PA SGL Permissions

shamroxs1982

I am brainstorming ideas about where to put my first cache, and am finding mixed answers about whether I need permission and, if so, who to obtain it from, to place a cache on Pennsylvania State Game Lands. I know I need to state wear orange, and the hunting regulations.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I am brainstorming ideas about where to put my first cache, and am finding mixed answers about whether I need permission and, if so, who to obtain it from, to place a cache on Pennsylvania State Game Lands. I know I need to state wear orange, and the hunting regulations.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

The PA Game Commission doesn't require specific permission for cache placements. You're correct about stating the rules regarding orange. I use the following text on my cache pages:

Safety Note: This cache is located on State Game Lands. Please be familiar with the Game Lands Regulations that apply in this area. A fluorescent orange hat and vest is required November 15 through December 15 except on Sundays. Hunting occurs other times throughout the year as well. Please check the Game Commission Web Site for more information.

Some areas of game lands are designated as propagation and are off limits during certain times of the year. Hiding caches in those areas isn't recommended. Signs should denote the off limits area and date restrictions.

There are also off-limits areas on game lands where the Appalachian Trail runs through. The AT is controlled by the National Park Service, which is not geocacher friendly. The NPS has an agreeement with the game commission to manage Game Lands in the "AT Corridor". It's best to run any hide locations near the AT past your reviewer first to make sure they can be published.

One thing a number of cachers (myself included) do is temporarily disable our caches on State Game Lands during the 2 weeks of buck season (The first Monday after Thanksgiving until sometime in December) in order to help avoid geocacher/deer hunter encounters. Hunters only get to hunt during the fall, and those 2 weeks are the most popular hunting time. I feel it's best that cachers stay out of their way and let them do their thing without interruption during that time. While not a requirement, I think it's the polite thing to do.

If you have any specific questions regarding hiding your cache, email your local reviewer. His/her name should be attached to the "published" log of any recently published cache page.

Edit: from the caches you've found it appears you're in eastern PA, which means OReviewer is your local reviewer. He's a good guy and will be happy to help you if you have questions.

Edited by DocDiTTo

Also be aware that some of the hides you found border DCNR property, an entirely different system requiring permission and now, a fee.

Be sure you're on game lands and you should be fine.

We live close enough that CJ or I will be there in short order. :(

Good luck on your first hide !

Cache safe.

DocDitto: Thank you for the great advice! I really do appreciate it. I will make sure to check into the areas that I am interested in. I know they are not AT affected, but I will check out signage to make sure it's not a propagation area. I agree with you that I don't want to bother hunters. I am happy that they share their land so well, I don't want to be part of changing that at all. Thanks again for your help!

cerberus1: The new DCNR rule was one that kept popping up as I searched for SGL rules. I had one DCNR cache in mind as I brainstormed, but the $25 quickly changed my mind. I know the area I am interested in now is close to two parks, but not in either. I have to check the propagation status though.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice! I want to make sure I do this right, and not annoy anyone. My plan right now is quality over quantity, so hopefully soon I'll have something up and running.

Happy caching!