Bug 11

Pinehurst

Check GeoBain's sig for his enhanced ignore script. :signalviolin:

yeah i tried that, but it still doesn't keep the thread from popping up in the "new posts" list. and silly me keeps clicking on it.

First, if everyone would just quit replying, a certain yellow creature would tire of the whole thing.

But, if you are OCD as I am and cannot resist the urge, I can indeed help you out.

PM me. I have a script that will make all threads started by someone go poof.

First, if everyone would just quit replying, a certain yellow creature would tire of the whole thing.

i think most everyone figured that out by now, but that doesn't keep a certain someone from "bumping" the threads anyway. smiley-bangheadonwall-yellow.gif

But, if you are OCD as I am and cannot resist the urge, I can indeed help you out.

thanks. i already found the other ignore enhancement script strangely unsatisfying, but i'm willing to give it a try. consider this to be the PM.

Bump

OK, I know essentially I am doing the same thing, but why on earth would you possibly bump a thread a few short hours after you posted, and a on a resolved issue to boot?

At one point I thought you were doing this all as a joke, however now fear you are not doing this out of humor, which is quite worrisome.

It got too far down. No one answered my questions. No i'm not doing it out of humor, why is that worrisome?

Some of us are actually working, or God forbid, Geocaching during the day. We get email notifications which alerts us that the thread is still active. The fact that you feel that your thread must remain at the top of the list is rather egotistic, IMO.

To answer your specific question. The moderator was trying to impress the point that not every reply HAS to be answered. I'm mean, you're a sponge, right? Perhaps you can simply absorb the helpful information that the others are supplying you, instead of trying to instantly squeeze it right back out.

1. How do you get emails?

2. I just need it near the top when i'm waiting for replys.

3. It does not have to, but it would be nice.

4. What info.?

Check GeoBain's sig for his enhanced ignore script. :signalviolin:

yeah i tried that, but it still doesn't keep the thread from popping up in the "new posts" list. and silly me keeps clicking on it.

1. What does tire mean?

2. Why would you want threads to go poof, and are you sure that is not agenct the rules, tos, and/or law?

i think most everyone figured that out by now, but that doesn't keep a certain someone from "bumping" the threads anyway. smiley-bangheadonwall-yellow.gif

thanks. i already found the other ignore enhancement script strangely unsatisfying, but i'm willing to give it a try. consider this to be the PM.

1. Who?

1. What does tire mean?

2. Why would you want threads to go poof, and are you sure that is not agenct the rules, tos, and/or law?

I am going to take one more crack at this and then do my best to try and take GeoBain's advice. I still think this you are either trolling or think this is somehow funny, so in a way you hooked me.

The highlighted areas are why no one is taking your posts seriously any longer.

Your first question is what makes me think you're just kidding around since even if it was not heard before or used incorrectly it's meaning was obvious in it's context.

Spelling errors like these once in a while are understandable, however the site or at least most browsers have spell check built in. Before you say again it is too much of a hassle to use, it is too much of a hassle for some to show the questions any respect also. In the forums, as in life, this will get you no where.

If English were your second language, more are tolerated, much more, however you're from the Pittsburgh area and while there may be some jokes regarding that, fairly certain they still use English.

There are no laws that can be broken on a forum short of making a direct threat against someone. I can only assume that you are somehow referring to free speech. Unless GS has been taken over by the US government, just like in real life in private venues, publications, etc, free speech is not guaranteed nor does it apply.

You caught me in the right mood this morning and with little or no patience. I reported the thread to try to get it closed and should have let it sit with that however like GeBain commented, my OCD nature just forced me to feed the troll. Anyone know a meeting I can get help with that?

Edited by baloo&bd

Baloo, I'm glad you said something. I have been trying to figure out if Pinehurst is really serious about the bugs or just making a goofy joke. I am starting to think he's just joking. He seems to know much more about the internet than he pretends to in his "bug reports," and it just doesn't seem genuine.

I for one really don't find it funny anymore... it's a little tedious.

I see Geobain's link in his sig, and Imma use it...

Edited by nymphnsatyr

I'm going to reply one more time too...

Some of us are actually working, or God forbid, Geocaching during the day. We get email notifications which alerts us that the thread is still active. The fact that you feel that your thread must remain at the top of the list is rather egotistic, IMO.

To answer your specific question. The moderator was trying to impress the point that not every reply HAS to be answered. I'm mean, you're a sponge, right? Perhaps you can simply absorb the helpful information that the others are supplying you, instead of trying to instantly squeeze it right back out.

1. How do you get emails?

2. I just need it near the top when i'm waiting for replys.

3. It does not have to, but it would be nice.

4. What info.?

1. At the top of the page, follow the "My Controls" link. On the control panel that comes up, follow the "Email Settings" link on the left. At the bottom of that page, there is an "Enable 'Email Notification' by default?" option.

2. If it isn't at the top, then there haven't been any replies. Besides, there are better ways to view your own posts and the replies to them. For example, at the top of the page, click on the "My Assistant" link, then click on the "My last 10 posts" link. Or go to your public profile page and click on the "See the Forum Posts for This User" link.

3. If you must reply to every comment, then please trim the quotes. You can also combine replies to multiple messages into a single reply as I'm doing here. But really, you don't need to reply to every comment someone posts to a thread you start. You should reply only when you're adding something meaningful to the discussion.

4. Please read and try to understand the replies to your posts. There is good information in many of them, but you seem to be ignoring it.

this is ridiculous. not even the ignore list is helping any more. is there any way to ignore whole threads?
Why would you want to do that?
Some forum threads are like train wrecks. You know that afterwards you're going to regret looking, but your curiosity is strong and you look anyway. A forum feature that allows one to ignore a thread would help those who wish they had more self discipline to just avoid looking at such threads.

1. What does tire mean?

1. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3Atire Specifically, the first result on the page turns out to be: lose interest or become bored with something or somebody; "I'm so tired of your mother and her complaints about my food"

2. Why? See my comment above about forum threads that are like train wrecks. And no, there is no violation of any rules, TOS, or law when someone uses a forum feature or Greasemonkey script to hide content from themselves.

I am closing this thread for the following reasons:

1. Recent posts sum up the current situation of the thread quite nicely, making this a good time for a happy ending.

2. Gratuitously bumping one's own thread is frowned upon as a matter of etiquette / etiket.

3. With all the extra noise in the thread (see Motorcycle Mama's post for a better and complete explanation), the odds of a dev reading and reacting to this thread are effectively zero.

The OP is cautioned (1) not to open another topic on this subject, and (2) not to reply to every post in each of his threads for no reason.