Unit Crash

I have had my Venture HC for about a yr and half. Today as we approached our first cache of the day the screen went blank. The rechargeable batteries were fully charged, no trauma to the device, I don't think I have ever dropped it. So..... we switched out batteries, the screen 'flashed' like it always did when it was turned on, then nothing. Blank screen, no sounds.....nothing. Tried a few battery changes, again nothing. When we got home I hooked it up to the PC.....nothing......tried to load a cache.......computer says no device connected.

Anybody know what happened? Has this happened to anyone else. I am unhappily surprised. :o

When I plugged the GPSr in the computer with the USB cable I was able to power up the device. I backed up the data in Mapsource, then deleted all the info before doing a Hard Reset. I put the batteries back in and was able to use the device. I transfered all the data back to the device and it still works.