Trekking Poles and Airplanes

I am planning to fly to a destination where there are some good hiking opportunities. I've become accustomed to hiking with at least one collapsible trekking pole. I'd like to bring it with me on the airplane. But, I've also become accustomed to never checking any baggage unless absolutely necessary.

Any experiences, thoughts, or guesses about getting through TSA airport security with a carryon bag that has a trekking pole that has a pointy end on it? I will sure look the part of a hiker, as said carryon bag will also have a Camelback hydration pack, a GPS, hiking boots, raingear, etc.

It is hard enough having to leave my multi-tool at home.

I think you might have to check it. Looking at a list of banned and restricted items, it seems like these rules might apply:

- Sporting Goods: Bats (baseball, softball, cricket), hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, bows and arrows, ski poles and spear guns golf clubs, and pool cues. **It's not really a ski pole, but similar in shape and use.

- Tools: Tools greater than seven inches in length can only be carried as checked baggage. Also, power tools such as drills should also be in checked baggage. Shorter tools, such as wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers, may be carried in carry-on baggage. Any tool with a sharp or cutting edge like a hand saw, box cutter, or drill bit are also limited to checked baggage.

- In addition to the restrictions of the TSA, your airline may also have restrictions on what is allowed on the airplane. If you are carrying an unusual item, or if you thing that an airline may have a restriction, be sure to contact your airline ahead of time, or to contact a representative in the airport.

Perhaps if you don't want to check it, you could mail/ship it to your destination?