Need help attaching hitchikers

Prescott Patrol

I am putting together a series of TB's and am trying to work out a way to attach them to the hitchikers. Here is my issue.

The laws enforcement agency I work for has been minting challenge coins for a few years now. This year they are releasing a challenge coin for each of the nine deputies that have been killed in the line of duty. One side will have the respective deputy's portrait on it and the other will have the department seal. So far the only way I can conceive of attaching the TB to the coin is to drill the coin and use threaded/twisted cable with ferrules. But, I'd rather not drill a hole into the coin if I don't have to. However, I do want these to last.

Similar Challenge Coins

cp3956hillsboroughcoinLG.jpg

Those are handsome coins.

I think you're right... drilling, and using cable would be the most secure way to attach the TB tags.

I guess you're aware that one of the regular bits of advice given on this forum is "don't send out any item that you'll be upset to lose"? If you drill the coins then hopefully that will make them a bit less attractive to any light-fingered folks who find them.

I hope those who find them will appreciate the stories behind the coins and will move them along conscientiously. Good luck.

MrsB

With all serious thought...

Even drilling, these coins are GOING to be taken/"lifted"/held/kept. This would be done by those that think they are too beautiful to let go of, and by those that have little respect to the honor -- probably destroying it altogether.

I could not send these out as traveler's, nor do I think that I could drill or alter them in any fashion. Just my opinion, but to alter these coins as such actually defiles the officer in memory.

I understand and agree that it would be nice to have them released for all to see/move -- but we are in the real world, correct? Personally, it is my belief that they are far better served in either a private or public collection (protected). Honor and tribute may then be given by those who appreciate.

That said -- if you do wish to drill, have a well-seasoned metalsmith/jeweler do it. At least it would be accomplished in a manner/style befitting the coin.

Yes, you can do it at home, but could you even come close to the job done by somebody well versed in doing such? The coins appear to be of excellent quality, and if such is the case only a person with the experience in that type of work can do so w/o further damage to finish, enamel and/or coatings.

Whatever your choice, good luck. B)

With all serious thought...

Even drilling, these coins are GOING to be taken/"lifted"/held/kept. This would be done by those that think they are too beautiful to let go of, and by those that have little respect to the honor -- probably destroying it altogether.

I could not send these out as traveler's, nor do I think that I could drill or alter them in any fashion. Just my opinion, but to alter these coins as such actually defiles the officer in memory.

I understand and agree that it would be nice to have them released for all to see/move -- but we are in the real world, correct? Personally, it is my belief that they are far better served in either a private or public collection (protected). Honor and tribute may then be given by those who appreciate.

That said -- if you do wish to drill, have a well-seasoned metalsmith/jeweler do it. At least it would be accomplished in a manner/style befitting the coin.

Yes, you can do it at home, but could you even come close to the job done by somebody well versed in doing such? The coins appear to be of excellent quality, and if such is the case only a person with the experience in that type of work can do so w/o further damage to finish, enamel and/or coatings.

Whatever your choice, good luck. B)

I am all too familiar with the real world. There is a great likelyhood these will be lifted. But, I can't live my life in fear of things happening. Worst case scenario I am out about $10 per coin.

GG, hence you see my dilema in drilling the coins. They are not minted yet (the ones above are from a different dept. and only an example) but if past coins are any indication they will be of excellent quality. As a peace officer myself I know first hand the sacrifices these men in my department have made. I have a flag pole in my front yard that I fly at half staff everytime a police officer is killed. Which has been pretty much all month with the five separate CHP deaths we've had. Everyone has their opinion on whether this or any other memorial is appropriate. Even the coins themselves. I will have a separate collection of coins for myself.

I am debating encasing the coins in a clear resin and then drilling through the resin. I have thought about those clear plastic coin cases but I fear they won't be sturdy enough.

Thanks for your input guys. It is very much appreciated.

Edited by Prescott Patrol

what about using a coin bezel holder? you could then encase the coins in a clear resin with just the ring sticking out

I don't know what a coin bezel holder is. I went to a coin shop today and saw what i was told were "Coin Slabs". I think I am going to use those. Below is a picture of what I am talking about.

slab_holder_2.jpg

what about using a coin bezel holder? you could then encase the coins in a clear resin with just the ring sticking out

I don't know what a coin bezel holder is. I went to a coin shop today and saw what i was told were "Coin Slabs". I think I am going to use those. Below is a picture of what I am talking about.

slab_holder_2.jpg

Coin Bezel holder