Benchmarks Overseas?

rogbarn

Glenn,

I started a new topic since this is way off topic on the old thread. And besides which, I am going to have to open it for others to respond to since I can't answer your question.

This question has been asked several times in this forum. If memory serves me correctly (it's always questionable), various people have mentioned similiar type markers in the UK and the Netherlands. I'm not sure about Germany. Can anyone help here?

Rog,

Thanks for posting my Q here. I will also ask around while I am in Germany this coming month.

BTW, I found my first two Benchmarks today! Both were close to my dad's home in Bellaire, Texas.

I take it that every time we log a find, your "numbers found and numbers to go" gets automatically updated. Is that correct?

I'm having fun,

Glenn

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

Glenn,

This question has been asked several times in this forum. If memory serves me correctly (it's always questionable), various people have mentioned similiar type markers in the UK and the Netherlands. I'm not sure about Germany. Can anyone help here?

A bit of additional information about "Benchmarks" in the UK. As well as the well known Triagngulation Pillars (Trig Points) which are marked on many types of maps, but especially the 1/50 000 Landranger series, I've discovered some things called Passive Stations, which are often not marked on the Landranger maps.

Basically, the old Trig Point Pillars are mostly no longer maintained by the Ordnance Survey, unless they have been incorporated into the Passive Station network, and other markers, like bolts and plates, have replaced them for checking GPS accuracy.

To get to the details of Passive Stations around the UK you need to sign up to the OS GPS site (free) and then go to the Passive Station section.

To log on and sign up, go to Ordnance Survey site and follow the "click here" link.

There's a search facility to find Passive Stations in your area, accurate Lat/Long data, usually a sketch of what to look for and often a picture of the Station.

However, even the OS are not infallible, and I have created a cache based upon going to a spot near where they incorrectly marked an NGR for a Passive Station near where I live. icon_rolleyes.gif

Just to clarify this, the Lat/Long for the Passive Station were OK, the NGR given wasn't! I've called the Cache 'Precisely Bolsover' if anyone wants to see it.

--... ...--

Morseman

Thanks, Morseman.

I've bookmarked the UK GPS site. I'll check it out when I get back to Germany on the 20th. I'm sure I'll be able to find out about "benchmarks" in Germany from folks at this UK site.

I have family in central Germany (in the Taunus Mountains north of Frankfurt am Main), and I will be looking for caches & benchmarks in our area there.

Best regards, Glenn