Hobo ball cache

I have an idea for a cache, I have an empty clean garbage bin(round rubbermail one) I plan on putting near the end of my driveway. the coordinates will go to the garbage can, right by a cool tree, I am guessing most would look in the tree before the garbage bin.

On the cover of the bin it will explain that in one of the tennis balls that all have cracks in them, there is a log book, it ust be signed to counts, I think it will look hilarious to se people going through a garbage bin and I live on a semi busy street :o thoughts?

To me hobo cache is the perfect name I just dont know if some would find it offensive

I have an idea for a cache, I have an empty clean garbage bin(round rubbermail one) I plan on putting near the end of my driveway. the coordinates will go to the garbage can, right by a cool tree, I am guessing most would look in the tree before the garbage bin.

On the cover of the bin it will explain that in one of the tennis balls that all have cracks in them, there is a log book, it ust be signed to counts, I think it will look hilarious to se people going through a garbage bin and I live on a semi busy street :o thoughts?

To me hobo cache is the perfect name I just dont know if some would find it offensive

I would take one look inside, see a bunch of tennis balls and realize I have to find the one with the logbook. I have no doubt I would put the lid back on, go to my car and log a dnf. As for the name, is there a reason I should be offended?

I'd do it, then make a point to drive down that street as often as I could, hoping to see another poor sould doing the same thing! :o

What precautions would you take to make sure the cache isn't "muggled" by the garbagemen?

Sure there will be some that will refuse to do it, but you can't please all the people all the time.

The word "hobo" typically has a negative connotation. Personally, I would not use that word.

Really? Where do you get that? Hobos (originally Hoe Boys, literally vagabond farmers) certainly have an interesting history, but I've never heard it to be a negative one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo

http://www.hobo.com/

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I don't find the term offensive, but I don't think it accurately describes the cache either. "Dumpster Dive" would be closer even though the trash can isn't technically a dumpster.

I'd call it "Ashnike's Awesome Adventure", myself (sorry, sweet6yt5... forum "in" joke).

We have a cache here in the Twin Cities by a famous local hider that is in a garbage can, but aside from that, it is a straightforward cache. I don't really care for the tennis ball idea. It then becomes a needle in a haystack type of hide... and they can be very annoying. My 2 cents.

It would be funny to be an observer (watching all the tennis balls rolling down the street for example) but maybe not fun being a finder. I detest residential caches in general and a cache that required me to go through someone's garbage bin in plain view on a residential street isn't one that I'd enjoy.

Put the same cache somewhere with a nice view and nobody watching me and I'd be happy to spend as much time as it required.

A hobo lived how he lived from choice.

That's not necessarily true. Hobos often had no choice but to travel and find economic opportunities because there weren't any at home.

It's a little silly to say there's NO negative connotation to the word hobo. If someone said you looked or smelled like a hobo, would you take that as a compliment?

That's not necessarily true. Hobos often had no choice but to travel and find economic opportunities because there weren't any at home.

It's a little silly to say there's NO negative connotation to the word hobo. If someone said you looked or smelled like a hobo, would you take that as a compliment?

Okay, how about people who have hobo as part of their username. Inappropriate?

Like this?

I'd do it, then make a point to drive down that street as often as I could, hoping to see another poor sould doing the same thing! :o

What precautions would you take to make sure the cache isn't "muggled" by the garbagemen?

Sure there will be some that will refuse to do it, but you can't please all the people all the time.

I think the main reason I want to do this is because it wouldbe funny to see, I am not on a main street but a residential area. I can't see it being much meaner then a long green tube in a clump of field grass hehe:)

I don't find the term offensive, but I don't think it accurately describes the cache either. "Dumpster Dive" would be closer even though the trash can isn't technically a dumpster.

Like this name too!!!

Garbage cans can be moist and slit tennis balls would hold that moisture nicely. Might want to remember that when placing your cache.

Yes thought of this, the tennis balls open up nicely enough to put the log book in a bag(they are actually made to put on the ends of chair legs), Ia m looking at about 20-30 tennis balls and having something in them all for trade:)

It would be funny to be an observer (watching all the tennis balls rolling down the street for example) but maybe not fun being a finder. I detest residential caches in general and a cache that required me to go through someone's garbage bin in plain view on a residential street isn't one that I'd enjoy.

Put the same cache somewhere with a nice view and nobody watching me and I'd be happy to spend as much time as it required.

I might test it out, I know some people hate residential caches the bf does, but it doesnt seem to stop people in our area.

The cans' fine. Not really sure why tennis balls.

All you have to do is put the logbook under the lid and I'd miss it.

hehe, I just want to see people digging in my garbage.

Oh and the garbage can would be stuck to a tree, garbage men wouldnt touch it.

I didn't say it was inappropriate to use the word. I said it's silly to say there isn't a negative connotation to the word.

There are negative and positive connotations to the word, i.e. "smells like a hobo" vs. "Littlest Hobo."

Edited to add that "The Littlest Hobo" is an old Canadian tv show about a dog who travels from town to town, helping people. Not sure if many Americans are familiar with it.

Edited by narcissa
Edited to add that "The Littlest Hobo" is an old Canadian tv show about a dog who travels from town to town, helping people. Not sure if many Americans are familiar with it.

This American lives next door to Canada and is very familiar with The Littlest Hobo.

There's a voice that keeps on calling me

Down the road, that's where I'll always be

Every stop I make, I make a new friend,

Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again

I didn't say it was inappropriate to use the word. I said it's silly to say there isn't a negative connotation to the word.

There are negative and positive connotations to the word, i.e. "smells like a hobo" vs. "Littlest Hobo."

Then you would have to decide if the word is used in a derogatory way. Given the usage for this cache I think it would be hard pressed to say it was. Granted some would wonder but hardly outside of guidelines.

Edited by BlueDeuce
I think it will look hilarious to see people going through a garbage bin and I live on a semi busy street

That's the wrong reason to place a cache. I don't go caching to be laughed at.

I enjoyed the cache here that was placed soley to have people laugh while you get it, it asks you to use stealh mode and make sure no one sees you, yet it's right in the middle of the busiest 24-7 intersection in town. I don't mind it, some might.

I think it will look hilarious to see people going through a garbage bin and I live on a semi busy street

That's the wrong reason to place a cache. I don't go caching to be laughed at.

I agree, but simply because the cache owner is a gurk isn't enough reason to deny a cache.

That show was on the American station also. I remember it well.

On topic, I wouldn't look for this cache, but I bet there would be some that would like it.

Then you would have to decide if the word is used in a derogatory way. Given the usage for this cache I think it would be hard pressed to say it was. Granted some would wonder but hardly outside of guidelines.

It's in poor taste, given the garbage can, but I've seen far worse. Deserves an eyeroll, but probably not a "needs archived."

"Hobo" doesn't (or didn't originally) have negative connotations. A hobo lived how he lived from choice

The choice was dictated by economic hardship. Although I don't find the title offensive - given the songs and stories of Utah Phillips or the "Hobo's Lullaby" - I don't see what a hobo has to do with picking the right tennis ball out of a garbage can. I can't think of too many hobos that would play that kind of ball. I would just hope that the neighborhood dogs don't find it and have a field day.

Edited by mulvaney

<snipped>

"Hobo" doesn't (or didn't originally) have negative connotations. A hobo lived how he lived from choice.

Now, a bum...that was different.

On the OP: Yeah I don't think hobo quite hits it. But I don't think you're overstepping by using it nor is it in bad taste.

And I would search for this one for sure. I'd curse with a smile while doing it, lol.

Sounds great!

Living in the UK there are a couple of caches around that are a little like that and they are hillarious! :)

You will get the occasional cache and dasher who wont be interested but I think its a great bit of fun, as for the name one of our caching friends is called Hobo and one of his caches is a Bin in his driveway! so I think it is very funny yes.

Annyone finding it offensive is just being a little oversensitive. :o

Now I just need a plane ticket to come over there and do the cache :o

Vodor

Edited by Vodor and Scorsby

And, of course, policing the cache would be a nightmare. I did one with fifteen film canisters in an ammo can. Six of them had signatures inside; including on the 'Nope. Look again' paper.

More fun was the gallon container filled with ping pong balls. Ten of the ping pong balls had info written on them, necessary to solve the puzzle to find the final.

Nothing offensive in "hobo" as a title.

The concept has been done to death.

I think this is sorta fun for some cachers the first time they encounter it, so you may have some folks who have fun with it.

Typically the rest of the cachers will either drive off when they open the large container or - a good many, wanting the smiley, will proceed to sabotage the design in several ways: logs will be added to multiple tennis ball containers (or even all of them), balls will disappear, balls will be left on the ground, balls with logs will be marked, subtly or unsubtly, or left on top.

Apparently from your remarks, the point isn't for cachers to have fun, it's for you to have fun watching.

As it happens, just as you seem to think the fun of caching is to be annoying and troublesome to seekers, a good many seekers will feel that the fun of caching is in being annoying right back at the owner of such a cache design. A perfect symmetry.

I'd call it "Ashnike's Awesome Adventure", myself (sorry, sweet6yt5... forum "in" joke).

We have a cache here in the Twin Cities by a famous local hider that is in a garbage can, but aside from that, it is a straightforward cache. I don't really care for the tennis ball idea.

What kind of dog doesn't care about tennis balls?

I think it sounds like fun..My kids would "have a ball" :) looking through them while trying not to look obvious, as I sit in the car laughing. :laughing: As for being offended by the use of the word hobo..really??? B) I would be more offended if someone called me over-sensitive. A hobo is a hobo, a bum is a bum, a drunk is a drunk, a jerk is a jerk...Where do we draw the line on "offensive", and "politically-correct"? Sounds more like censorship to me.

We have a cache here in the Twin Cities by a famous local hider that is in a garbage can, but aside from that, it is a straightforward cache. I don't really care for the tennis ball idea.

What kind of dog doesn't care about tennis balls?

Haha...

and I was just thinking that a lot of folk cache with dogs....your tennisballs might start disappearing, or become a bit slime covered...

I like the idea, glad you are going ahead with it!

I did not see it mentioned (yet)...

I envision 20 - 30 tennis balls rolling down a residential street enough times that the cops are called in to put an end to the madness created by the cache owner w/ the trashcan and tennis balls v. local kids having "fun".

Perhaps that is a true definition of "trashcache". B)

P.S. I hope you have a good reserve of tennis balls because:

1) they will be regarded as SWAG;

2) the local kids/dogs are gonna love them;

3) tennis players will soon learn of a free supply.