Canada Day Cointest!

ECplus3

"Canada Day (French: Fête du Canada), formerly Dominion Day (French: Le Jour de la Confédération), is Canada's national day, a federal statutory holiday celebrating the anniversary of the July 1, 1867, enactment of the British North America Act (today called the Constitution Act, 1867), which united two British colonies and a province of the British Empire into a single country, still within the Empire, called Canada. Canada Day observances take place throughout Canada as well as internationally."

"The National Flag of Canada, also known as the Maple Leaf, and l'Unifolié (French for "the one-leafed"), is a red flag with a white square in its centre, featuring a stylized 11-pointed red maple leaf. "

From wikipedia :(

MapleleafCookies.jpg

Maple Leaf Cookies!!!!

Makes about 8 dozen

* 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter

* 1/2 cup granulated sugar

* 1/2 cup light-brown sugar

* 1 large egg yolk

* 3/4 cup maple syrup (preferably grade A)

* Vegetable oil cooking spray

* 1/3 cup sanding sugar

Directions

1. Sift flour and salt into a medium bowl. Beat butter and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low, and add yolk, then 1/2 cup maple syrup, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture, and beat until just incorporated. Shape into 2 disks, wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or up to 2 days).

2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Roll out 1 disk of dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a sheet of lightly floured parchment. Place parchment with dough on baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.

3. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray, line with parchment, and coat parchment. Cut out cookies from frozen dough using a 3 1/2-inch maple-leaf-shaped cutter, and space 1 inch apart on sheets. Roll and cut scraps once. Freeze cookies until firm, about 15 minutes.

4. Bake cookies until edges begin to turn golden, 14 to 16 minutes. Transfer parchment with cookies to wire racks, and let cool for 5 minutes. Brush cookies with 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and sprinkle with 1/2 the sanding sugar. Let cool. Repeat with remaining dough, maple syrup, and sugar. (Cookies will keep for up to 2 days.)

From Martha Stewart Living, November 2008 | Send a Free Preview Issue!

Helpful Hint

Be sure to use pure maple syrup, not a lesser imitation.

Read more at Marthastewart.com: Maple Leaf Cookies and more delicious recipes, smart cooking tips, and video demonstrations on marthastewart.com

:(:):D:D

*Edited to add title*

Edited by Where'sMyMarbles

Hmm.. I searched a little and I think it is already 8:23 in the morning of 2nd of July, so... the cointest is probably over....

but I believe that beautiful photos are always welcome! :(

I hope all Canadians and not only, had a great Canada's day! :)

Next stop.... 4th of July!!! :D

Edited by GATOULIS

Thanks for the pictures everyone! I love seeing the maple leaf. :(

Yesterday for Canada Day I went to see the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo (in this context a 'tattoo' is a military pageant or display). Three hours of spectacular music, precision athletic displays and a bit of comedy. It all culminated in the singing of Oh Canada played by all the bands that had performed -- over 500 musicians in total including a 100 piece pipe and drum band. It was awesome! And lots of maple leafs in evidence. :)

So, now on to the cointest.

I decided to draw 3 winners, so here they are:

1. post 10 - YemonYime

2. post 161 - Tschakko

3. post 254 - ConsHaltonCache

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all who played!

Could the winners please send their address to me through my profile.