Oregon x50 software version 3.61 Beta

allory

Oregon x50 software version 3.61 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4743

Changes made from version 3.52 to 3.61:

* Added Track Archiving (See http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/20...-archiving.html for more information)

* Added Automatic Shaded Relief option. This setting will disable Shaded Relief when zoomed in.

* Updated map review of tracks and routes. The distance shown is now the distance along the route or track.

* Added additional data to track and route review pages.

* Improved map drawing speed.

* Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com.

FYI....

After doing the update, my waypoints are missing. Both in "Where to?" and Waypoint Manager. They still seem to be in the .gpx folder, but I can't access them in the Oregon 550. It also appears my saved tracks are not accessible.

Edited by Newsdude

FYI....

After doing the update, my waypoints are missing. Both in "Where to?" and Waypoint Manager. They still seem to be in the .gpx folder, but I can't access them in the Oregon 550. It also appears my saved tracks are not accessible.

On my 550, all my waypoints and tracks were unaffected by the update. All both visible and accessible.

FYI....

On my 550, all my waypoints and tracks were unaffected by the update. All both visible and accessible.

worked for me too. (450)

Edited by dfx

No problems with tracks or waypoints here. I selected daily track archives and it seems to chunk my current tracklog up into daily gpx files properly.

I have noticed that when I'm on the map page and select a point where there are multiple objects I see the button appear in the upper right corner but I can't seem to select it. Anyone else?

My caches, waypoints and favourites are still visible.

One thing I did notice - when booting, the gps tries to establish a connection to the satellites before it gives the "Loading complete - click screen to continue" (or whatever it normally says). It used to be that if I was booting the unit indoors, after the "Loading Complete..." message arrived, it would allow me to access the unit but now it seems to keep trying to find satellites longer, before giving up and saying "Satellites could not be found", then continuing the boot process.

Not a big issue unless you demo indoors often...

I upgraded to 3.61 during breakfast and after the reboot my Oregon550 got stuck at the screen where the Garmin logo is displayed. Then I found this thread and read Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide's post about the need for satellites during an unusual phase of the boot process. So I put my O550 outside, nothing changed for 5 Minutes. I rebooted outside, got a sat fix, the unit started as normal and I verified that 3.61 was running. Then I took the unit back inside the house where I lost sat reception again. This caused the unit to freeze. Now I'm back at 3.52 and lost all user data during the downgrade process. Thank you, Garmin, for offering such a bad beta for download.

Okay. I lost all of my waypoints and geocaches too. But, they came back after I did the following:

1. Moved my waypoints to the SD Card

2. Turned unit off

3. Removed the SD Card where I usually keep all of my geocaches and for now my waypoints

4. Started the unit without the SD card

5. Turned off unit

6. Placed SD card back in unit

7. Started unit, then all the waypoints and geocaches came back

Yipee! Everything else seems to be working as advertised.

Note: I might keep my waypoints on the sd card from now on.

I upgraded to 3.61 during breakfast and after the reboot my Oregon550 got stuck at the screen where the Garmin logo is displayed. Then I found this thread and read Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide's post about the need for satellites during an unusual phase of the boot process. So I put my O550 outside, nothing changed for 5 Minutes. I rebooted outside, got a sat fix, the unit started as normal and I verified that 3.61 was running. Then I took the unit back inside the house where I lost sat reception again. This caused the unit to freeze. Now I'm back at 3.52 and lost all user data during the downgrade process. Thank you, Garmin, for offering such a bad beta for download.

Weird - this morning I started the unit indoors and it came up to the "loading complete" screen in much less time than I expected. So I shut it off and restarted the unit one more time, timing it this time, and it took 14 seconds in total to start!

Much faster than any time in the past.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

actually i had my oregon 450 freeze on me during bootup with the 3.52 firmware once as well. specifically it happened when i tried to load a single 4800-cache GPX file, which contained a total number of waypoints above the 5000 mark. now i don't know if that was the actual reason for the freeze, because i never really tried to reproduce it, and after it froze i split the data up into two GPX files (with the first one containing only 5000 waypoints, which made it about 4200 caches, and the second file containing the rest) and that made it boot up fine.

a firmware update very likely causes the oregon to wipe its internal waypoint memory and makes it import everything from GPX again, so maybe that's just what happened to you, you hit the same bug (?) that was already present in the firmware. i never used it with the non-beta firmware, so i don't know if it had any similar issues.

in any case, moving all GPX files off the unit, booting it once, and then putting the GPX files back should restore all waypoints and tracks.

How about map rendering? Is it faster?

there is a noticeable difference. i didn't try it out in the field yet, but when turning around indoors (which will rotate the map through the compass), instead if having only the arrow turn and the map not update, and then the map update only once you stopped turning, it now rotates the map right away and hardly ever rotates the arrow alone. it still takes a fraction of a second to update the map though (while before the arrow would turn instantly), so i don't know if i like this part of it better. zooming in and out and scrolling around on the map screen also seems faster now, i would say the time you have to wait for the map to update it roughly halved now.

Edited by dfx

FYI....

Reverted back to 3.52, waypoints were there. Upgraded to 3.61 again and this time waypoints and tracks were all available.

After dinner I gave 3.61 another chance and guess what? No problems so far. My profiles are back, waypoints and geocaches are back, the unit doesn't freeze without gps reception any more. I think it's very strange that the same GPS unit behaves so differently with the same software update in the morning and in the evening.

Maps are displayed much faster than before with this software version. The geocache filter bugs are still present (means: not working at all).

Well, I had my scare loading this firmware.

The firmware file verified and loaded (blue scroll bar).

However, after the reboot, it got stuck at the Garmin screen, with no text around the Garmin logo.

After ten minutes, I had to pull the batteries, as even a long hold on the power switch did not work.

Thankfully, it went through (a very long) loading cycle and powered up.

I'll try it out today and see what happens...

one thing i noticed is that occasionally the GPS would hiccup, meaning it would stop updating the position even though reception would be good. turning it off and back on fixes that. not sure if that was introduced with this beta or is a general/older problem, but i never noticed it doing that before...

I installed this on my Oregon 450 last week, and today ran into some problems. I went caching, turned my Oregon on, and it immediately shut off after 1 second of the main screen coming up. I would turn it back on, and then it would freeze at the black bootup screen, forcing me to take the batteries out. After putting the batteries back in, the exact same thing would happen. These were fully charged eneloops, but just in case I tried another set of fully charged eneloops..Same problem. It was so frustrating. Anyways, I came home and loaded back v3.51 and I haven't had any problems since (crossing fingers), but I did lose all my settings and everything, which was extremely frustrating.

i'm seeing relatively frequent bootup freezes as well. it seems to happen when the device is deleting waypoints/caches out of the internal memory, after the source GPX files have been deleted or updated. very annoying.

Edited by dfx

I'm starting to wonder if the last 2 posts (boot freezes) might be "series specific"? I mean...to the 450. I loaded 3.61b on June 30th, and have used my 550t daily since then, and have experienced no problems whatsoever. Will keep watching this topic with interest.

Bill

I'm starting to wonder if the last 2 posts (boot freezes) might be "series specific"? I mean...to the 450. I loaded 3.61b on June 30th, and have used my 550t daily since then, and have experienced no problems whatsoever. Will keep watching this topic with interest.

Bill

+1

I also have a 550t, loaded 3.61b soon after it was issued, and haven't had any problems thus far.

--Larry

Bill

+1

I also have a 550t, loaded 3.61b soon after it was issued, and haven't had any problems thus far.

--Larry

+2

My 550 has USB connection issues but V 3.61 works perfectly for me so far.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I had problems with V3.61 on my 550. At one point during my caching day, the unit shut down. After turning it back on, my day's track was gone. When I got home and hooked up to the computer, the track log file was there, but it would not show on the gps. Was also noticing map draws were slow during the day. Went back to V 3.51.

I'm using a 450 and had really bad experience with the Beta this weekend with slow map redraws and the accuracy didn't seem to be a good as normal with some jumping around (not using WAAS).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to downgrade to the previous firmware version? (Where to DL and how to install).

I'm using a 450 and had really bad experience with the Beta this weekend with slow map redraws and the accuracy didn't seem to be a good as normal with some jumping around (not using WAAS).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to downgrade to the previous firmware version? (Where to DL and how to install).

Can't you just go back to the web updater? I think that will put the production version back on.

Hi,

I've noticed two important bugs in this 3.61 beta:

1) Different portions of the tracks cannot be viewed (are invisible) for some levels of zoom. They cannot be viewed unless you zoom out several times.

2) When selecting a point in the map that matches multiple items, the small icon at the upper right corner is not clickable.That icon is the one that allows to select one item or another.

I've reported both of them to OregonBeta. None of them were in the previous beta (3.52).

Regards,

Well, I loaded the latest beta early last week, seemed to be okay initially. On Friday i started having problems with slow map redraw. When I changed zoom level, I lost my current track for 4-5 seconds. at one point I was heading SW according to the GPS and NE by the compass. On Saturday, it seemed ok until I shut it off, it froze at the splash screen. I pulled the batteries several times and finally removed the microSD card. It booted fine but left me with no maps or geocaches. I tried the card later and it booted fine. :laughing:

When i tried to connect to my computer, things got really weird, I get the prompt about going into mass storage mode, then the computer connected to the GPS screen, thn it reboots, shows the Garmin splash screen, then reboots, and repeat again and again........until I pull the batteries.

I tried a master reset to no avail.

I went out yesterday on a hike with friends and found 11 caches, later after powering down, i see that all the caches i logged as found where no longer on the found list,

I dunno whats going on, it first I thought the SD card going bad but the USB connection issues seem to point to a problem with the GPS