California Multi-Cache Challenge (Being Built)

That is pretty ambitious for your first cache and I do believe there is a maximum distance between waypoints on a multi.

You know, I thought that also. But looking in the guidelines I did not come across a specific mention of that. But I suspect the reviewer will squawk the distance because it will throw the traveler mileage way out of whack. If he would put the final near the start then it might fly. But with a distance like that expect about one find every two or three years. You certainly won't have to worry about changing the logbook frequently. Also the distances involved are probably going to be a cache maintenance issue. I certainly would have a conversation with my reviewer before I invest to much time in this one.

Edit: With two finds and no history of wide ranging finds I think the cache maintenance will be a big issue with the reviewer. Your talking about a couple hundred miles here.

Edited by jholly

There is no maximum distance between stages of a multi-cache. I've found multi-caches that required several miles of traveling. There's a nearby multi-cache that will require several dozen miles of traveling, which I'm considering using as my 1000th find milestone. I'm aware of multi-caches that require hundreds of miles of traveling.

But the cache owner will need to demonstrate the ability to maintain all the stages of a multi-cache.

City 1: San Leandro

City 2: Alameda

City 3: TBD :mad:

City 4: Willits

City 5: Fort Bragg

Estimated Date of Completion: 7-20-10

Yep. That's pretty ambitious for someone that joined 3 days ago. Based on the 2 caches you've found so far I'm guessing you live near Willits. Will you really want to drive the 150 miles to check on stage 1 if it goes missing?

I do believe there is a maximum distance between waypoints on a multi.

Although there are no guidelines on distance between waypoints, the spirit of the guideline would obviously limit you to 1/2 mile or less. This is to reduce unnecessary wear and tear on the asphalt and help preserve saplings that may be growing in the cracks of the sidewalks.. :mad:

Although there are no guidelines on distance between waypoints, the spirit of the guideline would obviously limit you to 1/2 mile or less. This is to reduce unnecessary wear and tear on the asphalt and help preserve saplings that may be growing in the cracks of the sidewalks.. :(

Huh??

Can you explain what you mean by the sentence I bolded?

That is pretty ambitious for your first cache and I do believe there is a maximum distance between waypoints on a multi.

You know, I thought that also. But looking in the guidelines I did not come across a specific mention of that. But I suspect the reviewer will squawk the distance because it will throw the traveler mileage way out of whack. If he would put the final near the start then it might fly. But with a distance like that expect about one find every two or three years. You certainly won't have to worry about changing the logbook frequently. Also the distances involved are probably going to be a cache maintenance issue. I certainly would have a conversation with my reviewer before I invest to much time in this one.

Edit: With two finds and no history of wide ranging finds I think the cache maintenance will be a big issue with the reviewer. Your talking about a couple hundred miles here.

My talking. :(

Although there are no guidelines on distance between waypoints, the spirit of the guideline would obviously limit you to 1/2 mile or less. This is to reduce unnecessary wear and tear on the asphalt and help preserve saplings that may be growing in the cracks of the sidewalks.. :(

Huh??

That's the part that confused you? I'd like to hear an explanation for the sentence after that one.

Huh??

Nuts to that! I want to know about the part in blue text!! :)