Magellan Explorist 500

This is my first post here, we are new to geocaching and new to a gps so please be gentle and be kind. I just can't seem to figure this GPS out, a lot of what I read has technical words that I don't know what everything even means. I don't feel this GPS came with much as to telling you how to use it beyond what each button does.

We bought it a couple of months ago, somehow my husband had a map on it, I now cannot figure out how or where he got the map from as after going to the Magellan site and finding an update there is now no maps on it. I thought it came with the maps that were on it, but apparently not. The reason I did the update is because we could not get it to allow us to load the coordinates onto it, we have only done 2 caches and we ended up doing them by first already having an idea where they were because they were in our community, and then just writing down the coordinates and using the GPS to find our way.

I have now finally managed to get the coordinates onto it, the program it came with did absolutely nothing, it wouldn't even recognize the GPS(which is why I tried the update but it made no difference), then I tried GSAK because of reading about it on here, it wouldn't work, just kept telling me I didn't have permission or something to that effect. I then downloaded MapSend Lite from the Magellan site and it is with it I was finally able to get the coordinates to load onto my GPS.

So now what about maps? I can't believe these things don't come with any map whatsoever, completely blank? I really cannot afford to go and spend $100 or more(or really even less) on maps to put on it. I can't find anything on the Magellan site or in the instructions about maps besides them selling them, I can't find how to put maps on, I have seen mentioned about free maps here and there, but so far the only free map sites I have found have nothing even on them(at least not maps I would be looking for). I am in Canada and basically right now need a map for Alberta in there. We are going on a little trip next week and were hoping to look for some caches while we are actually away as it's so rare for us to go anywhere.

Please can some gentle soul with a lot of patience help me or guide me where I can get help? I'm not a stupid person but for some reason this thing has got the best of me, I really need a "For Dummies" book for the dadgum thing!

Calgary,

I don't have a 500, but I do have a 400, but maybe I can help. Magellan's in the box info on unit operation was kind of scant. A bit of a learning curve. You'll find a lot more help here looking for old Magellan Explorist threads.

Sounds like, from your description, that the unit lost it's North American "Basemap" after you guys did a firmware update from Magellan's site. That happens sometimes during FW updates, unfortunately.

Your unit's basemap should only show major highways, no detail street stuff. I don't know if your unit was new in box or used. If it was used and it did have a detail map loaded in internal memory, then the FW upgrade smoked that too. Detail maps are cut from the Magellan software, BTW.

If your map page is totally blank, but the unit does work (acquires sat-signals, can take waypoints that you set, saves track liines, etc.) then you can drag and drop a new copy of the basemap back into internal memory. Most of us who've dealt with these units usually back up a copy of the basemap just for this reason. There used to be a place online (not Magellan) where you could find basemaps. If I can't locate it, maybe soemone else here knows the link.

Calgary,

I don't have a 500, but I do have a 400, but maybe I can help. Magellan's in the box info on unit operation was kind of scant. A bit of a learning curve. You'll find a lot more help here looking for old Magellan Explorist threads.

Sounds like, from your description, that the unit lost it's North American "Basemap" after you guys did a firmware update from Magellan's site. That happens sometimes during FW updates, unfortunately.

Your unit's basemap should only show major highways, no detail street stuff. I don't know if your unit was new in box or used. If it was used and it did have a detail map loaded in internal memory, then the FW upgrade smoked that too. Detail maps are cut from the Magellan software, BTW.

If your map page is totally blank, but the unit does work (acquires sat-signals, can take waypoints that you set, saves track liines, etc.) then you can drag and drop a new copy of the basemap back into internal memory. Most of us who've dealt with these units usually back up a copy of the basemap just for this reason. There used to be a place online (not Magellan) where you could find basemaps. If I can't locate it, maybe soemone else here knows the link.

Thank you for your kind reply Woodstramp!

I guess if it should have had a basemap then that must have been what happened, I thought it kind of odd that they wouldn't come with any map at all. We did buy it brand new, I wish my husband had let me research units first but he saw it on sale and bought it before I had a chance to check out details and see which unit might be best for us.....he's the impulse buyer in the family LOL.

I figured there was nothing to back up since we had not added anything and assumed what was already on it would remain LOL. Obviously I was wrong with that assumption!

I've spent(wasted?) 2 days on this thing now LOL, every time I think I find something that is going to work it doesn't so I guess I'm giving up for now unless I can find some true free maps that will actually work(thought I did but GPS keeps telling me there's a security error when I try to make it active)....or until I can afford to purchase maps, then I guess it's a matter of figuring out which ones.

Thanks again!

You might have turned the basemap off by pointing to a different file. In my version of firmware, in the Menu under active maps, you can choose your basemap, and detailed maps. In other versions, choose Preferences, then look for the map submenu.

If you need the basemap, go here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eXplorist/files/

You will install it in the "Background Maps folder in the internal memory (not on your SD card.)

There are some some good firmware updates at the Yahoo group site, but do not install any until you know which ones work with your unit's serial number.

However, the basemap is useless and you want a detailed map, either street or topo, like Mapsend Topo. http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/magellan/explo...00/mapping.html

This site also gives instructions for replacing the basemap.

Here is your Map compatabiity chart: http://www.magellangps.com/products/ms_compatibility.asp

Once you create map files from the CD you buy, and install them in the Map folder, you need to point to the file in the menu you want active.

If you get past your slow start and problems you will find that these are great units. I started with a 210 then moved to a 500. My mother started with a 400. I found over 2000 caches with mine before upgrading to a Delorme. Here is a secret that most people who have spent big money on expensive GPSrs with expensive map packages don't want out....... Now keep this quiet.......... just between you and me........... most cachers are wasting their money on maps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most cachers don't need them!!!!!!!!

I had the basemap on my 210 and 500. If I got off a major highway I had a blank screen with just an arrow and a line to the cache. And it worked, well most of the time. There were the times that the cache was missing (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). I now have a Delorm PN-30 with topo and street maps. They are nice but my find count hasn't increased over what I was getting with the eXplorist. I have a Garmin Nuvi 205W that I use for street routing.

What you need to do is pick a cache or 3, load them into your GPSr, check Google Maps to drive to the closest parking, hit Goto and pick the closest cache and follow the arrow. When you get 20-30 feet away quit looking at the screen and start looking for the cache. You'll find many that way and you'll DNF many that way (they're missing, that's your story and your sticking to it!). Get some experience under your belt and figure out what is important to you, then upgrade to an expensive GPSr with and expensive map package and we won't let anyone know that you don't really need it!!!

As for loading them. When you plug the eXplorist into your computer it should load up just like a thumb drive. You will need to use Mapsend Lite or GSAK to convert the .loc or .gpx file from Geocaching.com to a .gs file that the eXplorist can read. You the drag and drop the .gs file into the Geocaching folder on the eXplorist. You the load that file in your Active Map screen and you'll see them on your screen. One trick, the eXplorist can only handle 200 waypoints in each file. You can put as many files on the unit that the memory can hold.

Escout,

That's interesting about the 500. You can't turn off the basemap on a 400.

Oh....thanks for that Yahoo link. That's the one I couldn't find.

Jeff,

I really like my Explorist too. Mine just keep on going like the Energizer bunny. :mad:

You mentioned (recommended to Calgary) to use Mapsend or GSAK. Have you tried Vantage Point with yours? I used to use EasyGPS to load cashes, but now I only use VP. It's swap tracks, WP, caches and If you already have detail maps on your unit (internal or on SD) you can transfer those back into VP. If I coul only figure out how to make my old Mapsend maps CD talk with VP, that would be great.

This is just the info I was looking for! Thanks for the way to load caches etc onto this darn thing!!

I've had it for about 5 years, but only managed to find a few caches as I got so fed up with trying to load the co-ordinates onto it! And couldn't remember how I fluked those few!!

My hubby gave it to me for a present and at the time I'm sure you could download directly to the unit... seems geocaching.com has become more Garmin friendly these days!!

Am now living in Australia, found a basemap to load and am re-inspired to get hunting!!

Thanks again, off to try my luck this time! :(

Forgot to ask, is there anyway of transferring the hints and descriptions of the individual caches onto the GPS without manually doing each one?

Aussiecat,

Yes. You can use GSAK, EasyGPS, Magellan's Vantage Point and Magellan's Geocache Manager. You are a Premium Member and can get PQ's. Keep the PQ's under 200 caches per file, but you can have multiple files on SD memory.

Your Explorist is not what they call fully paperless. You can only have short hints/destriptions.

Hi I am from Calgary as well....my hubby bought a gps for me and the kids an explorist 500 and I cant figure darn thing out....been on utube, google...blah blah blah...and dont have any maps on it......looking for some help with using this thing...as kids want to go searching...please help thanks