Problem with map on cache page.

buddhistmonk

Me too, I tried leaving feedback with the tab on the right...phttt, it does not work either. Put back the old map at the bottom.

2jeeps 2 Jacks -- What browser were you using? and were you logged in when you tried to click on the feedback button

Me too, I tried leaving feedback with the tab on the right...phttt, it does not work either. Put back the old map at the bottom.

2jeeps 2 Jacks -- What browser were you using? and were you logged in when you tried to click on the feedback button

Firefox 3.5.10 & I am always showing being logged in. About half the message shows when typing in the feedback box. It's tough to use that way.

Edited by 2Jeeps2Jacks

It looks like that map has changed a bit. You can easily zoom in/out, switch from terrain/map/satellite views and I also noticed it includes icons for some of the child waypoints. It's very fast too.

For the old map, click on the "Geocaching.com Google Map" to the left of the map on the cache page.

YEAAAA!!!!!!! it works.... When I saw the topic I was worried it had gotten worse than before...

Only improvement left to do that I see, that is not a Google problem, is the icon. Could the Icon be moved just a bit further off GZ and the little pointer made longer and as narrow as possible? Sometimes approaching from the north is the best route, but the last and most critical few feet from that direction are obscured by the icon.

I like the new map. The child waypoints on the map are way cool.

Yeah, so do I. I didn't at first, because I'm accustomed to using that to get to the Geocaching Google maps, but once I get in the habit of using the link on the left for that, this will be a very useful alternate map.

Yup! It's broken in IEv8 on Wondows 7 Pro.

I like the new map and the ability to pan and zoom but it would be nice to be able to click on THAT map to open it in a new window like before the previous map breakage.

I haven't tried this in FF.

I like the new map and the ability to pan and zoom but it would be nice to be able to click on THAT map to open it in a new window like before the previous map breakage.

Click the Geocaching.com Google Map link to the left. That's what you're looking for.

The widget is a 3rd party element from google maps, and clicking the map is a self-contained function for panning, and double clicking for zooming. I think the next best bet for what you want is a link below (outside) the widget to click that would open the GC.com map - but that link already exists to the left of the widget (noted above).

Yup! It's broken in IEv8 on Wondows 7 Pro.

I haven't tried this in FF.

Ok.. Same in FF. It's broken there too.

Click the Geocaching.com Google Map link to the left. That's what you're looking for.

The widget is a 3rd party element from google maps, and clicking the map is a self-contained function for panning, and double clicking for zooming. I think the next best bet for what you want is a link below (outside) the widget to click that would open the GC.com map - but that link already exists to the left of the widget (noted above).

Hard to break old habbits. I don't use those links. They are just clutter I can do without.

Firefox 3.5.10 & I am always showing being logged in. About half the message shows when typing in the feedback box. It's tough to use that way.

2Jeeps2Jacks - Can you try updating it to 3.6 . i cant seem to reproduce it on my box here

I agree. Liked the old map and it would show caches nearby so I could plan for a day of caching. Please put back the old setup.

The old map is still available. Now we have a new one that has a different set of features (although I wish it displayed all visible child waypoints and not just parking and trailheads).

Now they have done it! Why mess with a good thing? They could have added those features to the existing map. Now I have to click the Google Maps button to see caches that are in the same area as the one I am looking at.

I'm constantly baffled. You ALWAYS had to click the link / map to view the other google map page to view the caches. This has NEVER been a feature of the cache map on the cache details page. As the only person who has written the map implementations I can promise this.

-Raine

I agree. Liked the old map and it would show caches nearby so I could plan for a day of caching. Please put back the old setup.

The old map is still available. Now we have a new one that has a different set of features (although I wish it displayed all visible child waypoints and not just parking and trailheads).

It does show all visible. They might be hidden behind other icons.

Can you give me a link to a cache page with this happening?

-Raine

-Raine

-Raine

E.g. this GC2AGR one, should be plenty of examples :o

No, they're not hidden. I've managed to find caches with some of the other child types and it's only the Reference Points that are not appearing.

Here's one page that has Reference Points: GC159WB Notice the cache is not in the center so it knows they're there but no icons.

For this one the map doesn't appear at all: GCR2PZ

Edited by Avernar

I read the thread, and found a solution to my question, but I just have to ask:

why all this change at geocaching.com? most of it looks and feel like change only for the purpose of changing something. Not improving.

And on top of that, I'm kind of surprised of the arrogant attitude when someone dears to ask why....

I'm having an issue with the expandable map on the cache page. The interactive map closest to the bottom. I can't get it to enlarge or give cache details or anything. Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem. makes the map pretty useless looking for additional caches. I tried clicking on the green pointer in the top map window and all it does is give me an enlarged window that does nothing. I have tried it with three different browsers.

Windows Explorer 7

Firefox 3.0.1.5

SeaMonkey 2.0.5

Now they have done it! Why mess with a good thing? They could have added those features to the existing map. Now I have to click the Google Maps button to see caches that are in the same area as the one I am looking at.

I'm constantly baffled. You ALWAYS had to click the link / map to view the other google map page to view the caches. This has NEVER been a feature of the cache map on the cache details page. As the only person who has written the map implementations I can promise this.

-Raine

I guess I'm a little dense because I have tried everything I can think of with the new map and still get no results. With the old map at the bottom of the cache page I would click on the green pointer and it would open the map up to almost full screen and show me the surrounding caches. Now it shows me a cache icon and does nothing when I click it. The only thing I can do is zoom the map in and out but it still doesn't show me any more caches. There was mention of clicking the google maps button. If the reference is to the word google at the bottom left of the map, which is all I see, this will give me a google map of the area but with no caches showing. As I said in my previous post I have tried this with three different browsers. The browser I have always used is SeaMonkey which is supposed to be running on the same engine as Firefox but has mail and newsgroups integrated. It might be helpful if when TPTB make changes it would be good to explain how the changes work.

now as for caches with only a single waypoint (i.e. the cache itself), the new mini map defaults to a zoom level of "all the way in". which is fine on the default terrain view, and somewhat fine on the regular map view, it's not so fine on the satellite view, because all it will show is "sorry we have no imagery here". and it does remember the last used map view.

example: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a5-6acd5654f531

switch to satellite view and reload the page.

I guess I'm a little dense because I have tried everything I can think of with the new map and still get no results. With the old map at the bottom of the cache page I would click on the green pointer and it would open the map up to almost full screen and show me the surrounding caches. Now it shows me a cache icon and does nothing when I click it. The only thing I can do is zoom the map in and out but it still doesn't show me any more caches. There was mention of clicking the google maps button. If the reference is to the word google at the bottom left of the map, which is all I see, this will give me a google map of the area but with no caches showing. As I said in my previous post I have tried this with three different browsers. The browser I have always used is SeaMonkey which is supposed to be running on the same engine as Firefox but has mail and newsgroups integrated. It might be helpful if when TPTB make changes it would be good to explain how the changes work.

Use this link for the old map.

4971a999-eb94-4dd2-889a-fb1db374c83c.jpg

As the saying goes 'If it ain't broke..."

...Oh, why do I even bother!

..but it was somewhat broken and now it is is functional. There were three map options, one of them from two different locations on the page and now you have four. A bit of experimenting should show you the one that best fits your navigational needs. I'm seeing that I'll be using one of two different map links depending on the cache.

As long as the old map is still available, and it is, I think it's a great addition to our arsenal of maps.

I agree. Things change, deal with it and stop whining. We'll have to call the wwwwwaaaaambulance B)

I didn't ever use the Geocaching.com Google Map link but now I will. No big deal.I kind of like the way you can drag that little new map around.

Hard to break old habbits. I don't use those links. They are just clutter I can do without.

No way!! I use them all the time. Sometimes for a plain (non-geocaching) Google map where I can zoom out quickly to see where I'm looking at, but mostly for the Bing maps and their Birdseye view.
Now they have done it! Why mess with a good thing? They could have added those features to the existing map. Now I have to click the Google Maps button to see caches that are in the same area as the one I am looking at. :)
You had to click one thing before, now you just have to click a different thing. I am confident that you can deal with that with enough practice. :(

I just got back after a week offline to find the updates. As one who was critical and extremely disappointed to have lost the lower map functionality with the previous update, I have to say I am extremely pleased with its restoration! Sure it works a little differently, but even with just a couple of minutes playing around it looks to me to be much improved. I love the default zoom level. I don't mind not being able to click on the map to bring up the Geocaching.Google map that shows nearby caches; the link to the left of the extra click on the cache icon is just fine. Paramount for me is being able to print each cache page with the lower map zoomed in on whichever view—terrain, satellite, etc, —shows the cache location clearest. Which I now have back. Fantastic! Additional waypoints are a bonus. What's not to love?

Raine: thank you!

As the saying goes 'If it ain't broke..."

...Oh, why do I even bother!

We'd still be driving Model A's.

:lol: I like the feature s of the new map (second one down the page) but I don't care of the option of click on map and see nearby caches. I plan some of my runs based on a "central Cache" and then expand out for the rout I wish to take. Clicking on the map and seeing the immediate local caches was a plus for me. As it is I have to do a "nearby cache" search and plod through caches I do not want to do at this time to see if they are in the direction I want to go. Please bring back the being able to click on the map to bring up the Geocaching.Google map that shows nearby caches. Thanx NCD