Hobo ball cache

When I lived in the Irish Channel in N'awlins in the last century, you were allowed to sleep on park benches at night, but not in the daytime. The Cops would come around at Dawn, and wake you up by rapping the bottom of your feet with their night sticks. If you got up, you were good to go. If you didn't or gave them lip, they'd haul you off to jail. They never addressed us with the exaulted title of "Hobos"-- the just called us "Bums" as in "Get up, you Bums, Rise and shine, me Darlings!"

We had our code, too. If you passed out in the doorway of a business, and people had to step over you on the sidewalk in the morning, you were looked down upon as somebody of low character, who couldn't hold his likker.

Ah, the good old days, when life was simpler...

I loved this type of hide the first time I encountered it. Cache description was funny talking about how the film canister was incredibly well camouflaged and nearly perfectly blended into it's surroundings. Left me wondering just what the CO crafted. Then I found an ammo can filled with film canisters. :P And they all had a roll of paper (so you couldn't just shake it and toss aside) with all but one printed up with a message like "Nope!" I was laughing for nearly half the time it took me to find the right container. ;) Nah, I did get a big kick out of it.

I think this can be a fun hide, but an area really only needs one such hide as you kind of see it once and then you don't really need to see it again. :mad:

A hobo lived how he lived from choice.

That's not necessarily true. Hobos often had no choice but to travel and find economic opportunities because there weren't any at home.

It's a little silly to say there's NO negative connotation to the word hobo. If someone said you looked or smelled like a hobo, would you take that as a compliment?

If somebody told me I looked or smelled like a sheep shearer I wouldn't be best pleased, and sheep shearers are fine upstanding members of my community.

There is an entire body of literature (not to mention song) devoted to the joys of riding the rails and sleeping under the stars. They had their own pictographs, jargon and code of law. I suppose many of them might have preferred a desk job or a fixed abode, but an awful lot of them waxed awfully lyrical about the joys of living on the road. I doubt there'd be a 20th C folk industry, if you eliminated the hobo from their ranks.

...and I hate suburban yard caches, too. I'll only do them if I am dared and called names...

I suppose many of them might have preferred a desk job or a fixed abode
Moreover, there are hobos that deliberately left desk jobs and fixed abodes:

Source: http://www.infoplease.com/spot/hobo.html

Notable hoboes

Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas (1898-1980) was an extensive traveler and former hobo.

After attending East Illinois State Teacher's College and briefly playing professional football, folk singer and actor Burl Ives took to the rails, supporting himself by working odd jobs and playing the guitar for money.

If someone said you looked or smelled like a hobo, would you take that as a compliment?

No, but as an insult it's pretty weak.

I probably just make fun of their vernacular.

"Listen gussy, I might be on thumb but at least I got moxie."

Edited by BlueDeuce

If someone said you looked or smelled like a hobo, would you take that as a compliment?

No, but as an insult it's pretty weak.

I probably just make fun of their vernacular.

"Listen gussy, I might be on thumb but at least I got moxie."

... and then challenge them to a round of fisticuffs, and give them a prompt thrashing.

I'd call it "Ashnike's Awesome Adventure", myself (sorry, sweet6yt5... forum "in" joke).

We have a cache here in the Twin Cities by a famous local hider that is in a garbage can, but aside from that, it is a straightforward cache. I don't really care for the tennis ball idea. It then becomes a needle in a haystack type of hide... and they can be very annoying. My 2 cents.

awww I love you too dog with glasses

The word "hobo" typically has a negative connotation. Personally, I would not use that word.

really?

hrmm... guess Britt, IA should stop having the Hobo Festival, and my happy hour bar should change its name from Hobo's.

Brits? In Iowa? (sigh) What's the world coming too? Better go practice my darts.