely useless now. I would ADORE a mobile version.

Not to get to off topic, however having been a BB user, try Opera rather than the standard browser.

I am jumping on this bandwagon as well-- especially since the introduction of the feedback tab. I have mostly been using gc.com on my blackberry now, since my computer went kaplooee, and the feedback tab blocks almost the entire page. The site is completely useless now. I would ADORE a mobile version.

Not to get to off topic, however having been a BB user, try Opera rather than the standard browser.

Well, now that you mention Opera, one of the recent updates has made it impossible to submit a trackable log using Opera. The submit button won't work. Even more reason for a mobile version.

Anyone have a link to the feedback thread for this?

I use a Blackberry Tour 9630 (and a Windows Phone) - On the Blackberry, disable Javascript to view Geocaching.com. Feedback button doesn't even show up on my device, using the native Blackberry browser

Options -> Browser Configuration -> [] Support Javascript

I use a Blackberry Tour 9630 (and a Windows Phone) - On the Blackberry, disable Javascript to view Geocaching.com. Feedback button doesn't even show up on my device, using the native Blackberry browser

Options -> Browser Configuration -> [] Support Javascript

That did get rid of the feedback tab, but it completely screwed up the layout of the site-- at least, on my phone it did. I'm using a Blackberry Storm (which is a glitchy little brick but nevertheless...). I'll try messing around with the other settings and see if I can block it somehow. Thanks for the tip though!

Edit:

I changed the browser recognition to "Firefox" and disabled the Javascript, and it got rid of the feedback tab without completely destroying the layout. It is still a little messed up, but I can actually use the navigation on the left now.

Options > Browser Configuration > [] Support Javascript ; and ... > Browser Identification: [Firefox]

I would still prefer to have a working mobile site, because it would be faster and less data/bandwith; not to mention that I wouldn't have to change my settings whenever I want to go to the site. This is a royal PITA.

Edited by twitchhugstrees

i have a VZW 9630 BlackBerry. i don't own a PC so i do ALL my caching from my BlackBerry. That includes my hides too. i use Bolt browser to access the Geocaching.com site and it works great! i convert my Field Notes to Logs, upload pictures, post to forums, look at cache pages, fill out form to get cache published.

i also use the Geocache Navigator by Trimble app to cache.

The BlackBerry browser leaves a lot to be desired. It's good for mobile sites, not so much with full sites, especially image heavy sites.

Try using Bolt Browser instead for full web sites.

Let me know if any BlackBerry users have questions. i know a bit about them.