Has anyone worked out how to get rid of the 'Feedback' tab yet?

Delta68

I'm not seeing it, as I use FF 3.6.6 and NoScript. I DO see it under IE 8 though. If I allow "amazonaws.com" and "getsatisfaction.com" under NoScript, it re-appears, so it looks like the tab has something to do with one of those 2 sites. Either way, I normally have them both blocked so it's not appearing for me.

Here you go B)

Right click on the monkey and click New User Script

Give it a name and namespace

add http://www.geocaching.com/* in the includes and click OK

This will then open a text file in notepad or simular

Add this under // ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("#fdbk_tab {display:none}");

Mark :)

Sweet. Thank you. This one is the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" that will push me to use these scripts. So many annoyances lately with the website.

When I first saw the comments about it last night I went looking for it and it took me quite a while to even find it.

It's off to the side and not interfering with anything else on the page. I have plenty of other things in my life that deserve worrying about besides this.

Thanks for the GM and ABP info. I've found ABP better to block this. Using GM, even if the script is first to run and the command first in the script, the image still shows for a second or so before being removed. With ABP the image never shows.

Next challenge: anyone know how to change the waypoint code in the top right back to the previous version? I can easily remove the class but that, unsurprisingly, removes the cache code too.

Next challenge: anyone know how to change the waypoint code in the top right back to the previous version? I can easily remove the class but that, unsurprisingly, removes the cache code too.

why would you want that?

why would you want that?

You mean: why would I want to revert to the previous version? Because that was cleaner, easier to read and easier to copy. The present version serves no purpose*; is harder to read because the huge triangle, which itself serves no purpose, looks like part of the waypoint; and is harder to copy because a mouse over selects the whole page if done from the right (the natural direction).

Regardless of why I want to do it, my comment was for suggestions as to how.

* I'm sure that the developer had a purpose in mind but whatever it is escapes me and as it's not even mentioned in the release notes I can't guess.

why would you want that?

You mean: why would I want to revert to the previous version? Because that was cleaner, easier to read and easier to copy. The present version serves no purpose*; is harder to read because the huge triangle, which itself serves no purpose, looks like part of the waypoint; and is harder to copy because a mouse over selects the whole page if done from the right (the natural direction).

* I'm sure that the developer had a purpose in mind but whatever it is escapes me and as it's not even mentioned in the release notes I can't guess.

Clicking on the triangle brings up the url to the cache ie.. http://coord.info/GC24P0T pre highted and ready for cut n paste.

Maybe the developer is left handed it is most definitly not natural of me to mouse from the right.

Edited by AndrewRJ

which i can't help you with, so i tried to satisfy my curiosity, because personally i see no downside to it. the small triangle doesn't bother me at all, i always copy text from the left (why is from the right the "natural" direction?) so no problem there either, and i can see the intended purpose quite well: quick access to copying a short link to the cache page, as opposed to either copying a long ugly one or converting it to a short one manually. but as i said, just curious.

Edited by dfx

A far narrower (read: better) AdBlock Plus filter to remove the feedback button is this:

geocaching.com##a#fdbk_tab

The previous filter mentioned blocks way way way more than just the feedback button*, this filter just removes the button and nothing more B)

(* All images from Get Satisfaction's AWS hosting space, likely used on all sorts of other sites across the internet would be blocked. This would muck up feedback.geocaching.com for starters)

[clarity edit]

Edited by JeremyR

which i can't help you with, so i tried to satisfy my curiosity, because personally i see no downside to it. the small triangle doesn't bother me at all, i always copy text from the left (why is from the right the "natural" direction?) so no problem there either, and i can see the intended purpose quite well: quick access to copying a short link to the cache page, as opposed to either copying a long ugly one or converting it to a short one manually.

I am not the person who brought this up, but I am annoyed by the change too. I sometimes copied the waypoint code directly from the cache page to send it to someone - I do not want to perform a click and I have no use for the link that when shows up (of course I could then apply the cut command, but that takes much longer as it took before).

Moreover, I am annoyed by the many and frequent changes of the way how the cache pages, the profil etc look like. I am used to find certain things at a fixed place and with the current rate of changes I am extremely unhappy and frustrated.

Cezanne

Moreover, I am annoyed by the many and frequent changes of the way how the cache pages, the profil etc look like. I am used to find certain things at a fixed place and with the current rate of changes I am extremely unhappy and frustrated.

Yes, that's me too. Recently I seem to spend more time working round problems created by Groundspeak than actually doing caching. The completely unnecessary change of URLs in the notification email has broken a complex GSAK macro of mine so now I need to spend time fixing that B).

I wouldn't mind if any of the recent changes were actually of any use: it's all just change for change's sake.

The completely unnecessary change of URLs in the notification email has broken a complex GSAK macro of mine so now I need to spend time fixing that B).

not sure what you use that link for, but in my use case there was an easy fix: convert the link the script uses to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCXXXX

Try this GM script:

GC.com GC Number Restorer

Restores the waypoint code to how it was but leaves the drop-down arrow for the coord.info box intact. Picture says a thousand words:

gccom_gc_number_restorer.png

This thread is veering off course.

As to the original topic - the feedback tab SHOULD have a small x or something similar in the corner that'll hide it for the current cookie cycle. This is pretty standard web design type stuff - maybe the geocaching coders need to get out a bit more?

Try this GM script:

Restores the waypoint code to how it was but leaves the drop-down arrow for the coord.info box intact. Picture says a thousand words:

Perfect! Just what I was hoping for!! May I suggest, though, that you start a thread just for that, so it doesn't get buried deep in this thread?

The Feedback tab is not THAT obtrusive. Just ignore it. To hear some people complain, you'd think it was a huge banner across the middle of the page or something.

That's not the point!

The point is, that every month 'improvements' are made to the site which which no-one wants and we then have to find a work around

Meanwhile, genuine bugs hang around for years! B)

May sound harsh but it's true...

Mark

Try this GM script:

gccom_gc_number_restorer.png

Very nice. I sometimes copy the GC # by double clicking on it, this restored that functionality. Thanks!

Try this GM script:

Had to turn off GC Tidy to get it to work. B)

GM scripts can sometimes conflict with one another but you can normally rectify the situation by changing the order in which they're run. Open the 'Manage Scripts' dialog box from the Greasemonkey menu and switch the two scripts so they're the other way around (click and drag the script's name in the list on the left), refresh the page and see if that solves the issue. It should unless they're mutually incompatible (which is unlikely).

I see I am not the only one that thinks the new waypoint code "feature" is crap.

The Feedback tab doesn't bother me where it is. I might even click on it some day and find out what it does.

I see I am not the only one that thinks the new waypoint code "feature" is crap.

FWIW I don't think it's crap. The ability to get a shortened URL easily is very nice. However, most of the time I don't need the URL, but only the GC code. Losing the ability to double click to automatically select that wasn't nice. The GM script by JeremyR is exactly what I needed.

FWIW I don't think it's crap. The ability to get a shortened URL easily is very nice. However, most of the time I don't need the URL, but only the GC code. Losing the ability to double click to automatically select that wasn't nice. The GM script by JeremyR is exactly what I needed.

+1

I need the link less often than I need a copy of the GC code. The script gives us the best of both.

The point is, that every month 'improvements' are made to the site which which no-one wants and we then have to find a work around

Thousands of people are already using that feedback area so this definitely doesn't fall into the category of improvements that no-one wants.

Meanwhile, genuine bugs hang around for years! B)

Not every bug is worth fixing.

Which is more important :- to fix a minor bug that affects a few people or to add functionality that lots of people can potentially use?

In the software business, perfection is something that is rarely possible or practical. If every bug had to be fixed we'd never ever see anything new since the developers would always be chasing their tails.

From what I've seen, the major bugs are fixed almost immediately after the monthly release.

I don't necessarily agree with where GS does invest their development resources but it can be a very subjective topic. Maybe the new feedback feature will finally GS the kind of data they they need to see where geocachers want development resources used.

GM scripts can sometimes conflict with one another but you can normally rectify the situation by changing the order in which they're run. Open the 'Manage Scripts' dialog box from the Greasemonkey menu and switch the two scripts so they're the other way around (click and drag the script's name in the list on the left), refresh the page and see if that solves the issue. It should unless they're mutually incompatible (which is unlikely).

Tried that 1st (should have said that, bad on me) and it didn't work.

But, I just got notified of a new version of GC Tidy. Installed it, and it's back to working with GC Number Restorer.

no-one? how do you know that?

speak only for yourself B)

Change that to "no-one has asked for" and I think you can agree.

not necessarily, i don't know what people ask GS for. nobody in the forums asked for it, but the forums aren't everything.

not necessarily, i don't know what people ask GS for. nobody in the forums asked for it, but the forums aren't everything.

Well as of this update we can go look at the feedback database.

Yeah, but I seriously doubt that more people put in feature requests privately than in the forums. I could be wrong, though...

To quote a certain myopic dog in another thread, "You forget about Jeremy, apparently." :)