Geocaching Swiss Army Knife

3Hs

So lt me see if I understand this programs. You pull a PQ and import it to GSAK. There you can sort. filter and organize cashes in your area. Then you can transfer selected caches to your gps unit. GSAK in no way links to geocaching to mark caches as found/DNF. You still have to mark your finds on each cache page (so you can put comments) So GSAK is basically a way to keep everything organized.

So lt me see if I understand this programs. You pull a PQ and import it to GSAK. There you can sort. filter and organize cashes in your area. Then you can transfer selected caches to your gps unit. GSAK in no way links to geocaching to mark caches as found/DNF. You still have to mark your finds on each cache page (so you can put comments) So GSAK is basically a way to keep everything organized.

That's about right. But what you can do, after a day of caching and marking caches as Found in your GPS, is to use the Receive From GPS (or something like that) option in GSAK, then set a filter to show only Found caches. Double-click on each one to go to the cache page and log it.

GSAK is awesome.. I have been a programmer and general computer-guy for about 25 years, have been using GSAK for about 5 years, and I'm still learning new tricks with it. More than that, I'm barely scratching the surface!

But with GSAK and some GSAK macros it can bring up the cache logging page and then with a right click you log is pasted into the form, a quick submit and on to the next one. Not linked but certainly convenient. And then with the FindsStatGen macro you can generate some spiffy stats for your profile page. And of course you can slice and dice your data to your hearts content.

GSAK is very powerful. I have a triton, so it does not support uploads direct from GSAK, but with the right macro, it can edit all the information so that it is more suitable for the triton. Extremely helpful. I use GSAK with a macro, then I save the GPX and load it in Vantage point, because I must, then load it on my triton. There is so much you can do.

Its power is only exceeded by its mystery!!! B)

Some of its strong features are:

A wide assortment of macro's to extend what it does (like generate field notes to upload to gc to make logging easier)

The ability to create and maintain child waypoints, great for puzzles, scoping out parking, etc ahead of time, stuff like that

The ability to do "corrected coordinates", great for puzzles

For child and corrected coords, these are maintained when new .gpx files are loaded, so your work is kept

Notes, which if you have a gps or pda that supports logs, your notes show as the 1st log

A ton of great filtering options, so you don't load your gps with unwanted or unfindable caches (such as unsolved armchair puzzles).

And I could probably keep going, but it makes caching WAY easier.

update... Just got a message that GSAK does not communicate with my Lowrance Endura Out&Back GPS but can create a .usr files. Any suggestions?

It doesn't communicate directly with the Endura, but there is no need for it to. GSAK can create a GPX file and you just drag and drop that file into the Endura.

The Endura doesn't handle large GPX files well so I have a GSAK database of about 3,500 caches. I run them through a GSAK macro to break them into multiple files of 500 each. I then hook up the Endura and drag the files to it.

GSAK has a macro built into it that will let you write your log, date it, annotate FTF/DNF/FOUND and spell check. One more click later, a web page is brought up for the cache, this is where you paste your log and click submit. You also have the options of purging your written log within GSAK. (Your log will show up again when you send your My Finds PQ to GSAK). Within this same macro is a notes section, I use it to save solutions or partial solutions to puzzles, notes about routes from other cachers, etc.

I feed GSAK 5 PQ's every other day. 4 PQ's for unfound caches in my area (out to 30 miles) and 1 PQ for My Hides. My main unfound database has about 1500 caches. I have seperate databases for other locations (weekend getaway spots, Walt Disney World, routes down to Disney, etc. all have at least 500 caches, some have 1000+)

I also have a macro that filters out paddle/kayak caches, shows all traditional/multi/solved puzzles caches within 20 miles. As mention GSAK has several macros that do a variety of tasks. The filter abilities are endless either with a macro, or with the GUI. Want to find the most difficult caches in you database? Three or four mouse clicks and you have your answer.

Give it a shot there is a free trail period for 3 weeks (IIRC). The support at GSAK is the best I have seen, top notch!

Edited by Bosn Ski