Oh dear. Absolutely hate new map preview

pilkro

Just learn to use the Geocaching.com Google Map link on the left.

While I disagree with the post about hating the new preview, I do admit that I don't like the fact that the option to click on the map no longer works. I was living with it for a while by right clicking on it to open the link in a new window. I actually like the new map preview! And if one could see other geocaches on that map, maybe opening a new map using the clutter on the left wouldn't be necessary at all.

It's pretty cool to be able to pan and zoom on the preview.

Yeah, I kinda hate it too. Pretty much pointless the way it is now.

Pointless? It shows you the cache location like it did before. It now also shows you the child waypoints too.

The only thing that missing is that it's no longer a giant hyperlink to the big map. And that now makes it pointless? B)

I rather have the mouse map dragging then duplication of a hyperlink that already exists about 4 inches to the left of the map.

Edited by Avernar

I for one liked the old map hyperlink. The default view as it is now is zoomed in far too close to see anything in context around the cache. I liked being able to get the location at a glance on the old map, rather than have to manipulate it to get a decent feel for the cache's surroundings... So yes, I'll just get used to using the link in the left-hand column.

I miss being able to click on it and open in a new window and see the nearby caches especially when I want to do a short trip and just want to get like 3 on the same rural road.

Click on "Geocaching.com Google Map" instead.

I think a lot of people are complaining only because they're used to it and dislike changing their habits.

The default view as it is now is zoomed in far too close to see anything in context around the cache. I liked being able to get the location at a glance on the old map, rather than have to manipulate it to get a decent feel for the cache's surroundings...

I do agree with you on this one. With no other waypoints further away, the default zoom is way too close.

I miss being able to click on it and open in a new window and see the nearby caches especially when I want to do a short trip and just want to get like 3 on the same rural road.

Click on "Geocaching.com Google Map" instead.

I think a lot of people are complaining only because they're used to it and dislike changing their habits.

I love you in that platonic way. Thanks for that tip. I can now go about to my caching in the way I am most happy to do so.

Like the new map presentation, but do have a problem printing them. If I go to the links list on the left and get the normal red map pins marking the cache or the icons showing all caches in a selected area, I can print a copy, but if I click the google map link on the left and and try to print I get an empty white square where the icon is supposed to be. Due to the size and shape of that icon it obscures a lot of data to the north of the cache. I'm using safari 4.1. Firefox has even more problems so I'm hoping for an easy fix on Safari.

I can't get the new map to do anything, I click on the cache icon and it does nothing, all I can do with it is zoom out. I have tried three different browsers with the same results. What's the secret?
Use the Geocaching.com Google map link on the left.

I didn't realize that there was an entire forum discussion site for Web issues and just posted a note about this under General Topics. Was suggested to come over here, and agree with everyone who doesn't like it. I liked opening up the map in a new window, and while I'm ignorant about what you guys are talking about when you mention Waypoints not available, I liked to be able to just click on the map, see the entire area, other caches, change to Terrain and back, but all in a really large format. We usually just manipulated this page as we wanted and printed it out and have never bothered with driving directions. And you have to hide the directions stuff on the new one now if you don't want that.

One vote for Old Map.

I didn't realize that there was an entire forum discussion site for Web issues and just posted a note about this under General Topics. Was suggested to come over here, and agree with everyone who doesn't like it. I liked opening up the map in a new window, and while I'm ignorant about what you guys are talking about when you mention Waypoints not available, I liked to be able to just click on the map, see the entire area, other caches, change to Terrain and back, but all in a really large format. We usually just manipulated this page as we wanted and printed it out and have never bothered with driving directions. And you have to hide the directions stuff on the new one now if you don't want that.

One vote for Old Map.

Isn't it just as easy to click on the Geocaching.com Google Map link on the left, as it was to click on the map to the right?

Have you noticed yet that the new map will also show any child coordinates on it that may exist for the cache. I find that pretty cool, and very useful.

One vote for Old Map.

What was there before is still available and much more. Your navigation patterns may need to change a little but once you've done some exploring you should find a map that suits your needs.