How many people buy coins?

Eastshire

Designing my own coin sounds like a lot of fun. It also sounds expensive. How many people are buying coins? I guess my underlying question is how much of my cost in having the coin produced am I going to recoup in sales? I know it depends a lot on how well people like the coin, but am I likely to sell 10, 50, or more?

Thanks for your input.

What Mike said, with this to add:

I'll go crazy here and say that there is a 80% chance that even a non-commercially appealing coin will sell 100 units. That's because there are people with tastes all over the board, and some % of the population will like it and buy 1, and the rest of those that like it will want to own it in all platings.

Hey take TapTap for example (a gecko-creature). It's basically a "niche" design, a simplistic, slightly cartoony creature. This type of coin has a pretty small market & the design has 160 on reserve (out of 250 to be minted) with all special editions fully reserved. Not a super duper sensation, but a fun little coin that I personally knew some people would like. Whatever doesn't sell I'll release or trade. I'll probably break even.

Just a random thought :o

Edited by Zelanzy

Your best bet: Make something that you can afford and you like - if you sell some, great.

...and if you don't, then you can offer them up for trade in the pinned thread at the top of this forum, thereby accumulating a decent little collection.

Collections amass through purchases and trades and in the end, it all works out pretty much the same (generally speaking).

~J

Edit: spellcheck

Edited by GeocoinGuy

Eastshire,

Check my link to "cointracking.com"....I have quite a few coins which are not available from any vendors.

My prices are very reasonable too. I'm always up for trades too, if there is something interesting to me.

I'll be going to GW8 and will probably see my stock greatly reduced, but will try and keep my listing current with actual inventory.

Make sure you check out the pinned list of vendors at the top of the forum. Many of them will offer you a deal in which -- if they like your design -- they'll mint the design for you and pay you in coins. So yes, they're making the lion's share of the profit, but you do actually get some coins made and in your hands at no cost to you. And many will actually let you set it up so that the coins you receive in payment are in a different plating/different set of colors than the regular version to be sold (this is referred to as an "Artist's Edition"), and those coins usually sell at slightly higher cost (if you choose to sell them) because they're more limited in number.